Tailers vs Trucks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capall Beag IRL

Reaction score
Hi

We are currently in the market to change our horse trailer (this was my Christmas present to upgrade to whatever i wanted).

We've spent the last week looking at different trailers and trucks and we cant decide which would suit us best and its about 50-50 on the pro's and con's of each.

Have any of you bought a trailer but sorry they didnt buy a truck or bought a truck and sorry you didnt buy a trailer.

We are going to England next week to look at more there, as we want to explore every option before we invest.

Thanks in advance

Joanne

PS we'd be travelling 4-5 minis showing season and 2 full size horses at other times and we both have truck driving licences, so thats not a problem

:saludando:

id say pullout ALL the stops and buy both, then travel in convoy lol :lol:

seriously though cappeal beag ire i would go for a lorry as you can .get changed ,sleep over, and camp out in it, as i know you will, as you travel up and down the country like a tinker lol

i just wish you a safe journey in what ever way you choose to travel as i get to see more of you ...and i might have to travel with you,
default_wink.png
:

good luck in your quest!!!!

I'm not sure I follow. You need a truck to pull a trailer. Do you mean regretful of buying a Truck & Trailer vs. a Horse Van? Horse vans are not that common here, but I'm thinking may be quite a bit more common over where you are (?).

I have two miniature horse trailers -- one bumper pull that can haul 3-4 minis and a gooseneck that can haul 7 minis. I have a Ford F150 with a "big" V8 and super cooler thingy for the transmission
default_smile.png
That truck can pull either trailer easily. The smaller bumper pull trailer can actually be pulled by a small truck or a smallish SUV as well.

Horse boxes are the norm over here, Jill- no huge trailers and I have only ever seen one goose-neck in my life- they just do not fit with the English way of driving, it seems, and, of course, we are paranoid about the mileage (per gallon/ litre) as you have to be when you are dealing with diesel prices up up to $8- $9.00 a gallon!!

I would go for a horse Box myself- if I could afford /justify having two vehicles taxed and insured that is what I would do.

I would have one with the best living accommodation I could afford- I am well past the date where I wish to go camping!!

Let me explain better:

in Ireland & Uk we call our trailers horse boxes (usually pulled by a 4x4, thats the law) and we call, what you Americans call, a truck a lorry (in my case a horse lorry).

We already own a 4x4 & a horse box (or trailer), its an Ifor Williams 505, and i cant fault it one bit only that it will be too small for all our guys this summer.

The trailers that we have looked at fit on the back of the 4x4 (we just looked a longer 1s) and the lorries that we looked at had stalls for 3 or 4 horses with room up front turned into living accomodation.

the pro's for the trailer are

1. doesnt need insurance, tax etc

2. fits on the back of our 4x4

3. has the room that we need

4. doesnt cost anything to leave it parked during the winter

pro's for the lorry

1 would be more comfortable for showing (approx 25 shows)

2 has everthing we need in it

3 we both have the licence to drive it

4 it saves the 4x4 from getting wrecked over the summer

con's for the trailer

1. doesnt provide shelter for people if its wet

2. has to be loaded with tack etc every time you need it

3. its too big when i just going hacking with my Irish Cob

4. it will probably use as much diesel as the lorry would

con's for the lorry

1. it has to be insured etc

2. will be parked up for most of the winter

3. it will have to be maintained mechanically