The Hunger Games

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
Have any of you read the trilogy? If so what did you think? Do you plan on seeing the movie?

I have read the 3 books and do intend on going to see the movie this coming weekend.

Read it and loved it. Saw the movie twice already. They do a lot of hand cam and fast close cuts that can be a bit jarring. The cast is amazing and really brought the characters to life. I loved them. Can not say that enough. I will be seeing it again I imagine.

I saw the movie the day it came out, but I've never read any of the books. The movie was really good, but then, I didn't have the books to compare it to. I've heard mixed reviews from those who had read the books first. I'm thining that I'll have to get the books now. :)

My other question, for those of you have seen the movie, is it appropriate for a child of 10 to see? When I was half way through the first book I thought this was not a movie to be seen by kids 13 years and younger because of the violence. The more I read the more I questioned my view. My granddaughter is begging me to take her this weekend. What are your thoughts.

There's a little bit of blood in a couple of scenes, but nothing too gory. You see more on cable tv. I think for a pre-teen it would be ok, as long as you know ahead of time that the story involves children dying (touchy for most people).

I didn't read the books because I don't like "futuristic" fantasy-type things. I also thought they were written for teens, but I keep hearing from adults all over who really loved the books, so I might have to re-think them. I don't plan on seeing the movie, though. Maybe when it comes out on video. We just don't go to the show. It's no fun making a 120 mile round trip to go see a movie!

Read the books-one of my very favorite book series, and I read a lot. I don't plan on watching the movie. I always have a distinct idea of what I think characters look and act like and movies always ruin that for me. The only ones that ever got close were the Harry Potter movies and the Lord of the Rings movies.

I started the first book and I am getting the vibe of 'Edward and Bella'. I did not like the Twilight books so I am not sure why I'm even bothering...I just can't seem to get into tweener stories but I did it because of the hype about it...had to see for myself what everyone was talking about. Honestly so far, I am not impressed, I find the writing boring and amatuer...I am only about 1/3 of the way through the first one....hopefully it will get better. Bad part is, once I start a book (and/or series), I finish it regardless if it's my cup of tea or not, I guess it's my OCD.

I think you'll like it more as you get further into it. IMO it's not even close to Twilight-darker and much less about the relationship of Peta and Katniss. Not as predictable. The last book is my favorite. I am a fan of the writing too-different, vivid. Everyone has their own preferences though. I like most genres, but I can't stand most murder mystery or romance novels. I find them boring and predictable, but those are my mother's favorites. Classics I can read over and over again-Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Forever Amber, etc. By the way, Stephanie Meyer's best book: The Host. A slow start, but fantastic once you get into it. Any Hunger Games fans should read it.

The first thing that came to my mind when reading the books is that it reminded me of The Running Man and it then reminded me of the classic of the kids that crash on the island...dang can't remember the name of it, lol

Read all 3 in about a week! LOVE them, saw the movie this past Saturday, IMO they could have done better with it, but all in all I loved it.

Well I saw the movie today and like others have said the books are better BUT the movie was very good too. I brought my daughter and daughter-in-law who have not read the books and they loved the movie. My granddaughter wants to see it again. The crowd at the theatre applauded at the end of the movie so I guess many others loved it as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the series over a 2 week period - which is fast for me considering I worked like a lot of hours and still had the farm chores. I loved the books, it was hard to put it down (yes I didn't sleep so that's where the time came from! LOL!).

And I did see the movie. Let me tell you they hit the characters on the head, especially Katniss, that is how I pictured her. It took a few moments to endear myself to Peta and Gale - but the guys did a good job.

I did however not really think a lot about the characters of the other 22 kids in teh Games. But I think they did a great job casting! Especially Rue.

For 2 hours and 22 minutes (that is a long movie folks!) they could not have done much more to bring the details out without making it a ten hour movie. They did an excellent job of bringing the story to life on the screen.

Only one part that I was disappointed on - that was the monsters at the end. With today's technology - they could have depicted it better and they only had 3, there were way more in the book. Or at least they only focused on three. The disappointment - the description in the book let the reader think that each monster had the personality and character of each child that had died during the game. Unless something hit the cutting floor during editing they did not depict that very well.

Two small disappointments - they did not play up Haymitch's character as much as the book does, again unless it hit the cutting floor. And they didn't play up the actual area she came from very much. But they did get some great photography of the areas in North Carolina.

For pre-teens - I hope parents have read the books and discussed with their kids before just going to the movie - there is a lot of killing and a kid seeing a kid killed never is right in my book.

Not quite Lord of the Flies - those kids did not have any parents around or any martial law to keep them in line. Hunger Games does.

I've got the audio books based on earlier recommendations here and am looking forward to them
default_smile.png

I am about halfway through book 2 and I am enjoying it more, who knows maybe I will end up liking it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping I'll like them. It's not hard to entertain me!!! On the Twilight thing, I listened to those, too, and they were "okay", but the author did a REALLY good (much more complex and grown up) job with her long novel, "The Host". That, I thought, was excellent!!!

I liked the Host too Jill, Twilight just didn't do it for me. The Hunger games is much better than Twilight, thre is at least a storyline. It does seem to drag on abit though.

Oh Jill, I'm SO glad you got the audio books! I agree, Twilight was okay, but The Host I really loved. I always recommend that one. The beginning is a little slow, but once you hit the middle it is fantastic.

My overall opinion on the books: meh. Pretty B-flat.

I read the three books in about three nights, meaning not exactly in-depth, absorbing reading. There were elements I liked, but overall it was too predictable and too many loose ends left untied and intriguing possibilities left unexplored. The ending was a complete letdown, verging on downright stupid. I found myself rewriting the story even as I read it.

I'll be stuck watching the movie(s), as Keith is a film lover. Hopefully I can at least hold out until it comes out on DVD.

Back