Suzi might be bred!!! OMG WAY TOO EARLY!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blusuzi

Reaction score
This scares me because she'll only be 2 in june. I knew she was in heat, so I had her in the dry lot while he was grazing. It's an electric tape fence and she was able to somehow pull the lower one down, duck under and run out to the pasture to him. We weren't home while all this was going on or we would have seen it sooner. Well we get home and there she is, happily grazing with him. I run out to go separate them, and he mounts her, and the deed was done. I've heard that you can ultrasound at 18 days. But what to do if she is preggers!!? I have mixed feelings about this because I really want a baby, but not if it's going to hurt her.

*sigh* Oh this was on wednesday

I"m sorry this happened to your filly and yes, she's way too young in my estimation.

But don't despair. Call your vet and he can come out and give an injection to solve the problem.

yes, 2 is way too young....ask your vet to give her the shot to have her absorb the baby, as u don't want to lose her....

I have had several mares covered at 2 and foal at 3. Minis mature (generally speaking) much earlier than bigger horses and I havent had any problems with mine.
default_smile.png

Similar thing happened with one of our stallions and our yearling filly late last summer. We were actually on vacation (I know, what's that? :bgrin). We had a "friend" staying at our home and caring for all the animals while we were gone. While she was at work one of our stallions and this yearling filly got out of their paddocks at the same time. There is a little history here that I won't go into but suffice it to say, the person watching our horses was not doing her job, and the horses escaped. I had another friend that I had checking up on the place when something didn't sound right and we found out from her that this had happened. The other "friend" wasn't even going to tell us that the stallion and filly were together because it was actually her fault this happened. As soon as we got home a few days later, I picked up the two shots I needed and gave them to the filly at the appropriate intervals to make sure she did not maintain a pregnancy. I was so upset that this happened because it wasn't an accident and could have been prevented. The shot is what you give mares to short cycle them and bring them into heat. It can cause intense shaking and sweating which it did to our filly. I wouldn't leave her side for the couple hours it took for the shot to wear off. It can actually make them feel colicky too. Of course I felt terrible about this whole thing and needless to say, we won't be having this person caring for our horses again. :no:

I have no personal experience but I have heard quite a few people say they breed their mares at 2...it all depends on how your mare acts. Is she generally calm, more laid back, more mature? Or does she still have baby spunk and act like a teenager? I've been told as long as the mare is acting mature, and ready for a foal, then everything should be ok.

Most important here, is the stallion taller, or smaller than your mare? If he is smaller you may not have issues...if he is taller, I would definately get the vet out to give her the shot. Too young and with a taller stallion could cause problems you'll very much regret in the future!

JMO.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for the input everyone. Suzi is pretty mature, though she can be spunky when the mood takes her
default_rolleyes.gif
: I really hope we won't have to abort but I'll see what the vet says. Oh and Stalker (the boy) is smaller than she is by a couple inches. She's my first mini and I've heard horror stories about breeding too early, the best one ending with the mare not taking to another stallion till she was five, the worst with the baby getting lodged in the pelvis and loosing both mare and baby. Grrr....Suzi why coulden't you just WAIT!!

[SIZE=14pt]I also have had fillies bred at two but....not till after their second birthday.... here is your problem. The registry at leastamhr will not register a foal born to a mare that has not reached her 3rd birthday when the foal is born. There are many breeders that breed at two IF their fillies are mentally and physically mature. Not Ideal but allowable .[/SIZE]

Lyn

[SIZE=14pt]I also have had fillies bred at two but....not till after their second birthday.... here is your problem. The registry at leastamhr will not register a foal born to a mare that has not reached her 3rd birthday when the foal is born. There are many breeders that breed at two IF their fillies are mentally and physically mature. Not Ideal but allowable .[/SIZE]

Lyn
NO lyn that isnt true.. I have called very recently for clarification on this since everyone has there own version of this rule...

According to the registry be it stallion or mare they can not be bred till the Jan of there 2nd year and the foals are then elgibile for registration. At least that is what they say this week anyway
default_wacko.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

Wanted to clarify I asked due to my stallions age we dont breed mares till at least 3 although even though we have B mares most not till 4-5 or later

Last edited:
lisa this is not what amhr told me regarding mares! I called and asked also. A mare cannot have any foals registered unless they were born after her real 3rd birthday (not jan)

It was always my understanding that they had to be past their ACTUAL 3rd birthday in order for the foal be eligible for registration, but I just went to the online rule book, and on page 235, Part 3 - B, this is what I found. It should answer the question as to whether the foal(if there is one) will be eligible for registration or not. Not sure if there is a 2006 version out yet, but this was all I could find on the site.

rule.jpg

Latest posts

Back