First time trailering? Loose or tied?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponylove

Reaction score
hello! My husband and I recently purchased a miniature horse foal who is ready to come home towards the end of July. We just bought a truck and we are looking at horse trailers to buy - of course we will need to modify as we are looking at 2 horse trailers. However our mini has never been hauled, will be 4 months old once ready and the drive home is about 3-4 hours. I’ve never trailered a horse before but my husband is experienced in driving/ trailering. Would you recommend tieing him? I am leaning towards leaving him loose but wanted the advice of all the folks on here! We also have the option of hiring a horse transport ... just exploring all our options here!

Your going to fund this is 50-50 on who ties. I tie loose but not so they can get there head down. Just comfortable. with lots of hay in a hay bag. Stop and check often. 4 months is awful young for trailering, but lots of people do it. Good luck with your new baby.

I never tie unless I'm trailering two horses that don't know each other. I'd be afraid to tie a foal. I'd let him be loose in the trailer. Just stop every half hour and check on him. I also would not put anything in the trailer he could get hung up on. Just an open space so he can balance himself.

Babies travel loose, most haven't learned to tie well enough for tying in a trailer at that age, and being young, loose will be easier for keeping balance.
I brought my third mini home at I think it was 5 months old, 6 hour trailer ride, she did just fine, and she was loose in the trailer (and if I remember correctly, I took the lead rope off for sure, and I think I may have taken the halter off as well as a precaution). [A well fitted halter is probably just fine, left on.]

I probably would not tie either, but I would make absolutely sure the baby could not get under the bars to the front of the trailer where the doors are or else I would make sure the "people" doors are locked shut. I have seen too many trailers that could have the doors popped open from the inside by a loose horse while in transit. Same with the tailgate, make sure tailgate goes all the way to the top so no chance of escape by climbing up and over.

Since foal has never been in a trailer tying him/her will only cause panicking. So I would not tie the foal. Definitely make sure that the trailer is padded. How big is the trailer?

I wouldn't tie either. I rode in the back with mine when I picked him up, and he was three. I would also wrap his legs for protection. Riding in back can be dangerous, but I made a buffer of hay bales for the two of us. It could be a comfort, and a bonding experience for you both.

30+ years of showing and hauling minis here. My vote is loose in a trailer with the divider out and be sure and buy a trailer with upper doors so the baby is totally enclosed. Believe it or not they can jump over the back door if you only get a trailer that is open in the top rear.

Latest posts

Back