Stupid donkey mommy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
Let me begin my story by saying, thankfully, everyone survived the incident and is unharmed. But I had a scary morning. My Diesel puppy is becoming my little sidekick and today he followed me out into the pasture to check on the big herd. The donkey boys both had their backs to us and were paying us no mind, about 15 yards away. I was petting Romeo (pinto/arab cross) and just moving on to pet Chic (breeding stock paint) when I saw Diesel heading back to the gate out of the corner of my eye. Then I saw a flash go by. Trooper was heading straight for him, head snaking close to the ground. I yelled at Diesel and he turned, saw Trooper coming and lit out for the fence. Unfortunately, even though he is one fast little pup, Trooper was faster. He struck out and rolled Diesel over. By now I am screaming, not sure what, I think it was "Stop It" or "No". Diesel is yelling and barking at Trooper from the ground and I was running at full speed. Full speed isn't fast for me on a good day and running through snow in boots and carharts sure didn't help things. I knew I wasn't going to make it there fast enough and I kept thinking, "I killed the dog", because I knew it was my fault he was in trouble. :eek: I should have kept an eye on him. Trooper, and by now Buddy, were just doing what we want them to do - protect the herd. I'm watching in slow motion and feel like I am in one of those dreams where you are running and not getting anywhere as I watch Trooper rearing up and striking out at Diesel. All the while I'm screaming and not knowing whether to stop and try to throw something to distract them or just keep running. Then right past me runs my hero and Diesel's savior, Romeo; streaking past me. Now, while I like to think that Romeo knew that I was terrified and was trying to save my little buddy (whom he has met riding the fourwheeler when I bring out hay and such) my head tells me that in actuality he probably thought we were playing some fun new game where we run around like chickens, screaming our fool heads off. Anyway he goes streaking by me and runs right between Trooper and Buddy and Diesel, breaking up the fight quite effectively. Chic comes into the picture too and in the melee, Diesel sees his chance to make a break for the fence. Trooper realizing his diabolical plan has been foiled runs to the gate and he and Buddy bray out their warning to Diesel, who was streaking for the house and Shannon. Poor Shannon comes out on the deck and goes, "What in the world is going on out there?" I look around and have to laugh as tears stream down my face (I cry at everything). Romeo is standing by me, head and tail as high up and he can get them and surveying the scene like, "Cool, let's play some more". Chic is standing next to Romeo watching her donkey boys with a quizzical look on her face and the donkey boys are both standing at the gate, heads extended braying for all they are worth. Bless his heart, Taron (28 yr old Arab) looks to have wandered a few steps our way and if he could shake his head tsk tsking and say, "kids", he would have. I kind of collapsed against Romeo at that point and gave him the biggest hug and kiss he has ever gotten as I told Shannon to check Diesel over. Miraculously he was unharmed. I am so mad at myself for setting this situation up and thank my guardian angel, and Romeo, for keeping our little Diesel safe. I don't think he'll be coming out to do chores with me again in the big pasture.
default_unsure.png
: :no:

OMG...yes, you had a moment :no: Sounds a bit like my yesterday.

I can NO longer trust my baby "Abbie" 6 months old ...anywhere open to my dog.

Sadly, the playing has turned visious (sp?)

Abbie almost nailed Hope with the stomping...running I am sure 25 miles an hour after her!!

Hope turned just in time...(her angels were on duty)....and it was MY last warning. :eek:

It will never happen again :no: ...sounds like you had the same revelation this weekend
default_sad.png

I am so glad Diesel is OK
default_yes.gif
:

What kind of dog is Diesel?

*OH ...I just noticed Diesel was a JR....they are tough...lol..I am sure his screeching and snarling broke the frenzy a bit. My sisters Jack has been chased around the pasture...he deserved it though...he was up in their face barking at them...they had enough and started chasing...more play like though (head up and acting goofy)..just like get out of here punk!!! This was a few years ago. I would NEVER trust them now after what I have seen with Abbie.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]So glad to hear Diesel is Ok
default_yes.gif
: , that sure was a scary monent to say the least. I am just so glad to hear you had a good ending, so many times people just dont watch there dogs and by the time they realize they are in with the donkeys~~~~ its too late. Corinne
[/SIZE]

Well I am glad your Deisel survived :aktion033: , you now know your donks will protect :aktion033:, you have a fabulous savior pony :eek: and you can move fast!
default_yes.gif
: You tell a great story..I was on the edge of my chair the whole time!

Wow, that had to have been scarey, I'm so glad your little dog is ok. My Maggie follows me all over but she knows that she is never allowed in any pens, she'll sit and wait for me but I still try to keep my eye on her. I'll bet your little one may not even want to go in there again.

I certainly needed more than a V8 smack today. :eek: Yes, my Diesel is one smart pup and I can just about guarantee that he will not set one paw on the other side of that fence again. It took him 20 minutes just to calm down and stop shaking, poor little one. :no:

so glad everything was OK!!! my JRT mix scares me to death chasing after them, but when they play together, it's so cute. he's pretty darn good about paying attention though... and i guess my donks have learned he won't really hurt them, they will even drink out of the water trough when he is cooling off IN IT (he thinks it's his private swimming pool LOL). our little rat terrier though she is terrified of the horses and donks so she stays well away thank goodness!

Latest posts

Back