Tampa Trials ADT

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy2m

Reaction score
What a week end! Its so fun to see everyone I have made friends with (over this first year for me). We arrived about 2:30 in the afternoon, unloaded, got Abby settled in and went off to get my packet and see if they had the Darby course set up. It was, and I walked it until my legs hurt. I saw Bob Giles and we set up a lesson for later in the day. John (he and his wife Erika put on these shows) was in the ring putting the final balls on the course he said I could bring Abby up and hand walk her over the bridge. I couldn't get back to the barn fast enough to get her. She walked over it no problem, I was so relieved but I know that what they do in hand is not always what they do harnessed up.

My goal this week end is to win my dressage. I have worked so hard on that it would make the week end.

I had my lesson with Bob, we worked on school figures, impulsion (of course), and 1 handed driving.

She did well I felt we were as ready as we were ever going to be.

We were the second to go in the Darby. It started out very well and then we came to the bridge, she jumped onto it and jumped off it! It got quite a big laugh from the crowd, but at least she went over it. As the weekend went on and we did it so many times she finally went over it pretty smooth. We didnt win it I'm not even sure what place we came in. Friday night came to a very late end, got home about 11.

We had dressage at 9:07 and it was cold! It was in the low 40's, Abby was so cold she was shivering when I was harnessing her. I felt so bad for her. Once we got moving she warmed up. I started my test, I had a pretty good bend and flex, we had a nice halt, and headed to M, it was the test to see if she would go into the corner and stay on the rail at C end. She did it ! We had some loss of impulsion, my circles could have been better, and of course my walk need to be better when I asked for her to move more forward she broke but all in all I felt we had a pretty good test. Off we went to cones. I always have the slowest time. I worked on trying to keep her forward and not to slow down coming into them. I thought we did O.K. we did knock down 1 ball. Cones has always been my worse event. It was a pretty tight and wiggly course, very few straight lines. She went over the bridge again several times she was getting more comfortable with it. I didnt need to cool her out, she was so cold already! I put her away and went to help out at the cones course.

Sat. night ended up at the competitors dinner and I was home by 9.

Sunday I was first to go in Hazards at 8:45, it was much warmer I needed to be at safety check at 8:30 we were there and ready to go. We did O.K. I try to turn her too tight and we loose momentum.

Finally the results of our hard work..........

Dressage FIRST PLACE!

Cones Second Place

Hazards Third Place

Over all Second Place and GRAND CHAMPION for the series!

I was blown away. I got a 59.27 in Dressage, but we got 2 8s one on my transition to the trot and keeping the trot on the long side, and in collective remarks the driver (me) got an 8! My goal to win Dressage came this weekend.

This was the jumping into the bridge in the darby.............

decadt005.jpg

Cones course...

decadt011.jpg

decadt003.jpg

Congratulations!!!! What a great Trial for you. That picture of her jumping onto the bridge is too funny
default_laugh.png
That is something my daffy girl would do too. You should be very proud of yourself and your Abby!

Very cool. You guys look great. Congratulations on your placings. The 40 degrees may be cold for you but it is hard to feel the chill ( it is hovering around ZERO here this morning!)

Great photos thanks for the update on your event!

Big Congrats on your wins!!!!!! What wonderful scores u got, all that hard work is paying off. I really wanted to go but had several things happening here and could not. I just love your little flying girl
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations!
default_aktion033.gif
It is wonderful that all of your hard work paid off. She looks great in the pics, and that bridge one is priceless!
default_laugh.png

Congratulations, although i could never see myself doing CDE's...those are some pretty neat photos
default_smile.png

default_aktion033.gif
Wow! Kathy congratulations. I keep hoping that we can get together. I think my little guy Sandy would like that kind of stuff a lot better than driving round and round the house or ring. Have you done any of the trail runs with the Central Florida Buggy Club? I bet your horse would love it. I'm trying to get my nerve up to join them on a drive/ride with Sandy or our shetland.

Ruth

Have you done any of the trail runs with the Central Florida Buggy Club? I bet your horse would love it. I'm trying to get my nerve up to join them on a drive/ride with Sandy or our shetland.
Ruth
I haven't yet but would really like to. I did take her to Serenova Park off 52. There is some sugar sand in spots and she had a hard time with it not to mention I forgot my map and haven't been there in over a year and we kinda got lost
default_wacko.png
. Fortunately my son was with me and we made it back just a few hours later than what we planned.

Kathy

Awesome!! That sounds like such a blast to do, so challenging...I keep saying, one of these days...LOL

OMG you both did awesome!!! All your hard work paid off! WAY TO GO!
default_aktion033.gif

Wheee! Look at her jump!
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png

Oh, I really loved reading about your weekend/show!

I would love to do stuff like this! I bet there is nothing like this near me.
default_sad.png
I really envy you guys that have stuff like this within a reasonable driving/hauling distance; it looks like much fun.

Annabelle, if you're in KY there's stuff around! The Gayla Bluegrass CDE hasn't allowed minis the last few years for some reason but may again, and many KYer's attend the Indiana CDE each year along with a few Play Days I hear about.
default_smile.png

Leia

Congratulations.
default_aktion033.gif

CDE's, ADT's etc are new for me and many of my friends and local club members. After a few years in the breed show ring, these options have become alot more interesting. Northern Ohio is having a Green as Grass CDE next July. Check info for Carriages in the Park http://carriagesinthepark.com/

The AMHR/ASPC pair on the home page is Cathy Franks from Foxlane Farms in Ohio.

I am hoping to introduce cones, scurry etc to our local driving mini club at our recreational drives. There's a whole other world out there for driving that many are not aware of. I learned alot last year between the Pleasure show at Austin Carriage Park, Western Reserve Carriage Association events and the National Drive.

What kind of cart are you driving? A Pacific smart cart?

What kind of cart are you driving? A Pacific smart cart?
Yes I am. I love it. I had several people come up and look at it again. The TD Marc Johnson wanted to know about it he has several new minis for lessons/training and needs a cart. Sterling Graburn checked it out too, he and Wendy Yang drive Pacifics. Every show I've been to I've had at least 2 people ask about it.

Kathy

Kathy, do you KNOW how jealous I am that you can say things like "Sterling Graburn and Wendy Ying came by and did blah blah blah with me?!" Good lord, you are so darn lucky!! *LOL* Being out at the other end of the country we've got lots of mini-friendly events and some good drivers to learn from but Big Name Driving Coaches are a little thin on the ground. I would kill for opportunities like that at this point.
default_drool5.gif

Leia

Kathy, do you KNOW how jealous I am that you can say things like "Sterling Graburn and Wendy Ying came by and did blah blah blah with me?!" Leia
Well Leia, At the risk of really getting you jealous.........I was standing watching at the warm up area and John (who runs these ADTs) was on the back of someones carriage, asked me to step on, he had to step off (for what I found out was a potty break) I stepped on and rode around the warm up area chatting away to Wendy Yang thats how I met her, she was driving Duke and Dante tandem for the darby. She is very nice. She congratulated me when I was walking Abby to the trailer with my ribbons. Guess you need to come and visit me in the winter and escape the cold! Kathy

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess you need to come and visit me in the winter and escape the cold! Kathy
I am SO THERE!!! It was 11 degrees at my house last night and the windchill today is supposed to get below zero. Below zero!
default_new_shocked.gif
The water troughs were refreezing before I finished breaking them out and my damp gloves were sticking to every metal surface like velcro. Never had that before.
default_unsure.png

Leia

Leia, Today it was about 78, but we have a cool front coming through Monday/Tuesday it will be in the low 60s during the day and the 40s at night by the week end back into the 70s. I do want to warn you, people who have lived up north and moved down here say that when it is in the 40s here it feels much colder because it is such a damp cold. I have nothing to compare it to except my year at Meredith Manor. I was born in the Florida heat. My guest room is being used by my oldest AGAIN, but I do have a sleeper sofa! Stay warm, Kathy

"Damp cold?" Sweetie, I live in Washington State! The only place that beats us for damp chill is England.
default_laugh.png

Leia

Latest posts

Back