The big pit bull debate!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormo41

Reaction score
I noticed a thread about a dog attack on a horses on the main forum and a debate has started on that thread. I thought that it might be more on topic if we could all debate about pit bulls on the thread about the pit bull debate.

so discuss pit bulls/pit bull bans here but lets follow a few rules please

1. Have and open mind! Yes you can have an open mind and still think what you want at the same time. Don't reject any information that is new to you.

2. If you run out of agruments please don't post the same thing over and over again.

3. Go into it knowing that you can't make people think what you think.

4. lets make this positive! Show respect for peoples input and they will (or should) show respect for your input.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will start by posting my own thoughts on the breed.

I am all for people being able to own any type of dog. I do not think that Pit bulls are bad or killers, I would own one if I ever had the chance to. I think every dog that is used for breeding should have to go through a behavoiur test before they are allowed to breed. Any dog passing the test will have to be neautered/spayed or forfited to a shelter that will spay/neuter the dog. I think that anyone who wants to own a dog should have to go thrugh a test run very much like the written driving test. for anyone who fails the test dog ownership classes ahould be offered at a small fee, and there should be a book produced by the goveremnt about proper dog ownership.

I have nothing agaisnt pit bulls, and think that they are misunderstood animals. I think that lots of people don't even know what one looks like or that "Pit Bull" is a grouping of three different breeds of dogs only one breed having Pit bull in the name. Once my aunt and I were driving alot and there was a person walking a boxer and my aunt said "that pit bull should be waring a muzzle" (before the ban in Ontario). I told her the dog was a boxer and she has no clue what that dog is like. I do think that a dog that attacks a adult should be put down. I think that when a dog attacks a child it should be looked into before putting the dog down, Lots of childeren do not know how to act around dogs and could have done something to provoke the animal. I'm not saying that attacks on adults should not be looked in to aswell, but an adult is more willing to admit that they provked the dog, also the size and confeindce level is much higher in adults and I think that the dog would be less likely to snap at a adult then a child. A dog that attacks animals should be assesd by animal control to see if the problem is fixable, if not the dog should be put down. and lastly I think that leash laws should be applied every where no matter where you live.

I fell that alot of the ideas I mentioned would help alot of people be better dog owners and resonable breeders. I also think it would drasticly cut down on back yard breeders and puppy mills that are responable in my opion for most agressive dogs of any breed. This would also mean that pet stores would find it hard to get puppies to sell and therefore could join forces with the local animal shelters and force people to really look into a dog/breed before they buy from a breeder.

I would like to ad that I have had three encounters with dogs acting agressivly twords me and all were not the dogs fault. The first I was really young I was walking to school and a big dog cam and knoked me over into a snow bank, but I think the dog just wanted to play with me as I remember it standing over me, it's owners acted very quickly an no one was hurt. The second time I was at the end of my own driveway about 12 years old on my bike waiting for my dad to pump his bike's tire when the rottie from acrosse the road came running and barking at me and stoped about 4 feet from me teeth bared. My dad came running and so did the dogs owner and he manged to call off the dog. I do not blame this what so ever on the dog because it's owners did not care for it at all and let it run up and down the street all day. My dad went inside right after and called the SPCA and after that they left the poor thing in the garage all day even in the hot summer and cold winter. This accualy led to a big feud between the owners and the rest of the people on the street but that is another story. The last time was when I was at a horse barn and went in the house to see the new Aussie Sheperd pups. The moma dog was ok with me there for a little bit but nipd at my jaket when I was about to leave I turned and left as quickly as i could knowing that I was going to be followed, she got one tooth in my leg and if it was not for the owner making a quick move to close the door who knows if she could got more in. I can only blame myslef for that I should have said something to the owner when she grabbed my jaket and I should not have turned my back to her.

So what do you think?

-Vanessa

Last edited by a moderator:
Pits are dog aggresive by nature, not human aggressive. But that's really besides the point. People need to educate their children about dogs and how to behave around them. People need to be responsible for their dogs actions and keep them contained. Dogs are predators. And even though we've "domesticated" them, they still have that instinct to hunt. Anything that runs away from them can provoke that instinct to chase and kill. I don't belive that these anti-breed laws will be effective because it will only punish the honest people. Those who train or condition these dogs to attack will find away around the law.

When it comes down to livestock owners, I recommend meeting your neighbors and asking about their dogs and the dogs in the community. My neighbors know that if their dog is found on my property chasing livestock, it will be shot. No warning, No questions.

I've never found one of their dogs on my property.
default_wink.png
:

For me it really boils down to education and hype. Sadly the pitbull type is the current flavor, and the more the media glamorizes these attacks the more the tough guys wanting mean dogs feed off of it.

As has been stated every breed historically developed for a reason they had a job to do and knowing what that job was can help us as dog owners be more responsible. I have chows I love chows I rescue chows I foster chows I have NEVER IN 20 YEARS been bitten by a chow...........yet that is the very first question I am asked when I say I have chows..."oh those dogs bite"..."oh those are mean" ....well I am here to tell you they aren't. They were bred to guard, to herd, and to hunt big game. If you break this down to instincts that are cultivated they would be ...suspicion, prey drive (mandatory for herding) and tracking ability. If you don't properly socialize a breed like this you can have a mess. Back to education most people do not know what socialzation is and that it begins at birth and continues for life.

So I can sympathize immensely with the plight of the pit bull........rotties, dobes, german shepherds, and chows have all been there before. If the neo's, tosa's, and dogge bordeauxs weren't so expensive and so gigantic I think honestly the bad guys would have moved on to them already. Fortunately these truley guard bred breeds are fairly scarce and you usually have to pass a battery of tests to get one.

For the record regarding spaying and neutering to reduce aggression...........some research is showing it actually can make aggression worse, and neutered males are often more aggressive than their intact counterparts. I still believe that the average owner should spay and neuter but it isn't black and white.

For your information there is a full scale temperment testing that can be done and is done by many responsible breeders it is the ATTS http://www.atts.org/statistics.html check out the passing rates for the breeds here it is very interesting. They say 75% passing is the benchmark anything below that is a sign of temperment problems. This is just one of numerous things breeders use in producing good sound stable dogs.

The other issue regarding breed bans. If you ban breeds just like everything else in society only the upstanding citizens will follow the rules, so the bad guys will still keep, hide, whatever and those are just the people that the ban was supposed to stop.

Deeds not breeds.

I had always been one to say that with pits, they got a bad rap and that bad breeders were doing them in. Now, I am just not so sure about them. It seems that too many times the dog just has a switch that flips and they can go from being a teddy bear, to well, not.

Do I think the media plays them up a bit? Ehhh welllll, maybe, maybe not. I would like to see a true study or report on the number of dog attacks as well as the severity of said attacks, to know if that is what is happening. I have an inkling however that Pits are causing most of the attacks, and then they are the most severe.

On a side note, and I wasnt going to say anything, but oh well. The dog that killed Ducati ( my goat) was a pit/lab cross. My other neighbors female whatevershewas, had puppies by him and 2 look much like him, and of course they were the ones they kept. Those 2 are also the worst barkers and chasers of vehicles.

[SIZE=14pt]i would also love to see a true study of dog attacks. one that showed the true breed and severity. i think there are other breeds that are as aggressive as pits or "pit types" but do far less damage, mainly because of size. i live next door to a little poodle that has bit several people, adults and children but the bites are obviously not life threating, so i guess that makes it o.k.
default_rolleyes.gif
: . if he were bigger he would have killed someone by now! until i see a true study with the true breeds i just am not sure. i know that personally i would not own a Pit, Pit type, Mastiff, or Corsos, i am not drawn to those type of dogs. i like a little fluff
default_yes.gif
: . i have to add that i live in a small town and the only pit bulls i see here are usually dragging some dirt bag down the street, sure doesn't make them look so tuff when they can't even walk their dog properly
default_wacko.png
: . don't get me wrong, i am sure their are some nice families out there that have nice well behaved pits, i just have only seen the thugs w/ theirs :bgrin . Nikki
[/SIZE]

In general I love Pit bulls. I'm a vet tech and I've never been bitten by a pit I have been bitten by several small breed dogs, a Golden Retriever, a husky, and 3 Chows and several times by my own Springer. I believe there are a number of factors to take into consideration. One is the owner, Two are bloodlines as some are still bred to fight and the breeders of these dogs choose the most aggresive lines and cross them together, Three is environment any dog chained out with little socialization is bound to be a bit nutty, Four is education which also goes back to the topic of the owner. A pit isn't for everyone neither are other breeds of dogs people need to educate themselves on the type of dog they are getting not just with pits but all dogs in general. A well socialized, well bred and well trained pit can be one of the best dogs around. If I took into consideration my own personal experiance with biters I'd be saying all Chows are evil and should be banned but I know there are some very nice Chows out there, Though I probably wouldn't own one myself not because I've been bitten by several of them but because they just aren't the type of dog I'm drawn to. I love the sterotypical aggressive breeds- Dobes, Rotti's, Masstiff's, GSD's, Boxers though I also research more then just the breed when getting a new dog I also study the bloodlines and make sure that at least the last Three generations have been health and temperment tested still no guaruntees but the chances are less likely that I'll end up with an aggressive or unhealthy dog. I also work with Boxer rescue and our local shelter and foster and work with the aggresive ones as a last resort to euthanasia. Some can become great pets others are just to untrustworthy to ever safely place and they are unfortunatly euthanized. I can tell you that some dogs of any breed are born just wired wrong and they can have the best well educated owners and still be that way. I got my Springer at 9wks old and he was aggresive intermittantly from the start. He was eventualy diagnosed with Rage syndrome and was put down shortly after my Daughter was born. He'd be fine and then all of a sudden fly into a blind rage and bite whatever or who ever was closest to him. He was well socalized and came from excellent bloodlines. So there are more then one factor to take in then just the breed.

Although I think many breeds get bad raps unfairly. I also think there are certain breeds that need better management than others.

Many dogs could bite BUT there is a huge difference between a dog nipping even biting and a dog losing it!

I have volunteered for years at shelters and have been around dogs.....many strays for years and I have come to certain conclusions based on this.

IME approximately 60% of all the cockers and dalmations that were surrendered would snap at you. Most of the chihuahuas would nip you!! This is just an example but there were patterns.

Of course, these patterns often follow mass media hype about breeds following fad fashions with certain breeds. Like after 101 dalmations came out everyone wanted a dalmation, just an example.

JMHO I think it is dangerous to conclude that pitbulls are just like every other dog. I like pitbulls, have known many nice ones BUT have seen MANY at the shelter that I would not trust. Because of their breed they can easily be manipulated into weapons. Because many 'tough guy wannabe's" are attracted to this type of breed they are often the ones that are breeding them.

I think if you are going to own a pitbull or similar breed you need to go to a very reputable breeder who knows what they are doing.

Growing up in Ireland I was more familiar with the bull terrier, the staff, the bulldog ALL breeds I love! I knew tons of wonderful ones BUT that said I would never want to meet a bull terrier loose if I was walking my dog . If the natural instinct is bred out of a dog that is considered poor breeding, a lab that can't retreive, a border collie that can't herd etc. Pitbulls were bred to fight bulls! So although they can be very sweet they also were bred to have a very aggressive side too, this needs to be carefully managed IMO.

I also think when a breed such as a Pitbull does attack it is normally much more dangerous than with many other breeds.

I think choosing to own a dog that has the natural ability to do serious harm, NOT that they will, is a BIG responsibility and not one that should be taken lightly. If you are responsible and knowledgeable about the breed then I am sure a pitbull can be a wonderful companion.

Untill reading some on this forum I had never heard of people raising pitbulls as loving pets. Sorry but growing up here there were a few breeders the raised pits and they all raised them for a similar purpose(at least all I heard of). They were bred and raised to catch wild cattle or other livestock. If a farmer had a group of cattle off at another part of the farm and come fall when they were to be brought home if any were too wild to be caught they called in on of the guys with pitbulls. The dogs would go chase down the cattle, one or more would bite on the nose and hang on. Not sure what the others did but quite sure it was a bloody mess. Usually they shot the cow and put her in the freezer.

One of the breeders was a school bus driver here in town (in 60's and 70's). He also had belgin horses for logging and hay rides. At some point one of his hayride customers was attacked by the dogs. I think after that he could only keep the dogs if they were in a locked pen. This guy and his brother both had major scars on thier faces. I thought it was from an auto accident but have been told it was from own dogs.

Most of the people that get on the news here with pit bulls or crosses or very similar type breeds usually do not appear to have them as loving pets either.

I have no problems with pit bulls. I do believe that they are a breed that was bred for aggression, just like hunting dogs are bred to hunt. I also believe alot of their personality comes from how they are brought up too, I think it's a combination. We had a brittany spaniel that never had a lick of training to hunt, when my father and I took her hunting for the first time, it was amazing...she knew exactly what to do, it was bred in her. I am a firm believer in what someone else said, that the parents of the dog will dictate alot of their personality. Just like horses. I've seen some beautifully correct horses with wonderful bloodlines that should never be bred because of their personality.

I've only met a couple full blooded pits and they were fine dogs, I have met lots of pit crosses and they too were fine. Our old camp up North does not allow any pits or pit crosses. My friend brought his dog up which is a pit cross (very nice dog and almost looks full pit) and I don't think anyone even noticed.

I've been bitten twice by dogs, one of which was when I was about 10. I do not believe it was provoked. It was a collie of a neighbor. I played with this dog all the time for many years. We were playing fetch with it's squeeky toy, it was happy wagging it's tail, etc...fetching, bringing it back. It brought me the toy back and I went to throw it again and it attacked, viciously. Another neighbor had to beat the dog off with a hoe. Luckily I was not hurt bad. It did break skin and I did have to have stitches, but all where to my lower body. The dog was not put down, but of course I never played with it again. It ended up dying of old age about a year later.

The second bite was less than a year ago and it was by a Chow. It did not attack viciously but it latched onto my hand and did break the skin. This dog is a neighbors up at our camp. The dog is old and I had been around it alot without any problems. I think when I went to pet him, I startled him and he reacted (he was laying down and couldn't see my hand coming to pet him) so I should of been more careful because the dog has a bad reputation. Everyone at camp calls him "Cujo" if that tells you anything. This dog can't be around any other dog without attacking and has been that way all it's life. It snarls and lunges at everyone, but seemed to accept me for some reason, but of course I don't go around him anymore as I am naturally afraid of him even though I don't think he was being vicious to me.

My parents had a cocker spaniel that never bit a stranger but bit them numerous times when they tried to make him do something he didn't want to. We had a good friend that had the nastiest meaniest lab I'd ever seen in my life. It had to be put down.

I think agression can come in any size/breed of dog. Of course normally a cocker or terrier can't do the damage that a pit or rotty can do, so the big dogs always seem to get a bad rap.

I don't know what the solution would be to the pit debates...I don't think banning is the answer. I think this only leads to breeding behind closed doors and more problems. Others had good suggestions on trying to help the problem, but I doubt any solutions like that will ever be enacted.

I am not a lover of pit bulls because they have earned their reputation as being killers. Lock those jaws onto something and just don't let go. Many dogs are biters but it is the killers that should be outlawed. It isn't just owners who are irresponsible, it is breeders. Just way too many dogs being bred that don't end up in the right homes. Money is such a motivator for breeding dogs and I think it blinds the breeders to the fact that there are way too many dogs in the world already. We just had two German Shepherds invade our place, at night. They were barking and carrying on in the one pen ...I am sure if we had not heard the noise they could have tore up a horse. We finally found out who they belonged to and their comment was " Oh they bark and chase our big horses all the time!" Sometimes I think it is the people who need a butt full of buckshot! Too many people believe, just because the dog hasn't done any harm, it won't, and that just is not true. There is a leash law in our county and it does help but there will always be people who allow their dogs to get loose or run loose. :eek: Mary

well like I have said before many of those kids and thugs walking around with what they think is a tough pit isnt even a pit bull at all. And most don't know the difference - it is one thing t play a game online and take your time and really examine all the dogs and quite another when scared to just jump to the conclusion it is a pit bull.

Pit bills are not the only so called "killers" many dogs have been bred to ignore pain and do there job, english bulldogs which for the record I find stronger(and more single minded) then any pit bulls, mastiffs, heck german shepards and dobies and even giant schnauzers any dogs used for police work have that instinct to grab and not let go.

Banning a breed of dog wont help especially when most wont be able to identify that breed.

We had a pit we put down recently due to old age. I have owned several in the past and will again . He was a certified therapy dog, went to childrens hospitals - was involved in a reading program for kids where they kids having a hard time reading read to the dog. He was raised around my kids as babies, in fact raised one our pups that the mom rejected (she had one pup and was a first time mom with a c-section)

could be seen with barn kittens recently weaned trying to nurse on him. Slept on the porch with our Dwarf Sadie and in fact lived in the same yard with her. We did dog rescue and had dogs of all sizes coming in and out of the dog yard never had a problem except with the great pyr and that was due I think strictly to his intimidating size and the pyr's automatic assumption that since he was in our yard he was the protector of all

He was not a one in a million pit, his personality and disposition is quite common for the breed

Many people only know what they have "heard" in the media or thru friends of friends about the breed. If you truly research the breed you will find the statistics are quite different.

A perfect example is that woman that was killed in the hallyway of her apt building.. It was a horrible thing no one is disputing that however for months in fact all the way until the trial the media was saying she was killed and mauled by pit bulls when in fact they were not pits in any way shape or form.

Last edited:
I think all dogs have the potential for meanness, not just the pit bull. I have two corsos that are gentle. However, the female is aggressive, and I think could be dangerous if given the opportunity. The male is just a nice easy going kinda guy, but who knows what he may do in a certain situation. With his size and the size of his mouth and teeth, I wouldn't want to be a stranger and cross him in the dark! I have never owned a pit, but they raised my late husband. There are many pictures of his dad's pits pulling him in a wagon, licking him, and just being good babysitters with an infant and toddler. He loved his pits and they loved him. Never ever had any trouble from them. I have heard him defend pits many times saying it is not necessarily the dog, but the owner. I have had rottweilers and dobermans, and they used to enjoy a lot of bad publicity as well as breeds, but never did I have trouble with either of them. I also owned a toy poodle that was every bit as bad as they say the pits are. Maybe he didn't kill anyone, but he would bite the fire out of strangers or me, given the opportunity! Dogs are dogs, just as humans are humans. I don't approve of any breed being prohibited, and if there weren't those that like to play up, and bring to attention every attack of a particular breed, I think it would be a lot better for everyone. If we try and ban pit bulls, what breed next? Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepherds? That would be like eliminating a particular ethnic group known as troublemakers. Or people with pale skin, or too dark skin tones, kind of like Hitler?

I have two pit crosses. They are the sweetest things ever to people. They greet all the visitors here with tails wagging and Willow can't hold her licker. She licks like a crazy fiend! They are the best pets ever. I didn't choose to go out and get a pit bull, they arrived here via my daughter. That being said, I love them and am glad we have them.

The one thing I would say that is a caution. You have to manage the interaction between THEM pretty carefully. They can get into a fight. They do not chew each other up, there is never an actual wound, but they can sure seem fierce! And I wouldn't expect that it wouldn't come to that point if I wasn't doing any correction. However, I correct IMMEDIATELY if there is a growl or wayward look. It is always my neutered male that starts it, but it is because my spayed yearling female is so BOUNCY and drives him crazy. She doesn't ever start a fight though. She is much more pit than he is. The other breed in her is Rott. :new_shocked: He is really pretty much a Heinz 57 but does have pit in him. Willow looks like a pit purebred. She is actually quite beautiful. She is a very sweet and loving dog, as is my male.

I would never leave a child unattended around ANY dog. The most vicious breed I know is a Cocker Spaniel. They can't kill an adult, but they sure as heck could do some damage to a little kid. I managed a no-kill animal shelter for three years, and I don't think there was EVER a time we didn't have a cocker in there because of being aggressive.

I fully agree that it is usually the way the dog has been handled, and/or the unsuitable-for-a-pet temperment that has already been created by irresponsible breeding/breeders, that is the biggest problem-and not just with pitbulls, but with many dog breeds. I also don't think that breed banning is likely to be of much help.

That said, I would not own a pitbull, for several reasons. One is that they ARE a breed that has historically been 'created' for certain specific uses; when you have one, that is always going to be an unavoidable part of the dog's behavior potential. I am fully prepared to make the committment to socialization and proper training, but don't want to be having to always wonder if that'll be enough, and to have to be super-vigilant when anyone comes.Another reason is that it is VERY likely that the vast majority of those breeding them are NOT people who are truly dog-knowledgable, who have the DOGS' best interests in mind, or who have 'family-friendly' temperment as a breeding goal-so, who would YOU want to get one from, if what you want is a dependable pet? Also, right or wrong, you may have real problems getting HO insurance if you have one or more pitbulls. I ran into this years ago, w/ a Rottie(and think it may STILL be the case, w/Rotties); it was solved my having my agent come by, meet the dog...but that was then? Have any of you who own them run into this, or are you just 'silent' about owning one? Food for thought....

I agree that it is a dangerous idea to leave just about ANY dog completely unattended with a small child(and for that matter, your miniature horses, in most cases.) ALL dogs have sharp teeth and a heritage as a predator--that cannot be denied.

I know and practice the importance of both proper socialization and training for ANY dog to be a good 'doggy citizen'-i.e., decent manners!-it only makes for a dog that EVERYONE likes better--as does the obvious of making sure your dog doesn't intrude in ANY way on other people's property-whether physically OR by barking or other behaviors. It's so too bad that so many do NOT bother to do the same....

A bit OT, but on the same vein--my only sibling, my older sister, loves dogs but doesn't have a LICK of common sense about animals(we are about as different as if we'd arrived from different PLANETS-
default_rolleyes.gif
default_smile.png
- gave up her two older and sweet, though undisciplined, Chihuahuas in a heartbeat, after having them all their lives, when she got serious with the 'latest' man she married(they'rve been 'several'; she can't exist w/o a man...)-because he had a snazzy house in Houston, and didn't want the carpets soiled....causing me to want to throttle her for her lack of loyalty to them...GRRRRR! They moved to the Hill country, built a fine house--she talked him into letting her get a lap dog-a Toy Poodle(not my recommendation). She called me for advice, and I spent HOURS on the phone, trying to explain to her how to housebreak properly, socialize, etc.--but to no avail, as she simply isn't capable of making the committment. She (unrealistically!)wanted the dog to love only her, and sit in her lap; the dog chose her hubby, who despite the past, 'gave in' and let the dog sit in HIS lap--so my sister, not knowing dog thinking at ALL, became the 'outsider'--and now, that dog BITES the bejeezers out of her, drawing blood! My point is, that some people just aren't suited to even HAVE dogs; when it's one of those has something that can really BE highly dangerous--it's the worst-case scenario.

Edited to add: my middle daughter, now 40, was severely bitten in the face at age 2 1/2, by a mostly German Shepherd mix. Long story, but definitely, theloose-running) dog owner's fault. The plastic surgeon who evaluated my daughter then told us that about 95% of the dog bite cases he'd seen had been done by German Shepherds or GS mixes...IMO, with certain breeds, it especially behooves the owner to handle/raise the dog properly; when that isn't done(as is so often the case), there is a heightened risk. I don't know if there will EVER be an answer for that situation. Nearby Albuquerque just passed a mandatory spay/neuter ordinance, but the indiscriminate breeders mostly live on the semi-rural fringes, so not sure if it'll have much effect. Where I live, if a strange dog comes around, I run it off immediately(or call Animal Control, now that we have one locally)-it doesn't matter WHAT kind of dog it is--I am not waiting to see 'what it's like'!

If you watch the animal cop shows on "Animal Planet", you know that in Detroit, ANY pitbull they take in is euthanized, period--while in NY City, those that pass temperment testing are often adopted out....different situations, different solutions---one wonders, which is really the better answer, given the circumstances??

Margo

I am not a lover of pit bulls because they have earned their reputation as being killers. Lock those jaws onto something and just don't let go. Many dogs are biters but it is the killers that should be outlawed.
Mary, APBTs, SBTs and ASTs cannot lock their jaws any more than other breeds of dog because they are all functionally the same and this is fact, proven by expert examination. Also, "Pit Bulls" have not earned their reputation as killers; people have given it to them. Do a little research to find out what these dogs are really about and you'll find it's not killing. The past is a lot of speculation, but as you stated, a few bad breeders, idiot owners and a lot of bad press have had a lot to do with what's happened to the reputation of these dogs more recently. Not too long ago these dogs were one of America's favorites...
default_wacko.png
:

Not all breeds of dogs have the power of the pit bulls. The pit bulls were bred for fighting and the strength of those jaws were what were disirable for fighting. Oh I have done research and I also have have had my experiences with the pit bulls....would never be an owner of one from experiences and research done!! It is my opinion from research and experience that they are a breed that will kill...not saying there aren't other breeds of dogs that won't kill. When dogs earn the reputation of being killers they are banned by cities and are noted for what they do. It is my opinion that those reputations are earned. People also earn reputations for being bad dog owners and also for not training the dogs they own. This article is just one of many written about pit bulls because of the reputations they do have. It is also my opinion that there are far better choices of dogs if a dog is wanted for a safe family pet or even a guardian. Other people are certainly entitled to their opinions. Once bitten it does make a difference!

This partially summarizes a pit bulls temperment:

1. Pit Bulls are often dog-aggressive to one extent or another (this often shows up at or near sexual maturity). A dog that was previously non-dog aggressive may "turn-on" and suddenly doesn't like other dogs of the same sex, or, for that matter, any dogs at all, even housemates they have been raised with. Adult Pit Bulls should NEVER be left alone with other dogs and require proper supervision.

2. Pit Bulls may exhibit intense "prey drive", leading them to "stalk" small animals such as cats, rats, chickens, livestock, or other pets.

3. Pit Bulls are precocious and incomparable escape artists, who will often seem to squirt right out of a supposedly secure yard or enclosure. When coupled with # 1 and # 2, you can see why a responsible Pit Bull owner is a vigilant pit bull owner.

I am not a lover of pit bulls because they have earned their reputation as being killers. Lock those jaws onto something and just don't let go. Many dogs are biters but it is the killers that should be outlawed.
Mary, APBTs, SBTs and ASTs cannot lock their jaws any more than other breeds of dog because they are all functionally the same and this is fact, proven by expert examination. Also, "Pit Bulls" have not earned their reputation as killers; people have given it to them. Do a little research to find out what these dogs are really about and you'll find it's not killing. The past is a lot of speculation, but as you stated, a few bad breeders, idiot owners and a lot of bad press have had a lot to do with what's happened to the reputation of these dogs more recently. Not too long ago these dogs were one of America's favorites...
default_wacko.png
:

There are MANY more breeds out there than "Pit Bulls" who often display dog aggressiveness, are gamey or have a high prey drive and are excellent escape artists, but most are not nearly as popular and often as abused as Pit Bulls YET. Ban "Pit Bulls" (three breeds, really) and you may as well ban the others because they'll be the next to be targeted by idiot breeders and owners and when the attacks begin, the media, as well.
default_wink.png
:

All three of those traits apply equally well, possibly better, to that well known killer breed the Border Collie.

I have yet to see a Pitbull that can be left watching a shadow on the ground and still be there an hour later- THAT is "prey drive"!!!

There have been a lot of good and considered arguments on this thread- and people have, on the whole, not become too intense or "personal" about the breed.

At the end of the day though it is irrelevant whether or not the Pitbull is as some people perceive it- I can assure you that banning the breed will do no more in your country than it has in mine.

Eight years into the Dangerous Dogs Act there are, if anything, MORE Pitbulls in England than there were before the ban, as it is now also seen as an act of defiance to own one, so it has a certain "romantic allure" that it did not have before.

Are there Pitbull attacks??

One that is verified, in eight years- about the same as there was before people became hysterical about it.

And the attack that cemented the DDA being brought in was done by two ROTTWEILERS!!!

I have to say some of these comments IMO are a bit ridiculous!

To imply that as a breed pitbulls are just like any other is crazy.

Mostly pitbulls are used for illegal dogfighting here. Largely becuase they are cheap and easy to acquire and EASY TO TRAIN TO FIGHT. THEIR NATURAL INSTINCT is to be aggressive, it is not an UNNATURAL INSTINCT in a pitbull.

Have you ever seen some of the pitbulls that end up in inner city shelters? Covered in scars, bulked up little balls of steel, they will fight to the death and they will lock on to their target and hold on .............this is what they were bred to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To say a pitbull doesn't lock their jaws is new to me, this is why they are so suited(unfortunately) to fighting, they hold on. When I adopted my little chihuahua, i got him from an inner city shelter. There were of course many pitbulls, poor things all looked like they were on steroids, ears cut off and heavily scared. There was also a little chihuahua there(the shelter mascot) called spider. his head was lopsided! Come to find out he had been attacked by one of the shelter pitbulls. The shelter staff told me when the pb accidently got out of his pen he lunged at the chihuahua and locked his jaws. 4 people tried unlock the dogs jaws with a wooden bat. Finally, they resorted to twisting the dogs leg, they broke the pb's leg(accidently) he STILL did not release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!She said he finally ran out of breathe and had to gasp and they got the chihuahua away from him. I am sure this dog had been trained to fight but it still shows the amazing strength he had. He was only doing what he had been bred to do.

They were not bred to be lapdogs, herders, hunting dogs, they were bred to be brave enough and capable to take on a BULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, of course, not ALL will be fighters like not every lab will be a good retreiver but as a general rule we shouldn't be shocked to see a border collie herding tennis balls, a golden retreiving our socks or a pitbull attacking and killing livestock.

I am NOT saying all pitbulls are dangerous but they are not suited to every home or every situation and owning any breed that has the potential to do such damage is MORE of a responsibility.

That probably sounds harsh, I really don't mean it to be.

Over the past twenty-five years I have had horses attacked specifically by PIT BULLs four times in three different locations (cities). However, the worst attack of all of which I have first hand knowledge was by a Rottweiller that killed a five year old son of his owner, who was a trainer for me at the time.

Latest posts

Back