Stupid question.......but

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question and I feel like such a woos.(spelling?)

It's been really cold here this week. The top temperature one day was about 7 degrees celcius. DONT LAUGH. PLEASE DON'T LAUGH. STOP IT.

My question is how do you people keep warm when you get those terrible freezing temperatures and all that snow?

My feet are freezing!

The rest of me is OK because I know how to dress....4 layers of trousers, 5 of tops, coat, beanie or 2, scarf, gloves. etc but my feet are FROZEN.

Do you have special boots??? And where can I get 'em?

Signed....Pathetic

Not a silly question at all!! Warm feet are a must in my opinion!

Make sure you have boots with a good thick sole. I often buy a pair one size larger than my normal summer sized shoes - room for your toes to move is essential. Then I add thermal insert soles (Damart) and my feet stay toasty warm!

Hope this helps, it works for me.
default_yes.gif

Anna

WWW.llbean.com has some good stuff for sure. this year we had one of the worse winters I have ever seen. My Husband orders all of his clothes from them. They are warm.. As he works out in the weather. He did say that he dont get cold. Hope this helps

I have bad circulation and Raynaud's disease (<--- link, think it's pretty common...). Once my feet get "that cold", there's really nothing that can warm them up other than external heat. I usually take a hot bath or soak my feet. H tells me to just put heavier socks on, but I think it would be about like putting a mitten on an ice cube.

One easier thing that helps, but not as much as the hot water, is to just repeatedly stretch your feet and wiggle your toes to encourage the blood to circulate better.

I'm sorry, I really am, but I can't help laughing. It's not that there is anything funny about frozen feet, but this:

....4 layers of trousers, 5 of tops, coat, beanie or 2, scarf, gloves.
default_laugh.png
On a day that got up to 7C?? Here 7C calls for a pair of sweatpants, T-shirt with a sweatshirt over top, perhaps a scarf around the neck and probably a light cap/hat. If there were a cold wind blowing then perhaps I would change to heavier fleece pants and perhaps add a light windbreaker jacket.
I don't wear more than triple layer pants when it's -35 or -40C in the coldest part of winter. Tops consist of the Tshirt, sweatshirt, and then a winter coat over top.

As for feet--I wear the Kamik style rubber boots that have felt liners--they are designed for temperatures of -40 or colder, depending which boot you buy--I always go barefoot in them and very rarely have cold feet. The boots are waterproof--when spring comes and we have mud/water lying around I usually keep right on wearing my winter boots, just because when you're puddling through icy water/mud doing chores, the lined boots are warmer than plain old rubber boots. Plus, my winter boots are much more comfortable than my plain rubber boots are. So, I wear the winter boots until the weather is absolutely too warm to continue wearing them.

If it were dry weather and 7C, I would be wearing my usual running shoes. As long as the ground is dry I'll wear those even if it's below freezing.

Here is the sort of winter boot I wear:

winter boots but they'd be a little warm for your weather!

Mountain Horse might have a boot that would work for you. I haven't bought any of them. I know they have insulated riding boots and people speak very highly of them. I haven't bought any of their products so can't give any personal recommendation. Here you go, perhaps something on this page would be good for you:

Mountain Horse

I went through this past winter without ever wearing gloves, a hat or a scarf. That was even when it was down to -50 F. Feet though, my feet are always cold! I wear thick wool socks and sometimes double up. The warmest boots I have are actually thick rubber boots I bought for the spring when it floods. I can wear those through 2 hours of chores and never get cold toes
default_smile.png
oh and a nice heated blanket for inside is nice too.

Insulated shoes/boots, fleece socks, foot warmers!!
default_yes.gif

WOOL SOCKS and more than one layer of socks. It's old fashioned but it works. Also, don't bind your feet to tightly with the layers. You need some air between for the layers to work.

No, I'm not laughing....I think many of us know exactly what you're experiencing.

Carharts and Muck boot company insulated boots (good to at least 40 below) plus thermal socks, hat and good gloves (still working on finding gloves that keep me warm and I can still work in).

My husband bought me a pair of battery operated self heating socks. Love them! Also around here in the winter (Nebraska, USA) stores sell shoe and glove inserts- little packages of sandlike stuff that you open up and they produce 8 hrs of heat for your toes or fingers. Love those, too. Cold toes make me cranky- ask my husband, he knows.

The rest of me is OK because I know how to dress....4 layers of trousers, 5 of tops, coat, beanie or 2, scarf, gloves. etc but my feet are FROZEN.
I can't help it, but I am laughing! I get a visual of the little brother in A Christmas Story... where the boy wants a BB gun for Christmas.... His little brother is sent off to school with a huge snowsuit and can't even move his arms! LOL!

Heck, we here in the northern states are from tough, hardy, pioneer stock! We consider 1º Celcius (35º F) a winter thaw and put on shorts and roll the windows down in the car! When it goes up to 4º C (40ºF) we bring the patio furniture out of storage and have BBQ's on the deck! And if it goes up a few degrees higher than that we'll put on our swimsuits for the BBQ!

Told you I was a woos (still can't spell).

Thanks for the suggestions. I have taken lots of notes and will try to track down something similar to save my poor little toes next time we have a balmy 7 degrees.

Like Jill, I also have Raynaud's disease. Luckily mine is much improved from a decade ago. Cold feet/hands is no laughing matter whether it is just from extreme temps or compounded by an autoimmune disease like Raynaud's. Wear wool socks, by the little packs of hand warmers and foot warmers that you shake up. They last for hours. Also eating lots of cayenne pepper helps. You can also get liquid cayenne at health food stores. Even if you don't suffer from Raynaud's and just feeling normal reactions to extreme cold it can still benefit you. Also investing in a pair of good boots with Goretex in them is worth it. You can find them at sporting goods stores or online.

Told you I was a woos (still can't spell).

Wuss....
default_laugh.png
But if you aren't USED to the cold it feels awful.

I HATE winter. It's the #1 reason I moved from PA to TX. Now, of course, we're baking in 100* heat...

I would layer everything. T-shirt, fleece jacket, coat. Jeans or sweats, thick socks and waterproof boots. Definitely a hat and gloves.

Exactly the same here as Chandab. Carharts and muck boots.

I remember being in tears and trying to walk on my heels because my toes were so frozen in those stupid thin rubber boots. Once I tried the insulted muck boots (rated by below zero temps as Chandab says) .... life was grand! I couldn't believe the difference. We all got them now here on the farm. They are pricey but oh so worth it.

I will say they will make you SWEAT in the spring/summer as they are so insulated. LOL

We wear the bib overalls by Carhart and then the carhart jacket overtop. Not only warmth, but it protects your clothes underneath. I"m known by all to have my PJs underneath them most of the time LOL

Holly also found gloves for all of us that are not only insulated but waterproof and boy are they great for reaching into buckets and water troughs to lift out broken ice - your hands don't feel a thing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back