tetanus shot question ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Never2Mini

Reaction score
I bought a mini mare that is pregnant. Not sure when she is due ? I know you should give the tetanus shot 30 days before foaling but I am not sure when she is due ? She is also not up to date on shots. So should I give the tetanus shot now then in 3-4 wks ? Or would you all suggest I wait till she foals and give her and the foal a tetanus antitoxin then. If I do it that way when then should I give the Tetanus toxoid shot to them ? Vet has looked at her but he is not familar with Mini's none are in my area. He feels any where from 2 - 4 months till delievery. I was seeing lots of movement but foal seems to not be moving as much here lately guess it is getting a bit snug in there. She is not making a bag as of yet. She has had foals before. I have had regular size horses my whole life but this is my first expecting mother. Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

Last edited by a moderator:
It needs to be given no closer than 2 weeks before foaling, but as long as a couple of months prior to foaling. So if we think she's due as early as 2 months, then I would vaccinate in 6 weeks. If foaling doesn't occur until 4 or even 5 months down the road, you'll still be pretty good.

I would not booster an adult mare as the likelihood is she's been vaccinated at least once in her life prior to this, but if you wanted to booster then I wouldn't consider that to be wrong either.

My typical protocol for pregnant mares is;

Eastern/Western Encephalitis and Tetanus Toxoid combo

Rhino/Flu combo

West Nile

Dr. Taylor

Thanks !
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back