Supplements for Stalllions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joylee123

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Just curious if/ what everyone uses as a supplement for breeding stallions
default_smile.png
Red Cell? Selenium? ????[/SIZE]

Joy

I only increase the daily balancer by a small amt. All nutrients must keep in balance, IMO.

Peggy

I don't use anything on my stallions other than to increase their grain and protein levels to accommodate their more energetic actions.

And check their vitamin levels. I have had the odd one drop down in Vitamin E and so I will give that or if one is slightly too aggressive (Usually a young stallion learning I will give vitamin B for its calming bonus)

I haven't found any supplements to be necessary here. My stallions are on a balanced diet year round and maintain their weight well. They generally live with their mares and they seem to be less stressed. The boys are pretty fat and sassy!
default_smile.png

I used to stand Appaloosa and QH stallions, not sure if you do things different with Mini's, but the only supplement I gave them was kelp meal from a local company. I would up their grain a little but that was it. I had a 100% conception rate and they never lost condition, so I guess they did fine with it.

I feed mine as much hay as they can clean up and if they can't keep weight on that then I add grain to their diet. If that still doesn't keep the weight on them at certain times of year
default_rolleyes.gif
I add some fat (corn oil) to their grain. Be careful with adding selenium - you only need to add it if it isn't already in their diet in sufficient quantities.

Latest posts

Back