String halt in minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mo mhuirnín

Reaction score
We have a gelding who has string halt. I would like to know of others experience with this.

No, I have never had a mini with this, but I have had some with stifle issues which I think is more common in the mini's. I think if you keep your gelding out, not stalled it should help.

I just did a little research about it and found out that if it is caused by him eating something toxic that it could be a temporary problem. How long has he had it and how old is he? There is a surgery that fixes the problem, but that is probably real expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is coming five and he developed it this spring. He will go for a few months normal then it's back. We have him outside. surgery is not an option. He is in no pain and is a lovely little monster.

I read that sometimes they develop it from toxic plants and that it is neurological. Sometimes a horse will also get it when they age. Maybe since it goes away and then comes back he is eating something out there?

I wouldn't rule out surery too quickly, is a standing procedure, fairly simple and on my gelding was less then $100.

I was always led to believe string halt doesn't occur in horses under 13hh?

Maybe not impossible, but stringhalt is at least rare in ponies. I would question the diagnosis and if it turns out to be correct then I would look for a primary neurologic disease as a cause.

Dr. Taylor

I have actually never come across a case in any horse in all my life! I would have thought it to be highly unlikely and would ask for a second opinion.

Back in the 1950's the first horse I owned had string halt. She'd always had it (she was 14 when I got her) and it never bothered her. I did all Pony Club and Horse Club activities with her, hunted her, jumped her etc., eventually retiring her and then having her put to sleep at the age of 28.

With her, and with string halt in general as I understand it, the 'movement' is always there, it doesn't come and go with relatively long 'gaps' between bouts?? I would suggest that the posters mini might have a 'catching' stifle for some reason and not actually string halt?? I agree that I would be looking for a second opinion.

I've only ever known one horse with stringhalt; that was a Morgan stallion that someone in this province leased for a number of years. I don't think it was too profitable for that breeder to offer a stallion with stringhalt at stud--I know many people talked about how they'd never breed to him in case it were hereditary.

I also would wonder.... and seek a 2nd opinion. I've never come across it in my life either. Or does he have locking stifles? If you go to utube and search for Red Running Star... there are several videos of this horse, who got stringhalt and his progress and help with nutrition- he was doing great just a few short months later.

I've never seen "stringhalt" that wasn't actually diagnosed as something legit by a vet... Locking stifles in plenty of minis and Shetlands... EPSM in drafts, OCD in a Lippizaner (the joint one, not obsessive-compulsive!)

My friend has a Hafflinger cross that has stringhalt. He is pastured and not stalled as this makes it worse. I ride him occasionally and when first going out on trail after being trailered he has the "goose step" but within 5 minutes, walks out of it. She did have the surgery but it was unsuccessful. Winter time seems to be the worst for him.

Well this has been wonderful. I looked up the locking stifle and after viewing a few videos I see that that's what he has not stringhalt.

So any further insight on this would be great.

So my assumption when talking about surgery was that it was locking stifle, have seen it diagnosed as stringhalt often....there are a couple types of surgery I have had great success with here with some rescue horses, the tendon splitting is the least invasive...cutting the tendon has worked for the most severe case I have had done....excercise helps, good diet and a good farrier can also help but in my experiance surgery is the only "cure".

The two actually look very different- the locking stifle gets 'stuck behind' or doesnt want to or can't come forward and the stringhalt appears to be like an extreme goosestep (good description above) with an elevated step.

Not being confined will help the horse from locking up, but depends on how bad it is. I know someone who actually had a couple of youngsters put down they were so bad. Some cases are mild and occasional. I hate to say, but I see more in Minis than I would like to, due to conformation issues usually, but I have heard just about every excuse in the book for why the horse they just sold somebody has it.

My suggestion is to find another vet who is familiar with stifle issues (and that can tell the difference between the two!!) and get some suggestions, based on what they see with your particular case.

Latest posts

Back