Sweating

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmolly

Reaction score
I was hoping for some help on sweating my 2yr old colts tummy. I bought him a neoprene with fleece tummy sweat and he wears it 2 hours every evening after exercise. Is this enough? How long should you leave it on for at the most? should he wear it during lounging? and last of all, how long does it take to see results? At a recent show I left it on overnight (by mistake...I fell asleep
default_unsure.png
) and there did seem to be a big difference in the morning! I would also love some opinions on how sweating actually does work.
default_wacko.png

Hello...

I would say that sweating of the belly is NOT the norm, usually necks are sweated and such.

Do you have pictures of your colt you could share with us?

Generally, "bellies" are controlled by a general feed and exercise program. I know they do sell belly sweats and a very few people use them, but I would venture a guess and say it's not the norm.

Perhaps a change of your feeding program will give you better results and be a lot less work?

Just throwing stuff out there.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to post a pic of my colt but all the pictures I try to post are too big or something. Hubby says he'll try to fix this for me. I recently changed feeds from Platform to Safe Choice (another thread) as the platform caused them to lose weight but gave them big bellies. He is now all filled out again in other areas but he definately still has a 'hay' belly.

default_saludando.gif
my colt has a bot belly can this sweating thing get rid of it and what it look like and how does it work

I was hoping for some help on sweating my 2yr old colts tummy. I bought him a neoprene with fleece tummy sweat and he wears it 2 hours every evening after exercise. Is this enough? How long should you leave it on for at the most? should he wear it during lounging? and last of all, how long does it take to see results? At a recent show I left it on overnight (by mistake...I fell asleep
default_unsure.png
) and there did seem to be a big difference in the morning! I would also love some opinions on how sweating actually does work.
default_wacko.png

Hi Molly

to post pics, go to the top of the screen and click on "posting pictures info click here" then click on either "picture trail" or photobucket (I think picturetrail is easier!) That will allow you to upload BIG pics and then post them here from there!

Good luck!!

Tammy

Andrea,

While I agree with you that the Feeding & Exercise regimine normally is the biggest cure for pot or extended bellies.
default_yes.gif

I do not know of any major halter trainers that do not use some sort of fat suit (as we call them) to work the horses out in. We use them 5 days a week on all of our show horses.
default_smile.png

Sweating is a great way to tighten up loose skin on the neck and body and get the metabolism rate going in the direction you want it to go. It does have to be done in conjuction with proper exercise and feeding regimine in order for it to work properly. Additionally, each horse requires a bath after each work out to remove the built up salts etc.
default_wink.png

I will try to take a picture or two of the horses tomorrow of the horses getting ready for the morning work out and post them later in the day for folks to see.

364202442.jpg

I hope this pic works...but you see what I mean by big belly. These pics were before I changed feed so he is generally more filled out now. ( I will post more later if this works) but look at the belly! :DOH! He is lounged 4 times a week, sweated every night for 2 hours, on a scratch paddock with 'some' good grass hay, in at night with small amount of hay.

Does he get grain? A pot belly usually means that he isn't getting enough nutrition! I learned that here and fixed my geldings belly by upping his grain! Limit his hay not his grain!

he's a cutie BTW!

Tammy

Thank you Indy'sMom. He is getting 2.5 lb of Safe Choice a day now. The pot belly started to show about a month after I got him from his breeder. She fed him a large blue coffee cup of Horseman's Edge a day and he looked great. I changed him to Plarform mini feed, thinking I was doing the right thing as I couldn't get the HE. He lost so much weight and got the belly.

He is gaining his weight back slowly, but the belly is not going away fast enough!
default_laugh.png

Also I am so excited...I posted a pic!! More to come later, but I sure ain't no photographer. lol

364211982.jpg

364211975.jpg

Ok these pics were taken a week later. Still a belly, but sweated all night the night before...by mistake but it sure helped. lol

And yes I have alot to learn about ring presentation!
default_smile.png

I am not seeing an overly big pot belly in the show pics. What percent protein is the Safe Choice? Usually young' ones need around 14% - 16% protein in their grain. They don't get enough in most grains. Also are you feeding beet pulp at all?

Safe choice is 14% Protein, in fact almost exactly the same make up as Strategy. Normally I feed Beet pulp in the winter to the big guys but they did so well on the Safe Choice we disn't this year. I haven't fed it to the minis. Should I?

Latest posts

Back