The IDEAL Halter stance...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know i have a ton of these photos somewhere, will just post one really quick as im fixing to call it a night...but here is one...just wish his ears had been up,

Westwind BTU Crown Prince Flyte --

1F.jpg

00FlyteSpringtime2.jpg

Then, back after a quick clip reallly early last year...parked just a tad to much

FlyteClipped02x.jpg

Westwind BTU Crown Prince Narko -- As a early yearling ..

4-5.jpg

A gelding i use to own..this is a good example of a square standing horse..looking back i wish i had parked him out an inch or so more..

11-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there are differences between AMHA and AMHR in how a horse is set up for show. So, the way you do it might depend on the registry you are showing in. The 'A' shows prefer a square set and actually mark you down for 'parking out'. The 'R' registry horses are more 'parked out'- hind legs stretched out behind the horse somewhat. I think you can see what I am talking about in some of the photos above. Ideally, the horse is set up so that its conformation and presence is looking its best, too.

Peggy

OK-I should have read all this thread before I posted- guess this topic has already been addressed!

We have no extreme necks here but here's a 32.75" long yearling who does have a decent lenght neck..and oh well stretched way to much..

13-Helgeson038-3872.jpg

wow, being in a different country, i didnt think we would have showed so differently! Now i remember why we always taught our arabs to stack up (or "park" as you call it) when we knew an american was judging hahaha although must admit its getting popular again.

This is how I normallt stand my big horses; with one hind leg back (just for comparison lol)

Ricki2.jpg

My minis are shown square, but not stacked/parked
default_smile.png

sabaargos507.jpg
NMR3.jpg

Royal_09.jpg

MHAA2%201108.jpg

Miniatures should be shown square, all four feet straight under their body. Shetlands are shown stretched. A good mini judge should tell you to "Square up your horse" if it's too stretched. Many of the photos of the beautiful horses on this thread are overstretched for the show ring, even though lots of them are in the ring.
Correct! I've participated at the judge seminar!

A couple of neck shots of Red Alert:

Redi20Pic20by20Richard20Mason.jpg

budinredi.jpg

Regarding the square vs stretched: I show all AMHR/ASPC these days, so that is my point of reference. I do show my minis with more of a stretch than say a stock horse, but nowhere near a Modern Shetland. (Everything is relative.) When you're trying to get neck, which everyone does in the minis, if they aren't stretched just a little, they look like they are going to fall forward IMO which looks kind of silly. Here are a couple of examples of my minis set up like I do it. I think the main goal is to make the horse look balanced.

Charlie

Cong_Nat1772.jpg

Slippers

Slippy0422.jpg

Wow, thanks for the responses !!!

Lisa, gorgeous neck on your guy, and I LOVE the second photo, beautiful !!!

I show Arabian ( sorry repeating that so much ) but we do not "Park" our horses, Parking is for Saddlebreds, in Arabian we split the rear legs slightly and square the fronts ( some people do stretch their horses trying to flatten a peaky croup, but they are not supposed to be stretched very much at all )

Below are photos of My Stallion showing the correct "American" style of presentation, however my horse does not exhibit the extreme fear IE : "dear in the headlights" look many Big trainers get ( my horse respects me, but does not fear me :)

First photo is at a show

st3E.jpg

Second is at home ( he was between shows and slightly chubby :) I wasn't "asking for neck" he was relaxed

spirit01022.jpg

Here is one of our pasture pets that has a beautiful neck.

Buddy

Heres a few FREE standing pictures.

RosieRTSd.jpg

I would like to see her neck more up and Archy. However since no one was asking for anything.,

rosiepose.jpg

Another cute one of her. (There was a board on the ground that wasnt there before)

Sam needed to rock forward a little bit more here. Was mu first time ever setting him up. (Im Proud Of Me)

Badhairday22.jpg

Here hes parked too far in the hind not rocking forward like he should and not up right. Hes very lack luster here. (But still pretty IMO)

samjpg.jpg

Im currently trying to find his EXTREME parked out pictures.

Ill edit once I find them.

Heres a few FREE standing pictures.

Sam needed to rock forward a little bit more here. Was mu first time ever setting him up. (Im Proud Of Me)

Badhairday22.jpg
ACTUALLY... IMHO He looks great as far as the elevation of his head & neck, (I wouldn't "rock" him forward at all) I would just get him to a "poke" to ask for neck, put him back in this frame, then ask for neck another "poke" then back to this etc...while the judges are evaluate him would make for a very pretty picture and be how I would present my Big guy :)

If you ask for neck too long they tend to reach and look all planked out, NOT a pretty picture :-( That's why I get a poke then back, then poke then back, keeps them FRESH and shows more hook. ( BUT This is in Arabian showing, I DO plan to train Herc this way though and see how it works )

Disclaimer ! I am NOT trying to sound like a know it all, just sharing my experience, since what I gather is that the goal is too present very closely to Arabian style :)

Oh, and the Mare, adorable !!!

He is a small shetland and measures as a mini at around 41 maybe, haven't really took a stick to him.

One of our Mares.......River Wood Rapid's Dolly May (below)

dollyleft.jpg

Our Herdsire Tibbs Rapid Transit (below) Resv. Ntl Champ....nice stance from a bit of a different angle......

TRANSITLIZ2005SOFTEDGE.jpg

Stallion.....River Wood Rapid's Inquisitor (below) Multiple Grand Champ ...he could be standing a bit more under himself in front

quizforsaleboard-1.jpg

River Wood's Montego Shasaedoh (below) Top Ten Ntl Champ... back foot is a bit cocked.

MONTYLIZ05fixedandsharpened.jpg

Help a newbie out here, I thought when the hock falls behind the rump thats stretched?

What I think when I see a stretched horse that shouldn't be is, if stood square it would be either camped out or goose rumped.

I think this is the way they are suppose to be stood up.

dustyleft.jpg

PAS Hercules said:
ACTUALLY... IMHO He looks great as far as the elevation of his head & neck, (I wouldn't "rock" him forward at all) I would just get him to a "poke" to ask for neck, put him back in this frame, then ask for neck another "poke" then back to this etc...while the judges are evaluate him would make for a very pretty picture and be how I would present my Big guy :)If you ask for neck too long they tend to reach and look all planked out, NOT a pretty picture :-( That's why I get a poke then back, then poke then back, keeps them FRESH and shows more hook. ( BUT This is in Arabian showing, I DO plan to train Herc this way though and see how it works )
Question- "Poke?"

I'd like to enter Versatility this year so I'm trying to teach my distinctly non-halter-personality gelding to show a stance and I'll take any tricks I can get!
default_laugh.png
Clicker training has gotten him to rock back away from me on command, pull himself up into a bright pose, set his feet (we still need work on not parking out, he loves to park out like a Modern) and we're finally beginning to get ears on command but I really have no clue what I'm doing. Halter is the one discipline I've never enjoyed nor had any luck with teaching...I'm a performance girl all the way! *LOL*

He's got a very low-set neck but it ties in well to his withers and more importantly he's got an extremely clean, thin natural throatlatch with a lot of hook. Hence my need to teach him to set back then hook for me- I want to show that off!

Leia

The "Poke" is when they give neck, but just a quick poke about 2 seconds, then back... not holding their neck out during the whole time they are being judged ( holding it out too long creates the flattened, unflattering neck ) keep repeating the poke as the judges walk around the horse until they move on...

I am trying to figure out how to get this with a Mini, I haven't even started working Hercules, but with an Arabian weanling, I hiss at them to rock back and make the kissing noise and offer my hand or end of the lead to get the poke, as soon as I get the poke, I draw away whatever I offered and bump them up again and hiss to get the head re-elevated and have them rock back again :)

Hope that makes sense !

What you said about Sam is about what I meant but wasn't able to describe.

He is a creeper so we have been enforcing STAY.

I'm confused. I've been told not to stretch them out so much, and a lot of the photos on here they look really stretched out. I thought they were supposed to be in a normal stand with the back legs slightly stretched and the neck stretched slightly too. Like the photos minih posted

I think that AMHR is leaning more towards parking out their horses like the Shetland ponies. In AMHA, the horses still need to be square.

1a-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back