terrible tradegy unfolding -school shooting in Connecticut

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just think of those presents under the tree waiting for the children but there will be no little hands to open them this Christmas. Its just so sad I can't imagine what they're family's are going through,

My heart is certainly heavy for everyone suffering from this senseless act of a disturbed individual being so deranged as to execute several children (mostly all around the age of six years old) as well as the adults caring for them and educating them as well as the woman that brought him into this world. It re-enforces my opinion that society is crumbling right before our very eyes. Yes, there have always been and always will be mass murders. My town has the stigma of the infamous Phantom Killer from years ago. The thing now is there is just so much more feeding the frenzy of a mentally disturbed person as far as peer pressure and other factors.

We have been told that the forum rules do not allow us to discuss gun control, politics, or religion. Sooooo....I will stick to the rules here and the only thing I would add is that the media is at least getting some of the circumstances correct now. I am now hearing he killed his mother at home, he had his 24 year old brother's i.d. and he is himself a 20 year old, and that his mother did not work at the school, and that his dad did not live in CT but is however an employee of GE Capital.

What can we do as parents? Good question. Vote and vote on issues using your common sense. Keep your children monitored on how much time they spend watching tv and playing video games and by all means monitor what they are watching and playing. I am hearing that this guy was really into violent video games and I am not getting that info from the commonly known news media. They might be saying it...I just no longer tune into them. There is a video game out there called Far Cry that kids can play where they rack up points for violently killing people. Sick
default_sad.png
and no doubt there are many other ones as well. Teach your children that good and evil both exist and teach them to recognize both. Do we really want to give our kids mind altering drugs like ridalyn (sp??) Parents should spend more quality time bonding with their children and teaching them right from wrong, loving them, encouraging them, cooking healthy food for them, making sure they get plenty of physical exercise, and just plain and simply becoming productive members of society instead of becoming a burden to their families and their community.

Limiting violent games, tv and even banning guns isn't going to fix the problem. Mental health issues are a big problem in society and they need to be taken seriously. Medication is sometimes necessary. It was said that this guy had personality issues, of which will never go away and can really only be treated and managed with medication.

Violent video games won't make a mentally healthy person go crazy, however a mentally instable person could be pushed over the edge by them.

The stigma of medication and mental health needs to go away so people are willing to get help.

I read an article written by a mom who has a son who she feels is similar to Adam. Her position is a tough one. You can take a young adult to have an evaluation by a professional, and tell them you think they could become dangerous, and what will be done? Likely, nothing that will truly change anything. Psychiatric hospitals run on an overflow capacity as it is, and, even if there is space, it is extremely hard, if not impossible, to get someone committed for treatment on the basis of "what they might do in the future".

Did Adam's mom think he could be dangerous? I would hope not, or else she was highly negligent to allow him access to guns. But then, other weapons are readily available in our society, so the answer is moreso in identifying and treating mental health diseases. And anyone who has ever dealt with psychiatry diagnostics and treatments knows that this is hit or miss at best....taking a mentally ill person to different doctors often results in a different diagnosis and treatment regimen by each one, as it is much more subjective in nature than other fields of medicine.

Maybe other parents will come out of the woodwork now and say they fear their children have similar issues as Adam. And maybe our medical community will take them seriously. But my guess is that a) most parents are blind to this sort of potential in their kids, regardless of the signs and b) nothing will truly change regarding the help for parents with "problem kids".

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
It was difficult sending my kids off this morning, there was deffinately an extra long hug and an extra "I love you". Later it hit me like a ton of bricks, and I am not asking for anyone to argue or debate, but in my heart, I have prayed for these families and community, like so many millions across this country. Without getting too into the subject, and sadly not wanting it deleted, I am humbled beyond words to know that there were members among that school that put themselves before those children, such a selfless act, an act that saved many of those kids in my eyes. To quote Forest Gump, There is just no way that I can personally accept "that we all just float around accidental-like on a breeze".

Last edited by a moderator:
Tippy toeing through through the tulips of what we can say I will say that I totally agree with what you say Carolyn and even what you did not say.
default_whistling.gif
My dad ended our phone conversation this weekend with an "I love you." I know this recent event is what prompted him to say that instead of his usual "I think I do" which is a joke he and my mom had for telling each other "I love you" back before we lost her.

Ashley, I have to agree with you on that banning guns is not going to fix the problem. As far as meds I have to say that would be the last resort imho. I believe the side effects are worse than the problem based on personal experience and first hand observation as well as information shared by friends. Homeopathic (as in natural herbs) and good nutrition as well as support from family, friends, and professionals should be exhausted before pharmaceuticals come in and "wallpaper" the person's outook on life.

Wendy, I had already read that lady's letter. We need to stop ignoring the elephant in the room (also known as the degradation of society). Thanks for posting it.

The pictures of the victims are starting to be posted on the internet. I saw one today that really touched my heart...a woman that obviously loved her big ole dog. I will post. And, if anyone sees the picture of a little girl names Allison I would like to see it. I have not seen it yet but she shares my July 3 birthday.

RachelDavino.jpg

Just an FYI, we are working with a mini therapy non-profit in CT and with our County 4-H Office to offer to take some of our minis to Newtown. Many of the 4-Hers in our Club are about the same ages as the older kids in the Sandy Hook School (8-10 years old).

Here is Allison. She is so beautiful I cried when I found this.

600-1_zpse4286dec.jpg

Is there any explanation of why he did this (I make it always a point to never, ever repeat the perpetrators name, btw as often part of why they do it is to be remembered- if we purposely forget them it makes a small point.) This might go some way towards suggesting some sort of preventative? I have been watching the news and following the follow up- have you seen the NRA's answer? This whole thing is a tragedy but one thing is absolutely clear- whatever the answer, if, indeed there is one, it is not clear cut and it is not going to be easy.

Jane, the latest about "why" was that the killer had a mental disorder that his mother had been trying to deal with all of his life. It was getting worse, so she was looking into trying to get him into a facility of some kind. He found out about it and snapped. He also felt his mother cared more for the school she volunteered at than him. So he killed her first and then went to the school.

Is there any explanation of why he did this (I make it always a point to never, ever repeat the perpetrators name, btw as often part of why they do it is to be remembered- if we purposely forget them it makes a small point.) This might go some way towards suggesting some sort of preventative? I have been watching the news and following the follow up- have you seen the NRA's answer? This whole thing is a tragedy but one thing is absolutely clear- whatever the answer, if, indeed there is one, it is not clear cut and it is not going to be easy.
Jane you are absolutely correct about not giving the infamy to this individual. I saw his photo on a tabloid at the checkout at the grocery store today. Made me sick. One response I did hear last week, not by the NRA, but in general was there are so many military personnel that are let go once there term is fullfillled, they come back from over seas and no longer have a purpose. It was stated to employ the appropriate ones with the correct background at public schools. I don't know the right or wrong answers, I am pro gun, but do have issues with the public use of certain models, it is a slippery slope to traverse, and at what point does the government draw the line on either side of the argument?

What I do know is it is a very sad ordeal, I have cried every day for those victims, and could not blame those parents one bit if they personally never wanted to see another gun the rest of their lives.

I just heard about a large group celebrities getting together to record an anti-gun commercial. My point is not to comment on people being anti-guns, because that's their right, but to say that I think anyone who hires armed bodyguards to protect them (which all celebrities do, at least on occasion if not round-the-clock) and then preaches "no guns", is a complete hypocrite. It would appear that they think they are more important than the rest of us....they should have guns protecting them, but we shouldn't have the right to have them to protect ourselves. The same with, for example, all of the Senators and even the President, who send their kids to private schools that have armed guards (Sidwell Friends School, where Obama's daughters go, has 11 fulltime armed guards and they are hiring a 12th). Again, people have the right to their own opinions and this isn't a gun/antigun comment, but if you're going to criticize the NRA for promoting armed guards in schools, you probably shouldn't be sending your own kids to schools with armed guards.

Wendy

"I am pro gun, but do have issues with the public use of certain models, it is a slippery slope to traverse, and at what point does the government draw the line on either side of the argument?"

Yes Miss Carolyn, very slippery. However you asked a good question," where does the gov draw the line?" The answer that was commonly known and held yesterday, lies buried today. The entire point was that gov had no say in the matter, period. Now there was and is a very good reason that "they" don't have a say in the matter, but I feel that I must honor Miss Debbie and leave it lie right there.

I am also in agreement with with Miss Wendy. I would like to point out however that the NRA is not what the "glancers" think it is. It has been a part of the "controlled opposition" for MANY years now. Many, many thousands of restrictive gun laws to date proves this point. A great many folk leave their lifetime memberships behind when they find out this truth.

Something very serious is amiss and has been since the Stockton shooting of many years ago. Look deeper, there is far more to the story of who is butchering our children and loved ones and further, why.

Latest posts

Back