Teeth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineyoaks miniatures

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a mini that looks like they are pouching bad and it be teeth that are turning sideways because of overcrowding?

I have a 6yr old mare that had dental work about a month ago that the dentist thought she had large buckles on her upper molars that he ground down, but now a month later, the pouching look is even worse and she is having trouble chewing. He came back out and after looking at it again found she has overcrowding and will need some teeth pulled.

I'm not saying the dentist isn't good, he is, I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their mini. Is it common?

This mare at 4yr old had tooth bumps that never went down so I had her checked for retained caps, but she didn't have any so I was just wondering if even back then she wasn't showing signs of overcrowding and these were a sign of the overlarge teeth that were to come down later. Am I making any sense?

In my experience, I had a mare that had very crowded teeth due to the shape of her jaw. She had a domish head kind of like dwarfs do, and her tooth bumps were not pretty. Her wolf teeth actually grew up behind her front incisors.

He had to pull them out and said she just had a bad jaw conformation for her teeth and it made them crowded. Some horses just need more management than others ESPECIALLY when they are young and growing as there can be retained caps and other issues which will affect the end result if not tended fairly regularly.

Good luck!

Liz M.

Has anyone ever had a mini that looks like they are pouching bad and it be teeth that are turning sideways because of overcrowding?

I have a 6yr old mare that had dental work about a month ago that the dentist thought she had large buckles on her upper molars that he ground down, but now a month later, the pouching look is even worse and she is having trouble chewing. He came back out and after looking at it again found she has overcrowding and will need some teeth pulled.

I'm not saying the dentist isn't good, he is, I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their mini. Is it common?

This mare at 4yr old had tooth bumps that never went down so I had her checked for retained caps, but she didn't have any so I was just wondering if even back then she wasn't showing signs of overcrowding and these were a sign of the overlarge teeth that were to come down later. Am I making any sense?

Overcrowding in miniatures is not uncommon. That is why we need to be sure and watch them and care for their teeth. We have been trying to breed away from teeth problems for years but there are plenty of minis that still have a lot of problems. There are certain bloodlines that tend to have more problems than others too.

Some minis retain their caps too long and the tooth bumps show up. If they stay too long they calcify and the bumps never go away even when the caps eventually shed off and the tooth comes in. It is best when you see the bumps forming to have the vet or equine dentist check and pull caps then to prevent any futuren problems

I have all my horses checked by an equine dentist every year- just to ward off any possible problems that may occur and 'nip them in the bud'. So do my neighbors and many of the farms here (we fly the dentist in from another state)

I would just keep an eye on her teeth- and hopefully having one pulled on 'each end' will alleviate the problem. This is an issue in Minis- the horses downsized and the teeth did not. The more refined they get, with tinier muzzles, the less room there is for them to all fit in. In addition to the problem listed above.

See what your dentist recommends after the pulling in regards to annual care- you might find just an occasional floating will be fine then.

Latest posts

Back