Team driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
As everyone knows we just got a driving team (pics will come later:))

We really like it. It is amazing how they work together and pull like a power house. I would love to read more about it. Most books olny have a chapter devoted to team driving. Can anyone reccomend a book that covers more info??

I'm afraid that you're going to find books specifically about team driving very scarce. You can pick up bits and pieces from several general driving books. "The Art of Driving" by Max Pape has more information than any other that I have seen. Max was a student of Beno von Achenbach and the book goes into great detail about "coachman" style of driving b ut it is mostly 4 and 6.

Your best bet is to find someone knowledgable in your area and bug them. Where are you located? There may be an ADS club nearby that can point you to someone.

Good luck.
default_smile.png

Oh I do bug the people around me. They are starting to change thier number
default_wub.png

Little things I need tuning in on like-

-How to stop the one from rubbing

-How to stop them from wanting to have a party in an open field. They think it is whaaa whoo time. They think they are in the Indy 500. But anywhere else they are fine

-I have been experimenting with different bits. I like to get opinions.

Just stuff like that to help make life easier. But team driving is a blast. We love it.Our horses are so patient!!!

I'm so glad you started this thread. I'm not the most experienced with even driving single, and am going to Iowa this coming weekend to pick up a mare that is a perfect match for my 35.5" driving gelding, so I've got the "pairs bug" too. Have a little buckboard wagon that my husband and I re-built and restored last winter, still need to locate the set of pairs harness I'll eventually buy (am thinking about the one from Rons Harness, I like the price for a starter one he has on his website but would really prefer betathane if I could find it), and will, like you, need to find some sort of help in learning to handle a pair (and even how to harness them).

They are a pair of B&W 35 and 36 in geldings. We even have our mare drive as a team. It has only been a few times and she does great. I have to get pics. But team driving is nice. We just bought a 2 seater buggy. we got our harness from the guy we got the horses from. Just a warning it is addictive!!!

OK I am now officailly jealous. Our goal next spring is a team of 4!!!!

We bought the cart off the guy we got the horses from. But we recently bought a cart from bob's buggys. We got the 2 seater utility cart. I cant wait to get it!!

Cool, i'm geting a Toung to put on my EE, What kind of harness do you have? i'm still deciding on what i want to get.

We like the collar and hames set up. Check my web site you will see thier pics on the home page

www.njminihorse.com

I agree with Al, books are going to be a little scarce unless you start looking for draft-driving resources. Max Pape is a good one and I found the pair chapters in Heike Bean's "Carriage Driving: A Logical Approach Through Dressage" to be very clear and easy to understand.

zoey829 said:
-How to stop the one from rubbing-How to stop them from wanting to have a party in an open field. They think it is whaaa whoo time. They think they are in the Indy 500. But anywhere else they are fine

-I have been experimenting with different bits. I like to get opinions.
Really though, the questions you've listed above are the kind of basic thing that good books on driving a single horse would teach you. For the rubbing, start by getting after him every time he starts to do it so he learns not to start in the first place. If he's determined, tie a string from the outside of his harness saddle to the cheekpiece of his bridle so he can't reach over to rub on his buddy. It should be only tight enough to prevent actual rubbing, not so tight it interfers with bending and turning. If that brings him up short and you get after him every single time he'll soon figure out that rubbing is not an option and you can take the string off again.

A lot of horses see open space and get very excited. The answer is the same for a riding horse, single driving horse or team. WALK THEM. If they start jigging or trying to break, start circling and doing figure eights and other boring work until they settle down then try going straight across the field again. If they immediately break gait, back to the figures you go! It won't take them long to realize that trying to go fast only gets them a lot of hard boring work at a walk but when they behave they get to go across the field towards the next big adventure. Practice stopping and standing too until they'll do it patiently. If they're fidgety you'll have to keep it short at first so the minute they give you perfect stillness for even a second, let them walk forward. You're going to gradually draw out that time until they'll stand quietly for as long as you ask (meaning twenty minutes or an hour- not three minutes!
default_wink.png
) The only caveat to the "don't let them move forward until they quiet down" is that if they're getting dangerously explosive, like thinking about going up, for gosh sakes don't try and bottle them up!
default_new_shocked.gif
Safety comes first and they aren't going to learn anyway once their minds have disengaged like that. Instead push them directly forward into a hard working trot and make them do figures until they're thinking again and well past ready to stop, then ask them to whoa. This time they ought to be grateful for the opportunity and you can calmly reward them for standing quietly and let them walk forward again on your terms. Again, you don't usually have to do this more than a couple of times before they learn. Eventually when they're standing and walking quietly in the field you'll try a trot again and they'll probably forget all their lessons the moment you do.
default_rolleyes.gif
Just wrestle them back to a walk and return to figures the minute they get too forward and they'll be far quicker this time to behave. Horses aren't dumb!
default_laugh.png
It shouldn't take long after that for them to be walking and trotting calmly anywhere you choose.

As for bits, well, you'll get as many different opinions on that as there are sources. You bit each horse individually so whatever works best for that horse is what they should be wearing whether they are driving singingly or in a team. Setting the REINS for a pair gets complicated, but the bitting is just like a single horse!
default_biggrin.png
The books I mentioned above both cover the rein arrangements quite thoroughly.

I've got the pair bug too so I envy all of you who already have one. Someday! Someday, I will find a match for my little Kody.
default_wub.png

Leia

They are soooo, cute! Its a toss up for me between the Pleasure Harness, with a collor, or a Sport harness. IDK wich way to turn with those, i want both!

Just bought a single leather harness, from NeverEnding Ranch, Great Price.

I do believe she ships in the U.S.
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow! We have two black mini's, *almost* matched, which we have been thinking about trying to drive team with. We bought them not yet broken to drive, so we've been doing our ground driving with the one, after a bit of a disaster when a friend tried to help us start the other.

I really love the way the draft-style harness looks on the mini's -- our guys look a bit like miniature Friesian's and if I can ever get them both going, I think it will be a blast!

Thanks for providing me with some serious inspiration here!!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back