Talk about color changes threw the year

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
I have always called him a silver smokey black, as he looked black when we got him but he has pink/mottled skin on his lips and privates. I was also told his sire is a proven silver smokey black based on what he has produced (Marystown Mercedes) Mercedes dam is a chestnut pinto. I thought about having him color tested but since I planned on gelding him never did (and good thing because it would have been with shelterwood) Anyways, whatever color he is he sure has gone through alot of changes so far this year, and its only August lol.

When we first got him in April

Mercedes_fuzzy.JPG

Full clipped a week later

Mercedes_Day_of_Show.JPG

A week before our second show in May

6448_1090272819592_1309643963_30243168_3812869_n.jpg

Begining of July

5495_1088493535111_1309643963_30238008_2527375_n.jpg

End of July

July_23rd-420x307.jpg

And just yesterday

trot8.JPG

trot1.JPG

You wouldn't believe its the same horse, but trust me it is! I was thinking about showing him in color at Nationals, but didn't pre enter it as who knows what color he will be by then lol.

This might be a dumb question, but are you sure he isn't just sunbleached? I know that black horses are notorious for that.

He may very well be a smoky black, but all I see there is regular sunbleaching and clipping. He's a cutie though! Love him. Where did you get the bitting rig?

Leia

I figured alot of it was sunbleaching. When we first got him the person had kept him in a stall almost 24/7, not to mention he had not been clipped yet. And as time has went on he keeps turning this funny color. It's gourgeous in person. And his mane and tail are a dark chocolate color, and then they turn this yuck color in the sun. I hate to keep him stalled as he loves being outside so much, So i guess I just get to deal with sunbleaching. Better then sunburn.

The bitting rig is from Double Diamond. Its has the most supple leather and its a joy to work with. Wanted to mention that the bitting rig comes with the bridle with noseband (not the caveson), side check (I have a different check on it now tho) snap side reins, and the back saddle/crouper. Also comes with training reins, the long flat cotton white ones, but I don't use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always dye his mane back to black if you want to show him. Not quite as easy to do his body. One thing that helps is black oil sunflower seeds. You could also put a sun shade fly sheet on him. Could you put him in a shady paddock during the sunniest part of the day and turn him out at night?

You may want to consider letting him out at night and stalling him during the daylight hours. this helps keep our black horses from sun-bleaching. jennifer
default_saludando.gif

Back