The Drama Queen finally foals...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagalong

Reaction score
Finally.
blissysmile.gif

After weeks of watching our drama queen mare Candy lay on her back for 20 - 30 minutes at a stretch... snooze flat out on her side for the same amount of time - and in between fuss and fret about the way her very active baby was galloping around her on the inside, It Happened.

The foaling pager had been rendered quite useless as it was going off all the time... and there was no Mare Stare involved - what was the point?

This is what would have happened...

Caller from Indiana: Hi - I am watching your mare on MareStare and she is upside down!! OMG!!

Me: Yeah - I know. That is normal for her.

Caller from Indiana: HUH?

Caller from North Carolina: Your mare needs help - she is upside down and there is no one there with her!!

Me: I know. That is normal for her. Thanks for calling.

Caller from NC: HUH?

I have called her Upside Down Mare (UDM) in other threads due to her fondness for that position.... so when she suddenly went right side up for the past two nights and began pacing madly around the edges of the stall, I figured Something was going to happen. There were no other sudden physical changes (on the outside, anyway) - but this mare had obviously not read the foaling manual. Please note there is no chapter entitled Upside Down in any foaling book.
rolleye.gif
This mare had only arrived in December, so I had no idea what she was like when it came to foaling - and what I was seeing was kinda worrisome. To say the least.

Anyway - after spending most of Sunday night pacing in circles that made me dizzy watching her on the monitor - she suddenly got very quiet around 5:30 a.m. Monday morning. She took a look at her left side, squatted a bit - and I heard the water break - showtime! I slipped out to the barn and peeked in the stall just as she decided that this process required a LOT more drama. As in, LOTS and LOTS.
sigh.gif

She abruptly went upside down... with the Important End wedged in a corner. Nope.
no.gif
That would not work. I got her up and she took about 3 steps and plunked down again with a flourish - immediately rolling over on her back as usual. Okay, fine. Another mini mare did the same thing to me many years ago - and all had gone well then. In next to no time I had two feet and a nose visible - and helped with some gentle pulling when Candy pushed.... as she was upside down - I had to pull UP towards her hocks - not down... the foal's tongue was hanging out the side of its mouth - I gave it a little tweak to make sure the foal was alive - it was!

First the head and neck - then the shoulders cleared - all looked good even if everything was topsy-turvy. The wet baby looked like a buckskin and had a huge star on its forehead... and then - trouble.

Because you can never have enough drama.
indyjonesmiley.gif

No more progress. A hip lock?? YES! Obviously the drama-meter was not reading high enough - as Candy suddenly lurched to her feet and started marching around the stall... I was holding the foal's head and front legs up away from her legs and the wall - and softly telling her ho.... ho..... ho.... She slowed down after we had done a few laps and stopped with her head in one corner. I managed to push the foal back where it had come from about 6 inches or so - and then it was easy to turn the foal upwards - from 6 o'clock to about 2:30... and suddenly the hips were free and I eased a wet baby into the straw. Candy looked back and immediately saw the opportunity to Make A Statement - and dropped down into the straw with great emphasis to demonstrate what a terrible day she was having...
dramasmileyf.gif

Anyway - despite a lot of sturm und drang, he is doing well... presenting Candy's Buckskin Colt!! Yet be to named.... and still needing to unfold...
goodsigh.gif
hapydancsmil.gif

DSCN0446.jpg

DSCN0448.jpg

DSCN0462.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
default_laugh.png
Congratulations!!! I think he's a looker. As for the mare, she's looking at us with the "what's your problem? I don't do pain!!" look
default_laugh.png
Spoiled? Definately a gaze of "sophistication" from her.

I'm glad it eventually turned out ok. Now YOU can sleep, too. Maybe the little fellow will keep mom awake for a while.....as YOU sleep.
default_laugh.png

Congrats he is beautiful. I am so glad that you were right there to help with the hip lock. Good Job!

Congratulations on a job well done...Sounds like you are gonna have all kinds of fun when you breed this mare...Your foal is very handsome though.....
default_wub.png

congrats! hes beautiful. those hiplocks can be hard to get out. so glad you had a happy ending!

Woo Hoo! Now THAT is one handsome fella (but coming out of such a pretty dam, of course!). Congratulations!

Congratulations! He is a looker! Mare sounds like quite the character. The colt's star reminds me of the shape of Texas -- maybe have Tex as his barn name??

Congratulations on a Fantastic looking colt! Don't you love those mares that get your heart racing?
default_wacko.png
So glad all worked out well for her and you and the colt!
default_smile.png

GREAT story! This girl sounds soooooooooo funny!!

I am glad everything turned out ok and what a handsome boy you have!!

Congrats!!

LOl what a great story! Upsitedown mare LOL!!
default_new_rofl.gif

Now I just can't get rid of this song after your story...

"Oh, what a feeling when where dancing on the ceiling.... "
default_488.gif

Congrats on your gorgeous colt!

Sounds like it was pretty exciting and she is a drama queen for sure! Your new foal is handsome and the "Queen" is a very pretty mare. Congrats! Lavonne

What Tagalong is so modestly ommitting is that this special little fellow is a FULL BROTHER to Star Struck Bay Beauty - 2X National GRAND Champion Mare - he is a keeper for sure no doubt!

And a cute litte devil - poor Candy, she has her hooves full with this one!

Stac

Congratulations! He is a handsome little guy.
default_wub.png
The mare is beautiful too; she definitely gives an "I'm a princess" impression.
default_laugh.png

I'm glad the drama all ended happily and everyone is doing well.
default_biggrin.png

He is gorgeous and I love his Dam. Now if you can come up with a name that has the word "Dramatic" in it all will be well.

Your mare just reminded me of the times when my mare Ariel would go thru her false preggos and then labor, lay down to give birth and have her "Poof" foals. This happened when I would breed her sister and she apparently felt left out. Even though she would try to kill poor Jimmy when I did try to breed her. Funny she preferred to breed to the non-producing long ears "mules" not stallions.

You will have soooo much fun with this little guy. May Candy will now roll over on her back to nurse the foal. That will give him a table top.

Latest posts

Back