Surgery FRIDAY -- I'm All Set To Get It Done!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
08/18/09: Early this afternoon, I have an appointment with the surgeon who's going to do my surgery. He's Dr. Paul Kiernan and he sounds pretty awesome at what he does (see: http://www.healthgrades.com/directory_sear...MD-A0416E7A.cfm ).

I hope to find out when this will happen, if he thinks it can be done w/ cameras or not, how long he thinks I'll be in the hospital, how long I need to rest at home after I get out, ETC. I think from what my pulmonologist said, the time frame for the surgery will be soon. I already know the surgery will be at Inova Fairfax (one of the best hospitals in the Nation)

Will post an update when I can, but may possibly not be until later this evening depending upon traffic. I have a business seminar this evening and not sure I'll be online between the doctor's appointment and the seminar.

I feel so lucky this lung cancer was caught prior to any symptoms I could feel (no cough, never been a smoker) and before it had spread. Honestly, if not for one of my worst HORSE experiences (those colts from another farm who had Rhodo Pneumonia), I'd have never even gotten an order for a chest xray which got this diagnosis started. Life works in mysterious ways and sometimes the worst things you go through turn out to have a major silver lining. By the time I had symptoms like a cough that would have prompted an xray, things would not look nearly as good. As it is now, the prognosis is very good.

Thanks to everyone who has expressed well wishes to me the past couple of weeks. You all have really lifted my spirits and been a great source of comfort and strength.

08/19/09: My surgery is already scheduled, for Friday!

I have to go to Inova Fairfax Hospital this morning for pre-op bloodwork and EKG. Dr. Kiernan, the surgeon, is not convinced it's cancer (probably is, but not sure), but it has to come out because of where it is and how it's collapsed the lung around it. He explained 3 things he may do when he gets in there but I don't want to think too hard. Ranges from taking out the upper left lobe, possibly taking it out and doing some kind of a "sleeve" to the other lobe, or worst case (hoping big time not) taking the whole lung. I sure hope not. Apparently "where" this is in terms of the airway / wind pipe is a big deal.

In the surgeon's office yesterday, I found out he's actually the chief of thoracic surgery at Inova Fairfax, so he's one of the real big dogs in terms of this surgery and on the National level. So I am lucky to be in his hands. I already knew I was seeing some of the most elite, but I did not realize his level of expertise until yesterday. Just so lucky to live where I do.

Dr. Kiernan told me hospital for 1-3 days but only talked with him quickly. The nurse coordinator lady said really plan on at least 3 days, and at least 2wks at home to recover. I thought I might be back in the office a couple days after coming home so that part was unexpected.

I plan to take a laptop with me to the hospital, but am not sure if I can (access?) or will want to use it.

PS horse girl to the end, right now, one of my big concerns is if I can find the comfortable shoes that will be easy on / easy off like I'm to wear there that are not full of horse you know what!!! Honestly, I do not even know if I still own tennis shoes (did have some New Balance at one point, but my puppies might have done them in...).

08/20/09: I got all my pre-op bloodwork and EKG done yesterday, found some knock off croc shoes (didn't know where they sell the real kind... and wasn't in the mood to look too many places), and I think I am all packed and ready to go now. We want to leave by 5am tomorrow morning. Surgery is supposed to be 11am, but I am to be there at 8am. When the coordinator asked the doctor a question and told him it was set for 11am, I could tell he wanted to do it earlier from her reaction and she said if I get there early, I may get done early.

Here, we have (officially) the 2nd worst traffic in the Nation. The Inova Fairfax Hospital is about 70 miles away, but with the morning traffic in Northern VA, leaving 3hrs early is pretty much mandatory just in case.

Will update when I can. I did pack my old laptop to take, but am not sure when I'll be up to using it. I'm going to be in a really nice new wing of that hospital (and most likely a private room -- yay!), and would imagine they do have internet access available, but am unsure what I'll feel like doing there at first. But please know how much your well wishes and prayers mean to me. This place really has a close knit group of people and you all mean a lot to me.

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
You sound great Jill! Keep that spirit up and know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you the best today. I think keeping busy with how you are in your seminars and all helps keep things normal too. I can't wait until this is all past and behind you. All my best.

I'm so glad you have access to the best Doctors and Hospitals. It is a blessing knowing that you will be under the best care. Please keep us posted when you can.

That is wonderful Jill. I will be keeping you in my prayers. Keeping the candles lit for you anyway! A candle and prayer can help even minor set backs. I know your not sick but my Mom lights a candle all the time for me and it has helped me keep the faith that all will be OK when I am up against tough odds.

default_wub.png
So everyone light a candle for Jill Jill"s Candles

Great news Jill. I am so glad that you went when you did! I just know you are going to do great and be back to living a full life really soon. Best wishes to you.

Updated after your update: Will be praying for the best case scenario here Jill. Take care and get well soon girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will keep you in my thoughts Jill and I know you will come out of this just fine!

My surgery is already scheduled, for Friday!

I have to go to Inova Fairfax Hospital this morning for pre-op bloodwork and EKG. Dr. Kiernan, the surgeon, is not convinced it's cancer (probably is, but not sure), but it has to come out because of where it is and how it's collapsed the lung around it. He explained 3 things he may do when he gets in there but I don't want to think too hard. Ranges from taking out the upper left lobe, possibly taking it out and doing some kind of a "sleeve" to the other lobe, or worst case (hoping big time not) taking the whole lung. I sure hope not. Apparently "where" this is in terms of the airway / wind pipe is a big deal.

In the surgeon's office yesterday, I found out he's actually the chief of thoracic surgery at Inova Fairfax, so he's one of the real big dogs in terms of this surgery and on the National level. So I am lucky to be in his hands. I already knew I was seeing some of the most elite, but I did not realize his level of expertise until yesterday. Just so lucky to live where I do.

Dr. Kiernan told me hospital for 1-3 days but only talked with him quickly. The nurse coordinator lady said really plan on at least 3 days, and at least 2wks at home to recover. I thought I might be back in the office a couple days after coming home so that part was unexpected.

I plan to take a laptop with me to the hospital, but am not sure if I can (access?) or will want to use it.

PS horse girl to the end, right now, one of my big concerns is if I can find the comfortable shoes that will be easy on / easy off like I'm to wear there that are not full of horse you know what!!! Honestly, I do not even know if I still own tennis shoes (did have some New Balance at one point, but my puppies might have done them in...).

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Jill, don't push yourself too hard. I know how you don't want to get behind on your work but your health is the most important thing right now. Work can wait a couple weeks. It really can.
default_yes.gif

Jill you are in my thoughts and prayers and may you have a speedy recovery.

Lisa

You will definitely be in my prayers and thoughts on Friday. I think the colts with the rhodo pneumonia were His way of helping you and in the end may be the biggest blessing in disguise.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and a special prayer Friday morning.

Jill, hoping for the best of news for you.

As for shoes, get Crocs. So comfortable and easy on, easy off.

I am wearing my hot pink ones at work right now, having an arthritis problem and the swelling is making normal shoes so tight. Sure didn't plan on them being work shoes, so have ordered a pair in black.

Jill, I have been following your news. My thoughts are with you and good luck. I am sorry you have to go through this. It is tough but I know you will come through this with flying colors.

cyndia harris

Jill, you're in good hands. I'm glad they scheduled you quickly so that you can get this done and over with. I have a girlfriend that.... oh maybe 20 years ago (?) had her upper lobe in one of her lungs removed. (She was a smoker however.) But she functioned just fine and normally afterwards. And medical technology has come a long way since then. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and God bless.

default_laugh.png
If all you need to shop for are some slip-on shoes, you are OK!! Go do that and take your mind off of all else. Your office can be handled by dad & the assistants....Hubby can do horses & dogs.....family & forum can offer all the prayer support you will need.

Yep, I think you are ready for the great outcome we are all praying you have. Two weeks at home
default_rolleyes.gif
hmmmm -- internet will handle office "stuff" for you -- Do we need to send someone to control the time you spend in the pastures??
default_laugh.png

We are all keeping you in our thoughts -- good thoughts.

Latest posts

Back