Sun bleached mane/tail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingminihorses

Reaction score
What do you do for a sun bleached mane and tail? My mare's mane is supposed to be black but instead its a brownish/tan on the top layer of hair. I searched the topic and the only solution I could find was to color it with hair dye...is this legal in AMHA/AMHR? I can't remember where I read it but somewhere it said that color alteration such as dye/coloring was illegal at the shows.
default_unsure.png
What do you do?

Here's a pic of her:

241184332-M.jpg

correct me if i'm wrong gang but you are allowed to dye manes and tails

back only to their normal color

but no dying at all on body hair for amha/amhr/ptha

I do not believe any dying is allowed for 4h showing

Last edited by a moderator:
There are also color enhancing shampoos. If you want a non-horsey one that works great try Aveda shampoo and conditioner. Its only sold in salons, so ask your hairdresser if they carry it.

Yes you are allowed to dye mane and tail back to original color.

You could also overcut the mane a bit and get rid of that top layer of brown hair. However, if she lives outside, she will get sunbleached again. If you were looking for something to get her cleaned up for photos or a show this would work. There are products you can get with sunscreen in them but I have never used them to know if they work.

If she were going to a show, I would dye her mane and tail with Just For Men (not the brush on kind). That penetrates the hair very well and doesn't drip as bad as the other dyes I have tried. I would use a darkest brown or an almost black shade but NOT actual black (that never looks natural). Also, I would dye her mane prior to body clipping so if you do get any dye on her body, you're more likely to be able to clip it off. Aim to do it about 2wks prior to a show for best results
default_yes.gif

I second what Jill said.

One tip: when I do mine, I use foil to wrap around forelock and mane. This helps to keep it off the body while it is setting. I also use a trash bag cut open, put a slit through it, and pull the mane through. When it is time to rinse, rinse quickly in order not to dye any white spots. I learned that one the hard way :DOH!

For horses with white socks and anklets - I wrap their feet in vet wrap with a layer of cling wrap between it and the leg. That keeps any dye from getting into the white. I also take a big plastic grocery sack and put the tail in it and tie it up to the top of the dock. Keeps it off the legs. and the butt area, for those of us who have roan horses.

That's a good tip on the mane and forelock. You can get the same foil for baked potatoes in the store that they use in the hair salons.

For people - you can pick up the plastic drapes in a beauty mart that the hair salons use.

Latest posts

Back