Talking of horses names....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats your's and how did you come up with it???

Well my colt flyte is named after a chocolate bar!!! :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

I'm not sure how unusual it is, but my favorite horse name that I picked out (I picked out what follows the pre-fix) is Little Kings BT Bacardi Gold. I picked Bacardi Gold because it just suited him. He's such a golden palomino and I don't mind some bacardi and diet coke every now and then
default_smile.png
His barn name is "Bacardi", or "Smarty Bacardi".

The most unusual would belong to my 2 year old gelding NHF Joker's Cloud Jumper I call him Roscoe and he's a sweet lil guy.

I have one name that I really liked that we picked out as a family, it's a stud colt bred by the late Sue Price and it was her final breeding from her program we named him Serene Acres Priceless Legacy SBP after Sue and her daughter.

ive heard some funny names the funneist ive heard was from a guy my husband knows he has a tiny miniature shetland and i asked him, "what do you call her" and he said BRIGET!, .......... BRIDGET the MIDGET LOL ...................another one was a trotting horse called PONY EXPRESS! , there was one when i was a kid who i loved,called BODECIA , SHE WAS DYING OF OLD AGE AND SHE WAS MY FIRST SAD EXPERIENCE OF A HORSE DYING,.................. :no:

I think the weirdest name of my horses would be my Quarter mare. Her name is Sheba Tontigo Lass. We call her Sheba. I didn't name her as we bought her when she was about 8 (she's now 19). Her sire's name is The Tontigo Run and her dam's name is Miss Arbuckles Joy. I think her granddam's name is funny too..it's Fan Ran Holly.

Weirdest name? My QH gelding, Doc Bar, Boston Mac bred and they named him Amadeus Barbarosa. Doesnt sound bad unless your at a breed show with all these nicely bred/named horses LOL In an odd sorta way, it fit him
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Hard to say/hear name over the loud speaker? My friends Arab , Shades of Rafiq , sounds like Shades of his feet LOL my qh Pier Cutter Lady , sounds like Pure Colored Lady wouldnt be all that bad if she wasnt black at the time :eek: Least now she's grayed out

Well I think I can top the list here, a few years ago I purchased a colt names Jordans Hybrid Broccoli.

I have old mini mare named Mini Mites Termite
default_wacko.png
: NO I did not name her that, and whoever did.......I wonder what they were smoking!

Another mare I have is Rocky Styles Creeks Lady Di, UGH! And past owners did call her Di, I call her Dixie and she is much happier.

I have a half arab that is Rojos Shahzbah, no idea what the second word means
default_unsure.png
:

My favorite and weirdest name I've ever heard..........belongs to a mini that comes to our local shows. His name is O' That Frito Bandito, and it fits him well :bgrin

I don't really know if this is unusual or not, but I bought my filly as a weanling who's barn name was Sparky. (cuz she just had this "spark" to her)

Well, I agreed with that "spark", but Sparky didn't seem fitting to me...so she became Sparkle.

Then, we needed something a little more "fancy" so she became Sparkle Tangerine (she was thought to be a sorrel pinto, but now the majority seems to think silver bay). Still, the Tangerine fit due to her red color.

However, now she hardly ever gets called Sparkle...it's usually either "Miss Fancy Pants", "Trouble" or "Jealous". :bgrin

I also had a pintabian years ago who wasn't registered, but they called her Miss April (born in April). All I could think about was that it sounded like a playboy centerfold! :hypocrite: lol So I kept racking my brain about what to call her. Whenever I'd describe her to people I'd always say, "she has really unique markings". Then it dawned on me..."Unique" was her name...nickname "Niques".

I always get a kick out of horse names.
default_yes.gif
:

I love literary, arts and musical names (so I LOVE Amadeus!), and names that not everyone will recognize.

Our horses are all named after famous jazz musicians, since Keith and I are both jazz musicians. Not that the names themselves are all that unusual, but I love having names that make people ask about.

Mingus (after bassist Charles Mingus)

Thelonius (after pianist Thelonius Monk)

Pastorius (after Weather Report bassist Jaco Pastorius)

Funny, but we have yet to name after a saxophonist (I play saxophone)...Keith at least has his guitarist with our cat, Santana)

The other rule is that the name has to be fun to say, because these are their barn names, too. The best one here is Thelonius...it's long, but it falls trippingly off the tongue!!

I'm really into shorter names for horses and names that have a meaning to me....

So I don't know what I was thinking when I named our little stallion.....well, I do but

it's a waaaay long name......

His name is: HHF (breeders farm initials) Can't Leave Home Without Him

It made me giggle as his father's name is Mountains Meadows D's "American Express".

Now his first daughter (Zena) has a very simple name: LaPaz, it means, The Peace and

that's what the minis gave me when my son left for the PeaceCorpBolivia.

He flew into LaPaz to start his 2 years and flew out of LaPaz when he was thru.

He came home days before she was born.

Her little sister's (Zuni) name is: Que Sera Sera - Kind of the way I felt when she

wasn't a little boy either.

Still working on the new filly's (Zita) name.......I laughingly said I was going to call her

'Back to the Drawing Board' but it didn't seem very nice - not her fault she's a girl LOL

I named our last foal born here Full Moon's Pet Peeve. We called her Peevie. The cutest name I ever heard at a show (I'm sorry I don't remember the Farm name or who he was owned by) was So And So's Tiny Hiney. He was winning lots of classes that day and I just had to smile every time I heard Tiny Hiney over the PA system. :bgrin

Theia - is a mother of one of the Greek gods. Don't think I will do that again because she acts like one. :lol:

I named her.

Maggie,, is just old fashioned normal to me.

Dyfra- means mist or fog in Icelandic.

Dustenai - have no idea?? did not name her. Son calls her Dusty.

Freydis- means, goddess of fertility in Icelandic

We named Khornerstone's first daughter "Khiddleedivey KpM" - people say that at first they think it's one of those "unpronouncable Ay-rab" names, then when they sound it out they love it! (Of course it also shows your age a bit if you know from whence it came...
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

Well, I have a Unique Toy4Me (barn name Unique, and she certainly is).

A Rowdy Little Rich Girl (barn name Princess, and she thinks she is!).

And last, but certainly not least in the funny name department, Hangin Trees Liddle ChoCho Fleaka. We call her Cho, and she had this name when we got her. I was told Fleaka means Butterfly in Japanese.

My favorites as far as odd and unique were not mine, but are ones I remember competing against in my eventing days. #1 was definitely "Bennie the Wedge." Now how could anyone not smile at that? Some others that come to mind are Nina Fout's "Three Magic Beans," and a Thoroughbred that was registered as "Saurkraut."

[SIZE=18pt]Pretty Pizunky[/SIZE]! LOL

pizunky.jpg

One of our earliest foals
default_yes.gif
: Her dam is an Oak Forrest Pizazz daughter and her sire is a Spunky MS son! Soooooo, Piz...unky! In SPITE of her name she went on to be an AMHR Top Ten and AMHA multiple Top Ten
default_yes.gif
: Used to tickle me to hear her name called by the announcer and someone near me would turn to their friend and say "What did he say?"
default_wacko.png
:

Charlotte

Very funny names!! I just named a colt. Coulee Hills Okapie..we call him Okkie. I have a son-in-law who is south african and he says it means "little Joker".

P1010016.jpg

I think that it would be funny it someone had a white horse and named it I-Pod :lol:

I have only had one horse before and I got to choose his AMHR registered name. his world class was Sand Storm. Me and my parents thought all together about it and came up with "Golden Sirocco" Sirocco is a hot desert storm.

-vanessa

Latest posts

Back