terrible tradegy unfolding -school shooting in Connecticut

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been listening to this all morning it's terrible I can't even begin to imagine the pain all these families are experiencing. All I could do is pray for the families so that's what I have done.

It's so scary thinking this could happen here, there, anywhere at anytime.

It's more then sad... if anyone would like to discuss this here feel free just don't turn this into a post about gun control...not the time or place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just can't imagine what a parent of any child at this school would have gone through when they first heard the news and went running to the school :-(. If the reports are correct the children that died were from kindergarden to grade 4 :-( and some of the staff, Principle.... My heart goes out to everyone in that school and their families.

I had to go to town this morning, when I got home planned on getting my end of the year paper work done, was almost finished when this horror story came on.

American mothers are weeping for the lost children, and all of the victims of this mad man. How awful for the families involved. I've already been sending prayers. Too sad for words! Shame is, this type of thing is happening all too often, has me wondering what type of insanity is among us.

I had to go to town this morning, when I got home planned on getting my end of the year paper work done, was almost finished when this horror story came on.

American mothers are weeping for the lost children, and all of the victims of this mad man. How awful for the families involved. I've already been sending prayers. Too sad for words! Shame is, this type of thing is happening all too often, has me wondering what type of insanity is among us.

oh my goodness...

[updated at 3:22 p.m. ET] It appears that another member of the alleged shooter's family is dead. A senior law enforcement official familiar with the investigation says a brother of the alleged shooter was found dead in a home searched in Hoboken, New Jersey. We already knew Ryan Lanza's mother was found dead in the elementary school.

This is so sad. It's really hard to watch because I have a son in elementary school. I can't wait for him to come home from school so I can hug him and tell him how much I love him. The whole idea of this is so scary...

It seems that he targeted his mother who was a kindergarden teacher at that school. Unfortunately he ended targeting some of the children in her class too :-(. There is alot of confusion coming out in the media. One is saying there is another dead individual in the Lanza residence in Newton and they say they have his younger brother in custody but on the other hand they are saying the other individual who is dead in the home is the brother.

What can schools do to protect against such things? It is getting to the point that you are going to have to surround schools with no climb fencing and keep it locked at all times or sorry Deb but at some point national dialogue is going to have to take place about guns perhaps as well or it will just keep happening with more frequency and I don't think that is acceptable to anyone, anywhere. These individuals who do such things are falling through the cracks of getting medical treatment for their mental health. What can be done to try and minimize this if anything?. You have the shooting in Oregon two days ago and now this one too.

They are warning parents to ensure young children are kept away from seeing or hearing about this on tv news today. I am sure going to ensure that Makayla doesn't see or hear about it. As it is she is worried about all this talk about the world ending on December 21st... I remember at that age, we were sheltered and so naive about things, you were allowed to be kids. I wouldn't want to be a child in this day and age.

My husband didn't hear about this until just now, as he just got home from work. I'm watching a grown man shed tears, as was our President when he spoke today. I'm afraid that gun control at this point won't work as so many already have hand guns. I know personally that we only have hunting rifles here, but you never know who has a concealed hand gun. I wish I had answers as to how to end this, as it seems to happen way too often. My personal thoughts are that there is no more fear of God. Not to say that if you don't believe is wrong, it just seems to me that the almighty has been taken out of so many lives that this crazy people feel that they won't have to suffer any consequenses. Maybe there have always been insane people that want to feel all powerful or just don't care about anyone elses life except there own, and then since they take their own life after the fact, they mustn't care about that either. I don't know, I can't figure out the crazy's, I'll never understand as long as I live how someone can be so horrable as tto take the life of child.

My heart is breaking - as a parent and a teacher. Todd and I were just talking about this and he shared something I didn't know. He said, "I keep Olivia's old ball bat in my classroom. The kids ask me about it, and I tell them, if anyone tries to get in here to hurt anyone, they will have to come through me." I know he means it - just like every other teacher I know, including myself, would do anything to keep those kids safe. While they are with us - they are OUR kids and we would protect them with our life. All of those teachers today are heroes!

My heart breaks for those involved. I just can not fathom the pain those parents must be going through.

This affects me on so many levels as I too work at an elementary school, and while we take precautions (metal bars, tall perimeter fencing), there's just no way we would be able to prevent a tragedy if someone wanted to commit it bad enough. Now days, we have to watch the kids as closely as we do campus visitors.

I hate to admit it but I have a child killer in my family, who is out living a wonderful life amongst us. How an adult could ever become so evil to commit violence on a child is so far beyond me.

This is so so tragic and heartbreaking. I work in a school and my husband is a school police officer. We fear this every single day. My heart is breaking for the parents, relatives and friends of those that lost their lives. Everyone, please take a moment to hold and love those close to us.

I just got out of school when I was told by my mom. These poor kids are surely tramatized. In the future, we are probably going to have to lock doors, have fences, metal detectors at the doors, like a daily lockdown. It may seem like prison, but it can save lives, if it happens again. How many more cases like this has to happen before there is something done?

So many cases like this has happen in the past year, and its so tragic. My brother was actually at the Colorado theater with his girlfriend a couple days before the mass shooting. My prayers are with everyone who was affected by this horrible event.

I saw this on facebook--it made me mad because some people were fighting about gun control.

My heart goes out to all of those fathers, mothers, and children and others involved. Its so heart breaking. I never cry, but I really teared up about this. Its so sad--why do people do this? two years ago and a local middle school here, two 12 year olds went into the school with guns but thankfully, they were caught in time and no one got hurt. School shootings happen all the time and its so sad. I'v been praying so much for these people. I really hope they were believers and are in heaven now.

"My personal thoughts are that there is no more fear of God."

Yes Miss Rose, Nail, meet head.

Bb

"I really hope they were believers and are in heaven now."

You and I both.

It is a situation that is awful beyond words. It also shows that you cannot regulate crazy. This school had many "safety nets" in place but this still happened because crazy has no regard for rules and regulation
default_sad.png

Not sure, at that age, that anyone would think to ask if they were "believers"- they were children. If there is a heaven, they are in it, end of story.

Not going to start a debate on gun control, most certainly, but I will tell you that when this same situation happened here, in Dunblane, the killer was a member of a local gun club and all his guns were legally bought. This is a country that does not arm it's Police force, and whose police force does not wish to be armed!

Some things you cannot legislate against.

Some things cannot be avoided, I am afraid.

It is so sad, so heart rendingly sad.

When my daughter got home from school yesterday, I gave her a great big hug......and she hugged back. (Being a teenager she sometimes does the "Oh MOM" thing.)

She told me that when the news hit at her high school, the principal decided to conduct three separate lockdown drills during the rest of the day.

There was already a planned assembly for the last class period and the principal called for a moment of silence at the beginning of it.

Back