The Domperidone has worked

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
Saturday morning BeBop actually got her foal up to nurse, the foal no longer wants my milk, BeBops bag has gotten a lot bigger and watching the filly on camera, she's acting like a normal foal should.

Now my questions, I've been giving 2 cc's twice a day, should I keep that up or give the dosage once a day now that the milk has come. How long do I keep giving it? I bought 2 tubes to start with. My vet, who didn't believe it would work, is happy to hear of this outcome but not knowing that it would even work like this, doesn't know for sure how long to use it, he suggested for a few wks till the foal is eating grain and hay/grass good.

I need to thank you guys a real big THANKS, you have sure made my life easier and have eased my mind in a big way. My filly is ten days old today and doing wonderful, she doesn't jerk and twitch to much any longer either, more than a normal foal but not nearly what it had been.

I would keep it up for a few more days, and watch the milk production. The foal if nursing well should keep the milk production going. Glad it worked!

Robin

OMG, you don't need it that long, LOL. Your mare would be none too happy with you
default_smile.png
(unless she is a very poor milk producer, my guess is she just needed a jump start). My mare was on it for 5 -6 days, 2cc's 2xs a day for the first 3ish days then half that for the next 2-3 days, if the milk started to slow, then I was to go up back to the origonal dose, if the bag was full and hard, then cut the dose, my mare was fine after 5 -6 days and no longer needed it.

I am so glad it worked for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the vet who advised us to use it was talking about mares yet to foal, I don't know that the advice is applicable (and I don't know that I'd ever use it again on a mare yet to foal...). This vet told me to stop it as soon as the milk came in. If I were dosing BeBop, I think I'd decrease it to 1cc 2x a day for a few, then stop it altogether.

Good luck! I am happy to hear it is working well!!!

Latest posts

Back