Test ride today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercysmom

Reaction score
After feeding two two year old fillies and with one for sale and no bites in this economy, I came up with a solution that works for me...

Weatherly's dam is for sale - an older horse but she is retired from the show ring/broodmare herd and she is sound and has been trail riding all summer. I will be test driving her today to see if she is a good fit for me and in exchange, Enterprise will move to that farm and Dipper will come here.

Dipper is a 22 year old black Morgan with hind socks, 15.1 and went to the Morgan Nationals as a Park Harness junior horse and may have done park under saddle. In the ring she is a "show horse" with high action and on the trail, she goes on the buckle. I have a lot of coworkers who trail ride and now I can join them until Weatherly is ready to start.

Reunion of mom and daughter should be interesting.

The rest of the herd is well - Mercy is slowing down a bit (she will be 15 next year) - she doesn't think chasing the Morgans away from their grain is as much fun anymore... she walks up to their door and shakes her head and walks away. Nefertiti is as naughty as ever, Freedom has decided beating up the Morgans is a lot of fun - she goes up to them with ears back and turns her butt at them and they run for the hills. Indy is great, too.

We have had snow here already, and warm weather all last week. It was supposed to rain today but the sky is turning blue and my test ride should be great. Andy is home this weekend so I have a computer and can give an update.

Denise

[SIZE=12pt]Wow, that sounds like a good trade!
default_wink.png
[/SIZE]

i'll be looking for an update on how it went....
default_wub.png

& maybe pictures?!
default_laugh.png

Good Luck!

Weather here improved enough for a great trail ride - the test ride of Dipper the Morgan. Dipper was alert - she is a very sensitive horse and we got along well. She tolerated a tractor coming by her with a big implement and some cars. The only thing that caused her to be a little nervous on the trail were some bowhunters...but once they spoke to her, she realized they were guys. She just needs her Coggins and vaccinations and she will then come home to us.

I feel bad about moving E on but it will be a wonderful farm for her to go to - there is a group of young fillies and she will be treated like royalty - she may go on to another home once trained but I am thinking they may find her as loving as I did and she may join their broodmare herd.

If Weatherly goes as well as her mom does, I am one lucky lady.
default_wub.png

Dipper was very sweet to work with and she will be a great addition.

Denise

Congrats! She sounds perfect for you
default_smile.png

Dipper arrives this coming Saturday the 22nd and I can't wait! Just waiting on her Coggins test results. With the snow predicted for this week, I am looking forward to riding in the snow and getting my knee back in shape. I have been doing the housecleaning I put off all summer so that when I can ride, I will!

Other updates - Freedom has shown promise as a trick horse - she mastered the smile, shake hands, shake her head no, (we are working on yes) and responding to things I ask her. She is such fun - the latest is that she likes her backside scratched and she figures I can do it better with my nails...if I do not do it quickly enough, she will lift a foreleg, which means "More."

Weatherly is a big goofball - she is such a baby still. I have a new grooming kit and she loves playing with it, and she loves to play with the hose when I am filling buckets.

Nefertiti is very spirited in the cold weather - I warned my interim farrier that he will need to get her Shetland shoes and pads on next year. :) For a change, she was good for him. She prefers Linda, aka "Fred."

Mercy and the pigs are battling over food - they growl and chirp at her when she looks at their food dishes and she shakes her head no at them.

Indy is still the happy go lucky mini who gets along with everyone.

Enterprise is getting ready for her new home - I will miss her.

Pics of Dipper to follow once she is officially mine.

Denise

Dipper arrived last Sunday - for the first time since I have owned her, Weatherly nickered when she saw her mom step off the trailer. Weatherly is 2 years old and she immediately went to her mom and tried to nurse (she got swatted). Then she was doing the "baby face", another first for Weatherly.

Enterprise did not bat an eyelash when I loaded her on the trailer to go to her new home...she is settling in well and trying to meld into her new herd (which includes Weatherly's full younger sister). Her new owner said she is "very smart and willing to do what ever is asked of her." She did not whinny when she left, which made it easier on me.

Back to our home herd - Nefertiti was not happy about the newcomer and did a lot of squealing and kicking. Dipper just made a nasty face with her ears back and she kept everyone in line except Freedom, who has re-established herself as alpha mare in training... the only one she yields to is Mercy.

I got a chance to ride Dipper yesterday, briefly. She was wel-mannered and ready to go so I am looking forward to this weekend to go on a real ride. She is more of a park horse under saddle, especially when in a new situation. I gave her the reins and she settled down a bit but she is going to be fun.

And, she and I have creaky joints...
default_laugh.png
and she is very friendly.

I have to say, don't overlook the elderly horses (Dipper is 22) - I know she has a lot to teach me!

Happy Thanksgiving - will try to get pics tomorrow. Andy is home this weekend so I have the computer!

Denise

Back