teaching a mini to side pass

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try to explain in type but its very hard to explain this way
default_smile.png

Its best for the first few times to face the horse to a wall. If you cant use a wall use a pole on the ground. Using both is even better if you can.

Face the horse tword the wall. (this way they cant move forward) Put your hand on the lower part of the neck and apply pressure to the right. At the same time use your left hand to put pressure under the halter to the right. This should cause them to cross over. Use a vocal use such as "cross" Be sure whatever cue you use you are consistent. Gradually as the horse gets better you should be able to stop putting pressure on the neck and just put pressure on the halter. Always give praise and keep sessions not overly long.

Good luck!

Kay

I do as Kay says, but I also will use pressure on the rear end to get them started, and a voice command (I use "side"). I do think it helps if you teach turn on the forehand and turn on the haunches first, so they understand moving away from pressure. Be sure to work them in both directions!

I begin using a little bat or whatever as a cue stick and then just using my index fingers, teach to move the hindquarters away from pressure, first tapping the air and using body language while looking strong at the hindquarter, then lightly tapping the hip until they take a step. Then rub it to reward and change the body language by standing and telling them how good they did. It doesn't take long if they are used to any ground lessons at all. Next wait until they cross over before releasing pressure and rubbing. Then do the opposite side. Then teach using the same method for the forequarters pressuring the shoulder instead of the hip, and expecting them to cross over the front feet, both sides. This is also wonderful exercise for their chest and hiney. They pick it up real quick until just your finger signaling cues, I also kiss because it is easy and handy and my guys know kissing means some sort of movement, my body language or fingers signals them what to move.

Then the easy part is to stand them in front of a wall, fence, whatever and point to the shoulder then the hip, and back and forth with your finger and they move beautifully to the side. Always start with one step, then two and so on. reward the slightest try in the right direction. I have taught it so many times now that I can teach the whole process in one day. I hope I wasn't too confusing. Becky

default_wacko.png
Practice makes perfect... got to the point with my pintos where i could just say over...over...and give a hand signal to them and it was great ... alot of fun....

My mini learnt turn on the haunches when i was trying (and failing) to teach him to side pass..

I started by doing the above, but tapping his shoulder very lightly with a riding crop to ask him to move away from the 'tickling' what i found was the front end would move.. but the back end would just turn on the spot..

After that i taught him to move away from the sight of the whip.. so i'd raise it to his eye level, and ask for the commard (which was over by then) and stepped into him (facing the same way), without touching him he'd move away.

I then ditched the whip and taught him to move away when i lifted the rope up to his eye level, gave the commard and stepped over, and he'd move his front legs round.

Thats how i taught tigga... we still have to work on side pass... will try as mentioned above..

. so i'd raise it to his eye level, and ask for the commard (which was over by then) and stepped into him (facing the same way), without touching him he'd move away.I then ditched the whip and taught him to move away when i lifted the rope up to his eye level, gave the commard and stepped over, and he'd move his front legs round.
This is also how we do it: hand at eye level- pivot. Hand lower- sidepass. They DO catch on and understand!

Lucy

haha im actually teaching Two Sox the same thing right now, he caught on with in 10 min.

Two Sox moves of the slightest pressure so all i did was ligh him up so 2 front feet was on one side and the back feet on the other (duh lol) and just turned and faced his side, and swung the lead a little and said 'side' and he would move his back end, then i would move his front end with the lead and we kept doing that, and once he got it he would do it all at once.

good luck! =]

Latest posts

Back