Texas/Louisiana check in

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookhaven

Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread for all our friends in Texas and Louisiana that are in Rita's path to be sure you are out of harm's way or safely secured on your farm. Please report in and let everyone know if you need help.

Checking in.....still in Bryan-College Station, so far at 11am all we've had is strong wind and light rain. We got really lucky as Wenesday/Thursday they were forecasting Rita to come in at Galveston with the eye to pass over the BCS area. I don't know what kind of damage, if any, we've sustained at home in Montgomery 50 miles away. I called my mother this morning and she said the local news was reporting 60mph + winds in Montgomery county. I'm assuming since I haven't heard from the neighbors (who decided to ride it out) that everything is fine. My parents plan to check out the property after lunch (hopefully the winds will die down) to see if we can return. I may send my husband back with a couple dogs this afternoon, and I'll return tomorrow with Rosie and the trailer. The winds are too strong right now to safely pull a trailer; I'm in no hurry to get home.

I'm really praying for those in severe southeast TX and southwest LA. I feel that the Houston Metro area was probably the most prepared for this storm since they forecasted it to come here so far in advance. We all had a chance to get out (unless you got stuck in traffic). SE TX and SW LA kind of gotten taken by surprize with the sudden shift and I hope everyone is ok. We won't know the entire extent of the damage until late this evening or tomorrow morning.

Well I dont know hurricanes but they did lower it to a 1 instead of the 3 or 4 it was at. So that had to of helped some.

hello friends

I write in desperation as I have heard my place is inaccessable due to all the damage. Friends have tried to get in, and there are too many trees on my driveway to get in. They could not see my house, which is in plain view. I fear the worst. I have 25 horses there, my dog, and cats. I can rebuild my house, I cannot rebuild my horses. You all know I have had my QH for 21 years. He may be gone....We are in Checotah, Oklahoma, at a KOA campground. You can pm me, I can check e-mails peridiocally. Please pray for us

I'm in Bryan/College Station area. Just alot of wind very little rain.

Talked to my son and daughter, that had to stay in Houston because they couldn't get out,this morning. They said a lot of Houston is without power so it might be awhile before you hear from people down there. There is no reports about anyone being hurt!

Barbara

Alicia, prayers! I can imagine how afraid you are! I hope everything and all your loved ones are safe at your house. Hope you can get home soon to find out. {{{Hugs}}}

Christy D'Armond in LA is fine. They had some damage but not near as much as with Katrina. They got their power back already.

all we have is wind since we were not in the direct path and being inland....my friend from the Houstan area made it here with two of her horses and went back down to her farm and pick up the other horses/goats and family and found they had no gas to leave...she said they were siphoning everything they could fiind!!!!!! So they stayed and hoped for the best..I, myself was sick with worry untill she conntacted me today..WHEW!!! All is ok, all they lost was a tree and some fencing...thank you God!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for you. We are still going through it to here in Louisiana.

We are once again with out power but able to use generat. Trees are going down due to being weak from Katrina.

Hope prayer al of your animals are o.k,. They have a since of survival. If I could be of any help please feel free to let me know. I can give you what I got.

Joyce

God will see you through.

wwmhf said:
hello friends
I write in desperation as I have heard my place is inaccessable due to all the damage.  Friends have tried to get in, and there are too many trees on my driveway to get in.  They could not see my house, which is in plain view.  I fear the worst.  I have 25 horses there, my dog, and cats.  I can rebuild my house, I cannot rebuild my horses.  You all know I have had my QH for 21 years.  He may be gone....We are in Checotah, Oklahoma, at a KOA campground.  You can pm me, I can check e-mails peridiocally.  Please pray for us

472673[/snapback]

I heard Debi_M is ok.
yes.gif

YAHOO!! No major damage here. Electricity even stayed on. We do have some very large limbs down and some flooding in the barn but heck nothing a chainsaw and more shavings cant fix. Believe me I was praying to the man up stairs to take it easy on us.

Shoooweee, As some of you know, we just moved from Ky. to DeKalb, Tx. Never been in or around a hurricane before, so I was one scared lady. It is now 9:00 p.m. and no damage here. Blew over a swing glider and a BBQ grill, have ponds where there was none before, but we are okay! So are the horses so far. I wanted to offer pasture like I did with Katrina, but we were supposed to get a lot of wind, possibly tornadoes and flooding. I did not know what to expect, so I just sat here and kept my mouth shut and my heart in my throat. Just heard on tv that no human lives have been lost. Thanks everyone for all your prayers. I know they helped!

Alicia,

I know your horses will be okay. Are you okay?

Please let us know when you know how everything is? God bless you!

Beth

We are all safe at my place. No real damages to speak of. Just got some rain and a few wind bursts.

Thank you, God!

Wind and rain here - only about 1-3/4" of that. Not what we expected from all forecasts. But we never thought we be in a tropical storm warning in the Red River Valley. Ha!! Thanks the Lord for sparing lives.

Just got my electricity back on this evening after being out since Friday sometime after 9 pm. We got plenty of rain, which we needed. Katrina was a lot nicer than Rita. I still had stacks of limbs to clean up from Katrina and now I have an even bigger mess! The first thing I will HAVE to take care of is putting the tin back on the shed where I keep my feed. The rest I just don't want to deal with right now and will probably try not to think about it until after World. Maybe by then it will be a bit cooler. It is soooo hot and muggy right now, that I have no energy left to even try to clean up the mess that Rita left. I am so THANKFUL that I did not have any damage to my buildings or my house and my horses, once again, made through another storm.

Well we are all okay; no power still in my subdivision in Spring, Tx. But all animals and humans are okay. Spent most of yesterday and Sat. picking up all the debri that Rita blew out of all the trees. We have very old tall oaks and a few pines that gave up a lot of their small branches/twigs and many leaves and pine straw. The horses spent the night in the garage and did fine; I would go in and visit with them every hour or so.

We do have a generator and gas so we are able to run a fan and keep refrig and freezer up and working and we have local tv (cable is out). But even with a fan, it was 92 degrees inside trying to sleep.

We did rescue a little chihuahua but he is at the vet's now getting checked out and it's not good news. Severe heart murmur. I will write on the back porch and ask advice on him.

thanks for all your prayers and concern.

kd sword

spring, tX

I'm at work today and that's why I'm able to communicate.

Latest posts

Back