The Cost of Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
I just got the catalog for the shows coming up in May. I have 2 horses to show. In both shows a total of 12 classes 4 of which are youth classes. The cost of this show because I can not show in any more classes than the 12 because of $$. This is cutting it to the bone the cost would be $580. Thank goodness we do not have to travel so we don't have hotel costs on top of everything. The cost of this show has not gone down in the past 3-4 years. Come on people! Ever hear there is a recession going on here? We may not be able to show this year at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it can be costly. Maybe cut a few classes? Most shows do not make much money, or very little, sometimes none. They have to be able to at least break even.

Do what I do, don't look at the total!
default_smile.png

Unfortunately, it costs a lot to put on a show. If ribbons, judges, stewards, and facilities dropped their prices, and then postage went down and such, then I bet show managers could make the shows cheaper. But unfortunately, all that has gone up, too...

Budget what you can for the show, and either enter less classes or take less horses.

Andrea

I try to find the shows that have the "pay one price and play all weekend" (somewhere around 55-65$ for the weekend plus office fees plus stall fees). I was told that this type of show is not a prevelant all over the country as it is in MN. and IA. Guess these people know that there are a lot of penny pinchers like me in this area. I looked at a few in Ohio and Illinois and they are very expensive ($20 per class plus office fees plus stalls) in comparison.

Showing is expensive, there's no doubt about that. Unfortunately, shows cannot always give a cut rate to exhibitors--recession or not, shows have to cover costs. Facilities cost money to rent. Officials cost money to hire. If a show gets sponsorships from exhibitors, owners and businesses sometimes they can charge less, but if a show doesn't have that cushion of sponsorship money and if the show committee/host club doesn't have fundraisers that raise enough money to pay for judges, stewards, facility rental and possibly fees for other show staff (secretary, gate person etc - at our shows these are all volunteer positions, but I know there are many shows that pay these workers) then show fees have to cover many of these expenses.

20 years ago when I put on AMHA shows, the grounds were $250 to rent. It is now over $1,000. Judges are about the same, but I know trophies and ribbons have gone up also.

Perhaps you could rethink the 12 classes. Can you show from the trailer or can you cut the number of stalls? What about bedding - are you buying it from the show or can you bring in your own?

Showing is fun, but it is costly. Anything fun sure seems to be - for example - a round of golf at our local city owned course is close to $100 per person, that's walking without a cart.

I try to find the shows that have the "pay one price and play all weekend" (somewhere around 55-65$ for the weekend plus office fees plus stall fees). I was told that this type of show is not a prevelant all over the country as it is in MN. and IA. Guess these people know that there are a lot of penny pinchers like me in this area. I looked at a few in Ohio and Illinois and they are very expensive ($20 per class plus office fees plus stalls) in comparison.
Cost is $40 per class for me and $20 for youth.

20 years ago when I put on AMHA shows, the grounds were $250 to rent. It is now over $1,000. Judges are about the same, but I know trophies and ribbons have gone up also.
Perhaps you could rethink the 12 classes. Can you show from the trailer or can you cut the number of stalls? What about bedding - are you buying it from the show or can you bring in your own?

Showing is fun, but it is costly. Anything fun sure seems to be - for example - a round of golf at our local city owned course is close to $100 per person, that's walking without a cart.
I wish I could show off of the trailer. That would cut $200 right there. The show grounds are only 5.5 miles from my door to theirs. It is NOT permitted at this show. I have a stud and mare so I have to have 2 stalls. This is a 2 show weekend. I am looking at 2 (1 each show) driving classes for the stud and 2 Liberty classes for him (1 each show). Then all ot the following is one class each show with w shows. 2 driving classes for me, 2 Driving classes for Jessie, 2 youth hunter classes and 2 Liberty classes.

This is the only AMHA show I am able to go to because my brother won't let Jessie travle to another state with out him. He won't go to a horse show. I guess I have to look around and find something to sell so I can afford this show.

What if you rented ONE stall and showed the mare one day and the stallion the other day?? That should save you a lot of money and still get everyone into the ring.

If stalls are $100 each, using one stall only would cut your expenses a lot...assuming the stalls are big enough, why not use just one stall & tie the horses one in each corner for the day. We've done that--they are perfectly comfortable that way for the day, assuming you tie them at a comfortable length--we're always right there with our horses while the show is on, so no worries about someone getting into trouble...and since you are so close to the show grounds just load them up & take them home for the night, and then bring them back the next day. I've done that exact thing when we were showing the Morgans. For shows that are that close to home, we never leave them at the show grounds overnight.

for us ...in order to cross borders to the other countries where the shows are we have to open a "garnet" and provide a passport on top of the other paperwork. To open a garnet you have to drive your horse to the italian border or to Basel have a health inspection and pay 360. Swiss Franks , I think the pass port is about 90. This is before you even get to the show....its very expensive here, and the garnet is only good for 1 year. OUCH !!!I believe each class is 20 euro , for us about 35 Swiss Franks.

Thank God we live in the Midwest (Iowa). Like Sandee stated around here we can get the unlimited classes of $45 to $60 per show depending on the number of judges. Stalls rang from $35 to $50, bedding is around $7, and office fees are $5 per horse. We figure most shows will cost us around $100 per horse and a lot of time that is for 4 judges. We run with about 6 to 8 per show and always double up on the stalls. We have divider gates made that allow two in a stall even if they are not paddock mates at home. We love to show and promote our breeding program but it is also considered a hobby to us. Neither one of us really have a hobby other that our horses so we always say our fishing, golfing, boating, racing, shopping and ect. budget is walking around on four legs.

Yes rated shows cost a whole lot of expense and work to put on. I look at a rated breed show as a major event and that takes the big bucks. The question here is what is your true goal?

I loved the good ole days where all 4 of us showed our Quarter Horses and ponies at every open show we could find for a song and enter more classes than you could imagine all day long. Low entry fees and showing out of the trailer, none of this paying a mortage rate to participate and still have a wonderful time. Those were the glory days.

I have friends showing their minis now in open shows and loving it. Miniatures seem to be really catching on in a lot of open shows. Our local clubs have said if I bring my lttle guys out, they will add miniature classes. If I really wanted to show that bad, that's the way for me to go since points don't matter to me and I just want a day out of fun. Of course I love the rated shows, but they are pretty spendy for me and I prefer going just for the fun of it all, but that's just me.

I hope you find a way to go that is affordable.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is about what you would pay for a lot of the AMHA shows around here. Do you have any AMHR shows? They cost less and are still rated shows with a lot of tough competition.I hope you can come up with the money to show. Try having a garage sale. Good Luck.

When we first started showing our horses in the States, our dollar was only worth about 64 or 65 cents, which meant adding another 35% on to all our costs!! There were a few shows, mostly in New York, that gave us a break and we were able to pay "at par". That was awesome! At the moment, our dollar actually is almost at par which will make it easier for anyone north of the border to show across the line, but show fees are still very expensive.

I guess the thing with showing is that we all love to do it so much. Obviously, or we wouldn't be crazy enough to keep doing it. The thing to consider, though, is why else do we do it? Are we promoting our breeding program or the breed in a serious way, or are we "just" having fun? If we only go to one or two shows a year, especially at $500 - $600 per show, what can we hope to accomplish? Will enough people actually see our horses and maybe want to come and buy some? Are we going to earn enough points for any titiles and thus "bragging rights"? Are there perhaps other, more feasible ways of enjoying our horses and "getting them out there"? Open show, as Marty pointed out, can be a great alternative, or maybe 4H, or maybe pleasure driving, or any number of other activities.

As for your own situation, I take it that Jessie is your niece and her dad is your brother. Would he be willing to share any of the costs with you?

This show does not allow showing off of the trailer. With a stud and a mare "THEY" will require me to have 2 stalls if I show them both the same day.

There are no AMHR shows in the area that I am aware of.

I tried to get Jessie and Joey both into 4H with the minis and the instructors look at me like "come back when they have real horses". Also the only class they have for minis in 4H is halter. My horses are performance horses.

I am thinking hard on something to sell so we can go to this show. If that doesn't work out I am going to work on Jessies father to see if maybe we can go to the June show in Red Bluff, CA. It is 400 miles there and back. We can show off the trailer for $10 per horse. and wecan sleep in the truck. The only draw back is that the fees are about the same but it is 4 judges. One up side to this show is Jim Curry is one of the judges.

Your tow vehicle must be reliable, and good on gas if you can consider driving that far to a show--I would think the cost of gas would eat up any savings you'll have on stall fees, and if show fees are equal otherwise you're going to need pretty much the same amount of money to go to the distant show?

Your tow vehicle must be reliable, and good on gas if you can consider driving that far to a show--I would think the cost of gas would eat up any savings you'll have on stall fees, and if show fees are equal otherwise you're going to need pretty much the same amount of money to go to the distant show?
Yes, my tow vehicle is very reliable. Last fall it cost me $100 one way to Salt Lake City, UT and that is 550 miles (1100 miles round trip). We all know what gas cost last year. I figure it will cost me around $100 to Red Bluff and home. That is the cost of 1 stall. I don't know what we are going to do yet but, I know that this next month winter heating bills will be a lot less. I can put that money toward the shows. I just wish we had the single price shows around here. I think there would be a lot more people able to travel to this May show.

Katien,

Are you sure the cost of one stall is $100? I've never heard of any show charging so much for a stall anywhere! At the AMHA World Show stalls are $90 for 2 weeks and AMHR is somewhere in that same ball park I think, I know they aren't any more than that! Maybe it was a typo? Around here the most a stall is $65, but usually its $40. Entry fees are $20-$40 with 2-3 judges, and we have a $100 flat fee (for entries) per horse for the show. So a horse that does 12 classes really benifits from the flat rate.

I think if I were you I would call the show manager and double check on that stall price, and also tell them how close you live to the show and see if they will allow you to show from your trailer. If not, showing one horse one day and the other the next might be your "cheapest" option. Or maybe look at the classes and how they fall.... would it be possible to bring one horse in the morning and then switch them at the lunch break?

Just a few of my thoughts.

I am positive that the stalls are $100. They are $70 for 1 show and $100 for both shows. A total of 6 days because there is a day off in between the 1st and 2nd show. That comes with 1 bag of shavings. If you want more shavings they are $8 a bag so I bring my own for $6 a bag. The rule for the stall is no more than 2 horses per stall and 2 year and older stallions must be stalled separately. There is also no showing off the trailer at this show.

At the second show I am looking at (different location) the stall is $70 for the 3 days (2 for the show and arrival/departure). However, at this show they allow showing off of the trailer for a fee of $10 per horse.

I am thinking that as far as the stabling and grounds go here at the Reno show, the RSCVA slit their own throats all the time. They won't drop prices in a recession and they can't say it is the cost of keeping the grounds because they use the co. jail for labor. We have lost convention after convention because other places are willing to underbid us. I mean they don't even give the small indoor arena for practice. We warm up and practice in an open area between the barns and arena.

Hi Katien,

Please clarify if this is an AMHA show or an ASPC/AMHR show. The reason for the question...I handle the Amateur program for the ASPC/AMHR and have already received several show premiums from those shows out in Area VII & Area VIII. None of those shows have stalls that cost $100. The only show premium that I have that have stalls at a premium price is the Area VII National show. Their stalls are $55 with no Shavings or $65 with one bag of shavings. They have a flat fee of $80 or all of their classes are $25 each.

Just so we are all on the same page, what is the name of this show?

Karen

Latest posts

Back