The IDEAL Halter stance...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAS Hercules

Reaction score
I was hoping that some of you savy Halter exhibitors would share pictures of their Mini's showing the ideal Halter stance :) Puleeze
default_smile.png

Don't know how savy we are but here a couple of pics of our horses that I think are nice shots. Even when you think you are set up perfect for your horse sometimes the judge has a different opinion. During a show before we have been asked to move our horses feet back or forward....? Ultimately you are trying to set your horse up to bring out the best in that horse for the judge to see.

Lita at Nationals

nat8.jpg

ballet3.jpg

Don't know how savy we are but here a couple of pics of our horses that I think are nice shots. Even when you think you are set up perfect for your horse sometimes the judge has a different opinion. During a show before we have been asked to move our horses feet back or forward....? Ultimately you are trying to set your horse up to bring out the best in that horse for the judge to see. Lita at Nationals

nat8.jpg

ballet3.jpg
Lita is so gorgeous
default_wub.png

I Agree here are a few I have.

Ideally I would like to see his neck less outward and more "hooked" he wasn't a huge "baiter" which made it difficult for me to get his neck excentuated.

zorroshowtwo.jpg

While I did show her alot, I chose a fuzzy photo because this is how I like her . She was so preoccupied with her foal this year I was lucky to have her still for a minute, really excited for next year. What I like about her stance here is you can see she is perfectly straight and I didn't move her leg's around one bit to achieve this I really love this part of Fashion. I like how her neck isn't right straight out like a pencil but slightly hooked I'd love to see her ears up and her head out a tiny bit to excentuate her throatlatch. Her topline looks smooth here and you can see her nice tail set which I tapped just mid back to "set".

FashGrownUp2.jpg

Lita is so gorgeous wub.gif
Thank you, we think she is something special. I am looking forward to getting the winter hair off of her this spring and seeing how she matured to a two year old this year.

This horse, Erica's Echos of My Destiny (HOF), co-owed by myself and Erica Killion has had a very successful halter career. He is National Champion in Amateur Halter (huge class), a many many time Champion and Grand Champion with over 50 first place halter wins. He also has his Halter Hall of Fame. This past year, he broadened is show record to include driving and won National Grand Champion, WCP 32"-24" at the 2008 AMHR Nationals. He has done a lot of winning and been a really good boy who earned an "early" retirement at the age of just 5yo
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
Erica and I both have mares in foal to him due SOON and can't wait!!!

Destiny%201.jpg

Destiny%202.jpg

Destiny%204.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is AMHR/ASPC Boinky's Jet Pilot's Rock "E" Landing at 2008 AMHR nationals in Versatility. Ideally i'd like his neck a little more archy than it is in this photo but overall i think it's a good photo!

it really depends on how your horse LOOKS.. some horses look aweful streached and some look way better. really it's very much like showing arabians though.

2008%20Nationals%20I.JPG

this is not the best photo he could rock more onto his forehand and giving his neck a bit better but this is my newest (sorry for the fuzzies) ASPC/soon to be AMHR "owsley forks cool cat".. he hasn't been handled a whole lot through his life so he's not the easiest horse to get to do things.

Cat%201.JPG

woopsie.. double post

Here are a few of my horses. As Terri said you may set your horse up a certain way and the judge may have a different opinion, i.e. horse stretched to much and may ask you to square you horse.

toysm1.jpg

Irish Hills Toys In The Attic - Multi-National Top 10 (6 & 7) Halter Geldings Over

baycongress.jpg

Wall Street Rock "E" Livingston - Congress Champion & Multi-Congress Top 10 ASPC - 2009 AMHR Hardship

carasm.jpg

Erica's Caramel Macchiato - National Top Ten

jinx0916.jpg

Little Kings Junior Jinx - One of my herd sires, never been shown.

Thanks for posting the photos !!!!!

minih, can you post your Avatar photo ??? That horse looks like it is being very well presented :)

minih, can you post your Avatar photo ??? That horse looks like it is being very well presented :)
I would be glad to, this is another picture of Lita taken at Nationals. My husband was on the sidelines with our camera and took quite a few of her. Thank you for the compliment, that is my daughter Chasta showing her. I am the groomer and my husband takes pictures and hauls things around for us.

LIta

I would be glad to, this is another picture of Lita taken at Nationals. My husband was on the sidelines with our camera and took quite a few of her. Thank you for the compliment, that is my daughter Chasta showing her. I am the groomer and my husband takes pictures and hauls things around for us.

LIta
BEAUTIFUL
default_wub.png

I'm confused. I've been told not to stretch them out so much, and a lot of the photos on here they look really stretched out. I thought they were supposed to be in a normal stand with the back legs slightly stretched and the neck stretched slightly too. Like the photos minih posted

Miniatures should be shown square, all four feet straight under their body. Shetlands are shown stretched. A good mini judge should tell you to "Square up your horse" if it's too stretched. Many of the photos of the beautiful horses on this thread are overstretched for the show ring, even though lots of them are in the ring.

Miniatures should be shown square, all four feet straight under their body. Shetlands are shown stretched. A good mini judge should tell you to "Square up your horse" if it's too stretched. Many of the photos of the beautiful horses on this thread are overstretched for the show ring, even though lots of them are in the ring.
I think that is something that is more enforced in AMHA though, i know A stresses to show your horse square, but since i show R
default_smile.png
, i normally square them up or "park them out" just enough to drop the croup and allow them to stand up nice when i ask them to show. If the judge askes you to square up, which i have seen them do although i personally have never been asked to. I don't believe i would park my miniature out to the extreme point like a modern though, i cannot see that look good on most miniatures....its just how they look best. What i do, is i have a large window in my tack room so i will take the horse outside and stand infront of that window and watch the horse "show" in the window (reflection) and play with them and see what i like.

"I think that is something that is more enforced in AMHA though, i know A stresses to show your horse square,"

It is in the rule book that miniature are to be shown (and measured!) standing square. As I said, good judges who follow the rules should ask exhibitors to square up their horses, even if they are parked out only a little.

I appreciate the honest info, in our assn. (Arab) so MANY do not follow or "play by" the rules, I am a stickler for them so I want to know exactly how I am supposed to present my Mini :)

lMO our girl is set up fairly square no big stretch ..
default_biggrin.png

new.jpg

And my fave guy

calgary2008001.jpg

Heres a few of ours, not all are showing but they arent stretched and have good expression.

Gracie Lou ~

CentralsGracie2006.jpg

Calvin ~

calvinlizpic.jpg

Hey Gorgeous

georgiegirlstatefair.jpg

Doors~ just waiting in the tack stall but a good stance

doorstackstall08.jpg

Great stance pix... now how about "giving neck" pix... I show Arabs so I am used to a snakey-hooky neck :) Let me see the little guys showing their stuff, I want to see some EXTREME necks !

Latest posts

Back