Teeth question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymiracles

Reaction score
My 2yr old mare has always had an off and on snotty nose. She is up to date on all shots and his healthy, vet finds nothing wrong with her and its not ALL the time. My question is would her teeth be interfering with her sinus area and causeing an issue. My vet has looked at her teeth and said they look fine but I just wonder....

Secoond question is two of my guys (the 2 younger ones) tend to get gooey eyes, again its not all the time and they are all up to date on all shots and act healthy. I have tried sawdust bedding and straw and it doesnt seem to matter much. They tend to do better if outside more which is why I thought about the bedding, they have to come in at night I dont trust the coyotes around here.

I guess another question would be...on another subject, I am having to move to detroit area, I have leased 15 acreas, problem is its on the back side of an 80 acrea parcel, there are not really a lot of buildings around or activity so I worry about predetors with my guys. I can put something up to lock them up at night but what about dusk and dawn etc.... anyone have any ideas?

I cant imagine anything like that happening to my guys if I can/could have prevented it.

Thanks, sorry it was so long!

resizebaby.jpg

YES...... deffinately your minis teeth can be the cause of a snotty nose, especially if its just in one nostril. The teeth can deffinately effect the sinus cavity and cause allot of problems! I would deffinately have it looked at by someone that really knows teeth & minis!

I second the idea that teeth can cause eye/sinus issues. I would make sure the person doing/looking at the mini's teeth is well versed in minis and equine dentistry, but I will also add that the teeth may be fine. It is not unheard of to have regular tooth growth causing sinus sensativity. I have found it most common in the 2.5-3.5 year olds, esp. those with lots of facial white and blue eyes (lots of reflection causes irratation to begin with).

Thanks for the replys. I have had two diff. vets look at her and both say she is ok. Neither is well versed in mini's, we dont have any that I have found in southwest MI. She is solid brown, not really black or bay and no facial white at all or blue eyes so that is not the cause. I will have to look more into the teeth. Thank you

Latest posts

Back