Texas to Nebraska- No Hair

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbiedoll68346

Reaction score
We recently purchased a mare at the High Hopes Auction. She has no winter hair and it is getting chilly in Nebraska. I have been blanketing at night so she is not shivering, should I be doing this? I feel so sorry for her, she is freezing already. Need suggestions!!

Barb

Barb, definitely keep her blanketed!! If she is shivering, she is too cold. My horses that came home from the World show still don't have enough hair to be without blankets when the weather warrants. I'm in Oklahoma City and the weather here is up and down this time of year. So, yes, definitely blanket her as needed. She'll grow hair even with a blanket on.

Thanks for the reassurance Becky, I was worried that blanketing her would deter hair growth. I did not want to see her shivering. I blanket her at night with an insulated winter one then just put a light sheet on her early in the morning before I leave for work. She is being introduced to the rest of the herd today. I have been stalling her next to them within sight but out of reach since Sunday when she arrived home. We have a few ditzies in the herd that can be real bothers but they were all getting along great so far.

Thanks again Becky

Barb

might even want to consider getting a brooder lalm (heat lamp) with a 250 watt red bulb to help keep her warm too.

Got one of those, just didn't think to use it in her stall at night. Good idea!!!

Barb

I would just set yourself to blanket all this winter. Next winter she should go straight into a winter coat, no problems, but may still need a bit of help!

I would blanket day and night, unless you get some really bright days, use and under blanket at night. Good Luck.

I've had horses clipped this time of year need blanketing all winter long. we are in Oklahoma city too so not near as cold as you.

A horse coming from TX is going to need a year to adjust to your climate.

Keep them warm so their immune system doesn't get depressed and then they get sick.

Charlotte

You may find that she will grow hair really quickly, and that you won't actually have to keep her blanketed all winter.

When we bring our clipped horses back from Worlds in October, they are typically able to go outside unblanketed in less than a month. They never grow as much of a winter coat as the ones that weren't clipped in the Fall, but they do grow enough to keep themselves warm throughout our very cold winters (and here in Canada it is frequently -30!)

I would recommend that you keep enough clothes on her so she doesn't shiver, but also make sure she doesn't get too hot, as that might interfere with growth. Also, the shorter days will help, so if you bring her into the barn at night, don't leave the lights on.

I live in Minnesota, and you know how cold it gets here.

The horses that i take to the World Show are always slowly acclimated again when they get home. I start off by blanketing them in and out of the barn.. After a while I let them out during the day without a blanket, then but inside at night with a blanket. Later they are turned outside 24 hours a day, but still wear blankets at night. Eventually, they no longer wear blankets at all.

They are in an area with really good shelter. Eventually, I do not blanket them at all and when I notice that they are not shivering at all, day or night, then I put them out in the paddock areas they will stay in for the winter. At this time, all but one are now out day and night without blankets (though it is going to get really cold next week and I may have to blanket again).

The one, she is taking really long to grow any coat, so she is out during the day (weather permitting), and in the barn at night, with a blanket at all times. The blanket she is wearing includes the neck. She may have to be in and out of the barn all winter.

I do know that the southern horses are very slow to acclimate to colder weather.

Good luck with her.

A few years ago I had a mare shipped up here to south MO from south TX. She arrived about 10pm on Christmas Eve! I love those kinds of Christmas presents! But she had TX hair, and it was COLD here! I had to blanket her all that winter. She hated that blankie, and could figure out ways to get out of it, but sometimes I'd go out and she'd be standing by it wanting to me to hurry up and put it back on her!
default_biggrin.png

#56, my hubby bought her, she is really nice, she is the first horse he has picked out and bought on his own, with a little help from my friend who was at the sale and bid on her for him. She is bred to Little Kings Buckeroo Zodiac for 2011. We really like her, she is super easy to handle and she loves her blanket!!!! She came from Tyler, Texas.

Good thing I was not at the sale because lots of horses went real cheap and I would have had a REAL difficult time keeping my hand down. We really want her to breed to our newly acquired Kahoka Palomino stud next year. We did not have any sorrel-red mares. We are picking him up next weekend. I am a sucker for the palominos, but they MUST be gold. Love em!!!

Were you at the sale?

Barb Davis

DreamCatcher Farms

Dunbar, Nebraska

Yup, in Wisconsin and our horses clipped for the Sept Tulsa show don't have as long a coat as the ones who didn't go. They are adjusting. I try to leave blankets off unless they are shivering, as you said, then we blanket until the temps get to about 50 in the sun. They will grow a winter coat but not as long as the ones not clipped so late.

When I originally bought my stallion, he was 1 1/2 yr old and came up in Oct from Florida. He thought he was in H--- ( well the frozen version) as he was cold all winter even after we blanketed him. He's adjusted after 5 years but the snow is still not his favorite thing. Funny he's not fond of the heat either....he's just lazy, I guess.

Back