tetnus vaccine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contessa

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question to some of you but I would really like to know. Why is the human tetnus vaccine effective for 10 years and the the equine vaccine only good for 1 year? Wouldn't it be basically the same vaccine?

I'm not sure, I've often wondered that. My vet insisted my stallion have the tetanus again after only 6 months because he was getting gelded. I argued that the one given 6 months ago should be fine, but he said no. There must be something different about it from the human one I guess. I'd love to hear an explanation also.

Good question. Maybe something to do with the environment they live in....ie outdoors, eating off the ground etc. Or maybe just because the pharmaceutical companies have sold it that way. What about small animals, dogs & cats?

Jan

I know things have changed lots over the years in pharmaceuticals but

years ago I'd heard that tetanus was good for 18 months in a horse.

Most people however, had them re upped with the annual shots.

I do believe you can do a blood draw, to test whether there is still an

active amount in the blood before re inoculating, again.

Good question. Maybe something to do with the environment they live in....ie outdoors, eating off the ground etc.
I do believe this is a big part of it. The horse's environment is just full of "dirty" stuff, so they are more likely to get dirt/bacteria etc in any wound they may get, and we as their caregivers aren't likely to find the wound the instant it happens and get it cleaned immediately (like we do with ourselves).

I have a degree in microbiology, but I'll take a shot at this vet type question. Tetnus is from Clostridium tetani that is found naturally in the dirt. A horses natural environment consists of dirt. But for humans to get problems from tetnus, the dirt pretty much has to be rubbed into a wound and "hamburgered" up. But as you can tell with horses, they get a cut, flies bring in dirt and they lay in it. So dirt gets rubbed into the wound.

As far as how long the shot lasts, a body builds up immunity with the shot to help fight tetnus. But over time, the immunity breaks down. So adding new bacteria toxins for a horses body to build immunity helps them stay safe since they are probably fighting tetnus all the time.

I'm sure when gelding a stallion, they don't need it. But its an added security for the vet and your horse to ensure they won't have problems.

Latest posts

Back