Talked to my horse-hates her name

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markadoodle

Reaction score
Okay I dont feel comfortable saying this as much as some people judge maybe none of you will but- I had a real talk with my horse she said she hates her barn name [morey] she hates smorey, smores, oreo, and kookie. Her reg name is oreo kookie smores-she likes it but needs a barn name...

here is a pic of her- what name would fit her???

Or maybe if any one else can talk to her see what she like??

15cf47s.jpg

ajs5r8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea on how to help, but I don't think your strange for talking to your horse. Many people CAN and do, whether or not some people don't believe it. I am sure some of the gifted ones will chime in here, good luck finding her the right name.
default_smile.png

Oh, she is cute by the way!
default_wub.png

Pretty much all of our horses have one word people names- that might not be even close to their "real" name! "Field of Dreams Legally Blonde" is Tinker, "Zoom Zooom Zoom" is Audi, "Sugar Magnolia" is Mollie.... etc.

To me, she looks like a "Maggie"!

Lucy

Ok so far I have Cozy, Maggie, Gypsy and Socks-but I havent asked if she likes them yet

I feel she likes the short "A" sound........Try names with that sound in it. Maggie might be a good one. Try Abbie, Aggie, Annie, etc...

You get the idea, I'm sure.

Cool! So maybe it was the "ie" or "y" sound that helped........ When ever I've asked our horses (when we first get them) about their names it seems they prefer certain SOUNDS, not necessarily the name itself.

I noticed that all of the short "A" names I listed all ended with the "ie" sound. Curious. I love learning how our animals minds work.

My Appaloosa mare has an awful registered name - "Iza Barhopper Too" - her barn name when I got her was "Hayley". I really had the feeling I needed to change her barn name, but really didn't give it too much thought and eventually got used to calling her Hayley.

Then we had a friend who's an animal communicator out... I took her to a couple of barns to talk with a bunch of horses, and we ended up at my place. I had her talk to my appy mare since she was still new, and we'd had some feet issues while correcting her angles, etc. One of the first things she said was that she wanted a new barn name, "because Hayley is a BABY name and I'm growing up now!"

I searched my heart, mind and the web for days... nothing fit, although I did somehow feel that a "place" name might work best. At last I remembered my visit to Sedona, Arizona. My mare's coloring looks like snow on the red rocks of Sedona! ANd it's such a grounded, energy-rich place and I thought aha! Perhaps that's it!

I was still calling her Hayley though, not sure that Sedona was the right fit that SHE would like. After about 3 days I called her over to a feeder in the pasture like I always did, and she wouldn't move or even LOOK at me. She stood there watching the other horses eat! I was calling "Hayley! Hayley!" finally I said "oops.... Sedona!" and she immediately turned and came to the feeder!

I still slip, but I can literally feel her energy change if I call her Hayley instead of Sedona! Not only that - but visitors and friends notice it too!

So - go with your gut - and listen to what you "get" - we can ALL "talk" to them, and if we LISTEN, we can all hear them too!
default_yes.gif

Not weird, I do pick up some stuff from my ponies, although I am not always listening. I was at a trainer's barn a little over a year ago and she calls a pony there a certain name, when I was looking at him (to bring home) he clearly told me his name was "George" not so and so. And I still get that from him.

My first real chat with a pony was over a halter. I had gotten my pony a hot pink halter. She outgrew it and I replaced it, but it was black. She told me in no uncertain terms she wanted her pink halter back. I let it go, but she wouldn't let me put the black halter on. I finally explained she had grown and I couldn't find a pink halter to fit her. After that, she was fine with the black halter.

Sometimes I get something shouted at me and sometimes it is very soft, but usually it is during a time I am not trying to listen to them and it catches me off guard. But I do get sentences and definitely impressions.

So if anyone tunes into Tulip - I have been asking her why she has been throwing her head, but she hasn't said anything to me.

default_wub.png
I am loving how this thread is turning out....
default_wub.png

I used to have a TB that had been on the track and then was bought by a boarding stable for a lesson horse. He had a hard life at the boarding stable and never became a lesson horse. When the stable had to close because there were new coustom homes right next door and they complained there were flies from the horses I bought the horse for killer price (thats where they were going to send him). His registered name was "Randy's Pet" but changed with the registry to "Randy's Mistake". The boarding stable came up with the name "Cobble Stone". He was a 16.2 hand TB that had a classic hunter/jumper look. He was dapple gray. I got him and after a couple of days I knew he didn't like his name. So, one day I called him Randy. His reaction was "finally, someone that knows my name". Someone that had known him as Cobble Stone ended up with him and still called him Randy. I was pleased that they listened to me when it came to his name.

I think you're lucky you can communicate with your horse on that level. Not all of us can, and some wish we could.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back