The Cost of Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caring for a horse is expensive. Nice horses are expensive. Showing them is expensive. The good news is -- it's a totally optional luxury to even have them in the first place, let alone show them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is simply wrong to suggest that if one finds shows to be expensive, they obviously can't afford their horse.

Most horse owners have a budget to stick to, and first priority is the health and well-being of their horses. Any savings must come from the optional activities such as shows.

Do any of us on here truly have such unlimited resources that they don't need to keep costs under control?

I understand and respect the costs that go into putting on a show. My objection is to those that circumvent any efforts to economize.

We have one Oregon show that I've wanted to enter for years. It's a good drive, yet close enough that we could enter classes on one single day and haul in. HA! The haul-in fee equals the cost of a stall. Okay, so we could still economize by bringing our own bedding. HA! Outside bedding is not allowed.

Now, if this were a club putting on this show, I'd assume that they simply needed the extra money to rent the venue, but in this case, the owner of the venue is putting on the show, and these two steps that save money for the entrant cost them nothing.

Yes, shows are expensive, but in a recession it would be helpful to allow and even encourage any means of keeping one's costs down. This would also be a smart business decision, as more local horse owners would enter if not forced to pay for unnecessary stalls.

Please email me at darkhhorsefarms AT yahoo

I disputed the REQUIRED stall thing the show you are talking about and have some information that might help you if you would like it.

Lisa

It is simply wrong to suggest that if one finds shows to be expensive, they obviously can't afford their horse.
I don't think anyone suggested that -- but I can't help but point out the obvious. Horses are very expensive and complete non-necessities. Showing them is the icing on the cake for those who choose to spend spare money in that way. Some personal income information was volunteered and it's hard not to think that I also would not entertain spending 1/2 my entire monthly income on anything other than housing. To me, this is basic, common sense and the same thing any reasonable adult would conclude. I mean, I wish dinner at 5 star restaurants was $25/plate and that my dream car didn't cost six digits. Not everything should be / is meant to be "cheap".

I don't think anyone suggested that -- but I can't help but point out the obvious. Horses are very expensive and complete non-necessities. Showing them is the icing on the cake for those who choose to spend spare money in that way. Some personal income information was volunteered and it's hard not to think that I also would not entertain spending 1/2 my entire monthly income on anything other than housing. To me, this is basic, common sense and the same thing any reasonable adult would conclude.
This is so true - I cringe when I see an ad that states "cheap or free horse wanted" - that's the least expensive part of HAVING a horse!

One thing to do is set a budget and stay in it. If that means maybe cutting classes or leaving one of the horses home, it may have to be what you have to do.

Another is to get with your local fair and ask them to add miniature classes to their fair schedule. They did that at our fair, and it's very popular.

If you get funny looks from the other 4-H folks -- TOO BAD, THEY'RE LOSS!! Go and have fun! I'd bet you'd be more popular than you think!!!

Caring for a horse is expensive. Nice horses are expensive. Showing them is expensive. The good news is -- it's a totally optional luxury to even have them in the first place, let alone show them.
I have never said my horses were not nice and yes they cost more than I really needed to pay. But, I feel my horses are good enough to show. Last year my Missy beat out 2 prominent names (the adults heading and training the horses) in the youth Country Pleasure class. You should have seen the jaws drop. Yes I have quality horses. I was just stating that since the economy has not gotten any better, The facility could drop the prices a bit because it is not just me having a hard time with the cost of this show. Also maybe the club could drop down to 2-3 judges per show to lower costs. There are people that have told me in the past that they (the contestants) are dropping this show because of the expense of it. I enjoy the larger show. But the barns are not near as full as the year we just went and watched because we didn't have anything to show.

The reality is economy or not people will show their horses and spend alot of money doing so. The facilities know this and tend to be unwilling to lower their prices to rent to the local clubs. This leads to a club that can not afford to lower their prices. While I agree 100 bucks a stall is a lot I to would like to know what show/facility that is?

Often facilities state the price of the stalls I know as a show manager that is how it is at the places I have had shows at. We were not rented the whole place and allowed to charge what we wanted for the stalls.

They are expensive we have one show here this year before Raven leaves to spend the summer showing others horses. She wants to show so many of ours that the price is just to much so we are really having to cut back and re think who can go in what class even with a flat fee for each horse.

Latest posts

Back