Stringhalt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalbank

Reaction score
Me again!

Anyone on here had to deal with Stringhalt at all? I know what the signs are, but have never really looked into it until now. What's the treatment and outcome?

My grandma believes her big horse has it. He is around 25,as far as I know she hasn't tried anything.He's showed signs around 6months -1 year. She had quite ridding him because he is navicular as well,she also has another horse. He seems to do ok.

I had a friend whose riding horse, a 7 year old Quarterhorse gelding, developed stringhalt. She was a veterinary student at the time and took her horse in to Guelph University for the operation. It was somewhat successful and although he was no longer a show horse she could still ride him for pleasure. The operation can be totally successful or not at all or somewhere in between. He still moved with the typical spasmodic gait but was no longer hitting himself in the belly with each step. He was a gelding so not used for breeding anyway but no horse with this condition should be used for breeding at this point in time as it is not known for sure what causes it although they think it could possibly be related to ingestion of toxic plants.

Latest posts

Back