Teaching filly to lead

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsj

Reaction score
Hi

With no mummy, I was wondering about how to teach my filly to lead - I suppose the regular way just using dad as an example?

Any other words of wisdom/advice greatly appreciated!

Do you have any other foals for her to follow, and if not his is what I would do. I would try to build up her trust, sit with her in her paddock or stall, rub and scratch her, brush her. then I would put her in the stall if you have a helper it would be nice, but sometimes you don't, get a halter on her, let her wear it for 15 or 20 minutes twice a day with supervision, then after a couple of days attach a lead line, let her wear that, supervised for a couple of days. Do not try to pull her it may injure her neck, try putting a long line around her rear end and through the halter putting pressure in the rear, that teaches her to use it. If you have a helper that is a good thing, they can push on the rear while you try to lead, sometimes they will act like a fish caught on the end of a fish line and hurt themsleves flipping over or whatever, you want to keep everything calm if possable. You don't want them to hurt themselves or be afraid of the halter or leading so trust is important. Go slow, mini's learn very fast. After they learn to give to the pressure of the halter you are ready to tie, if you have a buddy that already ties that is a plus. but if not stay with the foal anyway, tie them for a few minutes, do something pleasant, like brushing, scratching, then turn them lose, gradually increase the time tied, with the pleasant stuff but also alone, by the time they are acclimated to being tied up for one hour they usually are halter trained. Good luck, I'm sure other will help with advice.

I never use the mother or any other horse as an example; I don't have a helper, so there is no one to handle the mare anyway. I just catch the foal and lead it on its own. I'll put the halter on one day--not usually much of a problem if the foal is friendly and used to being handled--leave it on a few minutes & then take it off. Next day I'll put the halter on, move the baby around a little bit putting some pressure on the rope but mostly guiding the foal by pushing it along. Next day after than I'll "lead" it a little way. I use a rump rope once in awhile if the foal is particularly stubborn about moving forward but in most cases I don't bother with it. I walk beside the foal with the rope in my left hand and my right hand on the foal's shoulder on the side opposite me. This puts me into position to put my right hand on the foal's rump to push him forward if he won't walk, or to keep him from flying backwards, and it allows me to control his sideways movement, so I can prevent him from flinging himself sideways. I don't want the foal flipping himself or flinging himself sideways and throwing himself down on his side. Once the baby has some idea about leading, in this position I can often just my hand to give a sort of forward push on the neck or side to get the foal to move forward if he hesitates. It doesn't take too many lessons to have the foal leading nicely.

Thanks both, she has worn a halter a few times so will work on the leadrope next. Really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back