The FIRST pumpkin!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxy's Run

Reaction score
OOOOOOHHHHHH Cheyenne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where art thou????????????? :saludando:

Here is the first pumpkin just starting to bud. :aktion033: :bgrin

firstpumpkin2.jpg

firstpumpkin1.jpg

I think it is a Jack Be Little one. :bgrin Anything in your patch?

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

OOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :new_shocked: :new_multi: Linda...I was going to ask you until I just saw this.....I "think" I have a bunch of pumpkins starting. If this is indeed the pumpkins themselves. They are not quite as big as your starters, but I'm noticing some separate "nodules" towards the inside of the plant. I'll go out and take a pic and post it here in a bit!

hee hee heee....the race is on!!! :cheeky-smiley-006:
default_thumbup.gif
:

How cute...now let's see you carve that one into a pumpkin :bgrin I could hardly wait for my cucumbers to set on this year. Kept watching for that first little guy and now we have loads of them ready to eat! I don't have room to grow pumpkins but I love seeing pumpkin patches in the fall. Mary

I love it!

Every year I say I am going to have a punkin patch and never get a roundtuit

Darn, now I'm jealous

OK.....I just got these pictures from outside.

Does this look to you like the start of pumpkins? Is this where the yellow flower will come out of? If it is, they are not as big as yours yet. They look like little nodules....but I don't see any indication of yellowness.

e8382cbc.jpg

Here's a pic of some of the leaves. My pumpkin patch is not the "traditional" pumpkin patch. Hopefully if we have success with it this year I will expand. I just used a strip going down the fence line.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

e8382c8e.jpg

e8382c57.jpg

I just had to slip this one in..... :bgrin ...hope you don't mind. The Phlox butterfly bush has gotten so full and pretty!

e8382c00.jpg

Thanks everyone! :aktion033: I am so excited!!!! Tonight I found a SECOND pumpkin!!!!! This second one is the larger Jack O' Lantern kind. Sorry, no picture of it. Maybe tomorrow evening. I ran out of day light while spraying the yard for chiggers and other nasty bugs that are just driving me and Denny CRAZY!!!! Denny is covered with bites all over his legs and feet. Just what he needs. Poor guy.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Anyway, Cheyenne, the buds that you showed are the flower buds. They will bloom into pretty yellow flowers in the next couple of days. By the looks of the picture, they looke like "male" flowers to me. The female flowers (those that produce the actual pumpkins) tend to stay closer to the vine on the ground. The males grow taller like the ones you pictured. Once you have some flowers opening and closing for a few days, check real close for little round "balls" under the flowers. Those are the pumpkins! :aktion033: Keep me informed when you see them and I will pass on my other tid bits of pumpkin wisdom to try to avoid rot spots where the pumpkin lays while growing. Until then - Happy Halloween!!!! :bgrin

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

OOOhhhhh...this is great...I am learning so much about these pumpkins!!! It's like taking a class!! So it makes sense that since these nodules that will eventually be the male flower are higher, they don't carry the fruit because the female nodule that will evendually carry the fruit will have to be closer to the ground for the pumpkin to lay there and rest! Awesome!!!

Can't wait for the next lesson!! (Will we be "breeding" the yellow flowers, or ......????) :lol:

Latest posts

Back