Teaching to Ground Tie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey3

Reaction score
How do you teach a horse to ground tie?

I don't consider myself an expert on this, one of my minis does it pretty well on his own. I would start by having a nylon halter and a short lead on the mini and have him in an area where he can't run away (too far anyway) and won't get too distracted--a round pen or stall. I just have him stand still, give a little tug on the lead rope, say "stand", and let the lead rope fall to the ground. If they start to move around or try to walk away repeat- pull lead rope and say "stand." Once you can do it in a stall, try a round pen, then an open field. Also try putting a bucket of grain or treats near by and see if your horse can still remain still.

Horses learn best by reward so that they understand what they are doing is what you want. I prefer to put them in a circle (just drawn in the dirt or whatever) to start. It's only a visual aid and maybe more for you than them (I'm not sure). I say whoa (that's assuming you have already accomplished this whoa step). Take a step back and perhaps a step to each side then, if they don't move, come back. Tell them "good (boy)" and repeat. If they stay each time after a couple or three times then step further back and to each side. I never drop the rope at this point but rather using a longer one I let it touch the ground between us like I have dropped it yet I still have control if they try to leave.

If they move reposition them and start over. After they have done this several times (the length you can work depends on the age of the horse and their maturity---I usually do this 6 to 9 trials but always end on a "good one"), then give them a treat and something they enjoy like grooming or just let them rest. You will work stepping back and to the side until you can walk completely around them without them moving. Then work on dropping the rope completely but you may have to go back to the first step it will depend on whether your horse is understanding what you want. I use my voice,my body position, and my hand to keep their attention and let them know what I expect. When you get to an obstacle class you'll want to eventually eliminate the voice or at least keep it very low but the hand signal to stay works well for me. While training, I may walk around the horses repeating "whoa, (horse's name) whoa". This reinforces the whoa command and also keeps their attention on you.

After you have them used to following your command and giving you their attention, that is when you can introduce objects that will distract them such as umbrellas, buckets, and finally hay. A food distraction is the hardest for the horse since in their mind "food should always be eaten!".

Most important keep it fun. Because if you are enjoying it chances are your horse will too. I'm not a trainer but I did train my mare for obstacle and she obtained HOF by the age of three.

I have never understood the tendency with miniature horses to tug on the lead when telling them to ground-tie. You don't see ranch horse folk doing that, and their horses will stand all day! It's unnecessary, distracting, and the horse has got to be going "What the heck was that for?"
default_wacko.png
They're supposed to give to pressure on the lead after all, and you don't want them to put their heads down when they ground-tie. I taught both of mine to do it off of hand signals and a vocal command just as I would an obedience dog and even my hyperactive three year old gelding will park his feet and STAND without any assistance until told otherwise.

Start by asking the horse to step into a balanced, square position that is comfortable for them. This helps set the idea that once their feet are set, they are not to move until told to. Begin by moving to stand facing the horse's shoulder on either side as you would during a showmanship class and reward the horse for staying in one place as you step to the side. Advance to switching sides as in the quartering system and teach the horse not to move while you hold that formal body language. Take frequent breaks to do something else if they get antsy as a frustrated horse can't concentrate and you want to set them up to succeed.

Start playing with it a little by stepping back away from them, stepping backwards to the end of the lead directy in front of the horse, walking slowly towards their hind end and then back towards the head, and reward them each time they stand there without moving while you do those things. Have a formal release word that means it's okay for them to move (mine is, creatively enough, a cheerful "Okay!"
default_laugh.png
) and give that word at the end of each small stretch of ground-tying before the horse can break and move on his own. You don't want him to think "Good boy" means he can move! If he wiggles before you release him, say "No" and return the horse firmly to his original position to start over. You may need to reduce the time you are asking for in order to end on a good note. I hold the leadline during this initial training but keep it loose- it's merely there so I can correct the horse if he starts to move off or put his head down.

Once the horse has mastered those steps, I start slowly and quietly resting the end of the leadline on the ground without making a big deal of it and repeat the steps I've already done. Usually you'll have to correct the horse a couple of times as they'll think they're done and try to wander off when they feel the leadline dangling. About this same time I start ground-tying in different public places but continue to hold the leadline there as the distractions will cause the horse to lose a step or two in his training. Progress is usually rapid after this and it's just a matter of drawing out how long you ask them to stand there and how many distractions they have to ignore while doing so. I didn't consider my older gelding done until I could put him on a Whoa, Stand and literally skip around him sprinkling grain and singing a Broadway tune! (Yes, I really did that. LOL.)

This sort of training is really helpful for halter, driving and performance horses as they can all benefit from learning to ignore distractions and focus on their handler. I recently used the colt to drag some big tree limbs out of his paddock and made him stand in one place with the reins through his backstrap while I unhitched the tree branch from the singletree, dragged it past him (this branch was about three times as long as the horse and very noisy to move) then threw it into the burn pile that was higher than my head with my back turned to him and by God he stood there. He moved a little the first time after I turned away so I reset him and did it over again and after that he stood like a rock and waited for me to pick up the reins again. This is a tempermental Single Pleasure-bred three year old! But he's been taught that standing is a challenging game that brings praise and rewards so he likes to do it.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all so much! You all have been very helpful!

Casey

We did our first obstacle class a few weeks ago and our STAND definitely needs practice. Granted, he didn't walk away but as I walked around him he did a perfect pivot on the forehand and followed me with his head- the whole way around!
default_new_rofl.gif

Well then you do not need to teach him how to pivot! LOL!

That's a good first start!

A horse that truly has been trained what "whoa" means will stand without someone holding the lead. Too many horses that do not really know what whoa means.

I think the reason many tug the lead is because in halter obstacle the horse is not really being tied to anything. This is a signal to the horse but again a horse that truly knows whoa doesn't need all the extra stuff.

I have never understood the tendency with miniature horses to tug on the lead when telling them to ground-tie. You don't see ranch horse folk doing that, and their horses will stand all day! It's unnecessary, distracting, and the horse has got to be going "What the heck was that for?"
default_wacko.png
They're supposed to give to pressure on the lead after all, and you don't want them to put their heads down when they ground-tie. I taught both of mine to do it off of hand signals and a vocal command just as I would an obedience dog and even my hyperactive three year old gelding will park his feet and STAND without any assistance until told otherwise.

Start by asking the horse to step into a balanced, square position that is comfortable for them. This helps set the idea that once their feet are set, they are not to move until told to. Begin by moving to stand facing the horse's shoulder on either side as you would during a showmanship class and reward the horse for staying in one place as you step to the side. Advance to switching sides as in the quartering system and teach the horse not to move while you hold that formal body language. Take frequent breaks to do something else if they get antsy as a frustrated horse can't concentrate and you want to set them up to succeed.

Start playing with it a little by stepping back away from them, stepping backwards to the end of the lead directy in front of the horse, walking slowly towards their hind end and then back towards the head, and reward them each time they stand there without moving while you do those things. Have a formal release word that means it's okay for them to move (mine is, creatively enough, a cheerful "Okay!"
default_laugh.png
) and give that word at the end of each small stretch of ground-tying before the horse can break and move on his own. You don't want him to think "Good boy" means he can move! If he wiggles before you release him, say "No" and return the horse firmly to his original position to start over. You may need to reduce the time you are asking for in order to end on a good note. I hold the leadline during this initial training but keep it loose- it's merely there so I can correct the horse if he starts to move off or put his head down.

Once the horse has mastered those steps, I start slowly and quietly resting the end of the leadline on the ground without making a big deal of it and repeat the steps I've already done. Usually you'll have to correct the horse a couple of times as they'll think they're done and try to wander off when they feel the leadline dangling. About this same time I start ground-tying in different public places but continue to hold the leadline there as the distractions will cause the horse to lose a step or two in his training. Progress is usually rapid after this and it's just a matter of drawing out how long you ask them to stand there and how many distractions they have to ignore while doing so. I didn't consider my older gelding done until I could put him on a Whoa, Stand and literally skip around him sprinkling grain and singing a Broadway tune! (Yes, I really did that. LOL.)

This sort of training is really helpful for halter, driving and performance horses as they can all benefit from learning to ignore distractions and focus on their handler. I recently used the colt to drag some big tree limbs out of his paddock and made him stand in one place with the reins through his backstrap while I unhitched the tree branch from the singletree, dragged it past him (this branch was about three times as long as the horse and very noisy to move) then threw it into the burn pile that was higher than my head with my back turned to him and by God he stood there. He moved a little the first time after I turned away so I reset him and did it over again and after that he stood like a rock and waited for me to pick up the reins again. This is a tempermental Single Pleasure-bred three year old! But he's been taught that standing is a challenging game that brings praise and rewards so he likes to do it.

Leia
This is a great response, as a trail ride judge I would mark someone down for tugging on the lead, as that is used for correction only.

With the tugging on the lead quite honestly I think its a automatic response, at least for me. I'll try to stop doing that this year. It probably doesn't look very good.

With mine they know if the stand still thats their reward. If they are moving around and just don't want to stand still I will move their feet. I honestly can't stand it when a horse just will not stand still. I've had comments before at shows with people saying how well my horse just stands there, well thats what he suppose to do. This helps a lot when it comes to showmanship.

We did our first obstacle class a few weeks ago and our STAND definitely needs practice. Granted, he didn't walk away but as I walked around him he did a perfect pivot on the forehand and followed me with his head- the whole way around!
default_new_rofl.gif

Just a thought. Make sure you're not "accidentally" cueing him to move his haunches. I have a Shetland that I've been working with. He has never had any "formal" obstacle training but all I have to do is ask him to stand and then lean toward his rear (don't even have to step) and he moves his back feet over. For him it's a natural reaction so maybe your boy is picking some move up from you that he thinks says "move the rear". Be sure to give him space; say whoa when he moves and reposition him and praise him when he stands.

I see what you all are saying about tugging on the lead. Typicly thats what one does to correct them. I tug on the lead if they move when they are not told to, so tugging on the lead to tell them to stand still would be contratictory. I will use Whoa and a hand signal.

Casey

Just a thought. Make sure you're not "accidentally" cueing him to move his haunches. I have a Shetland that I've been working with. He has never had any "formal" obstacle training but all I have to do is ask him to stand and then lean toward his rear (don't even have to step) and he moves his back feet over. For him it's a natural reaction so maybe your boy is picking some move up from you that he thinks says "move the rear". Be sure to give him space; say whoa when he moves and reposition him and praise him when he stands.
No, I wasn't anywhere near his rear or leaning or anything, just trying to walk around him. I haven't had him long, but I'd bet he was taught to not take his eyes off his handler(he's show-halter trained) and by gum, he wasn't going to!
default_new_rofl.gif

No, I wasn't anywhere near his rear or leaning or anything, just trying to walk around him. I haven't had him long, but I'd bet he was taught to not take his eyes off his handler(he's show-halter trained) and by gum, he wasn't going to!
default_new_rofl.gif
I've experience the same thing because my horses follow me when I'm working them in the round pen or they know to keep 2 eyes on me. I had one almost follow me when I was walking around him but I just took it real slow and just kept saying stand and he was real good and stood there but he kept trying to watch me. It was his first time in obstacle so he did really good.

It's not a bad thing it just one of those you don't think about. Just needs practice.

Riverrose28 said:
as a trail ride judge I would mark someone down for tugging on the lead, as that is used for correction only.
Zoey3 said:
I see what you all are saying about tugging on the lead. Typicly thats what one does to correct them. I tug on the lead if they move when they are not told to, so tugging on the lead to tell them to stand still would be contratictory.
Exactly. At best it's an illogical, contradictory signal from the equine perspective and at worst you're lightly punishing a horse who hasn't done anything wrong. Of course they learn to accept this like all the crazy things we do
default_wink.png
but why not use a signal that makes sense to the horse and doesn't involve unnecessary negative pressure?

I think in all honesty this probably started as monkey see, monkey do. One person did it, everyone watching thought that must be how it's done, and BOOM! Everyone is tugging on the lead.

Just my opinion.

Leia (who also came from a big horse trail class background)

What a timely post! I am going to try obstacle for the first time this year....

I've always wanted to try but worry about forgetting the pattern! My brain doesn't work like it use to
default_smile.png

Now, I don't care if I forget..

I've been doing obstacle since 2004 and I still forget at times. When I was showing in it as a youth I was so nervous and kept looking back and fourth at the patterns, and I screwed up bad one year at Nationals in a youth class because I went around the wrong way with the cones, my horse had a great run and probably would have placed if I didn't mess up, and he was just a yearling.

Obstacle is a lot of fun, its like a puzzle in your head, the more you do it the better you'll be. You just got to do it!

Back