Stretching halter horses question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSharpRanch

Reaction score
I come from the QH show ring so when I see stretched horses in halter it is very disturbing as, IMHO, it is very unflatering to the horses. And at AMHA shows it, according to the rule book, isn't allowed, however a lot of people show and place with the stretched horses. So my question is Why? Exactly what does stretching do? And there are some who not only stretch their horses but make them rock back on their forelegs, giving the impression that the horse is suffering from laminitis. Please inform me on exactly what it is about this that is attractive.

Thank you.

It suppose to give their backs to appear more flat. Say if you have a butt high horse you can help even that horse out by stetching him out and it drops his hind end. I don't mind a lil stretched out look its more common these days then perfectly square like a QH pose, but I don't want them to start showing like shetlands stretched out. The other way you describe haven't really seen what you describe unless they are just trying to back the horse to square him up up?

I think a big part is how we ask our horses to stretch their necks. Our goal is for them to stretch and hook their necks up and over, while not leaning their bodies forward. When they are set square, they have a stronger tendency to lean or step forward. When they are stretched, their center of gravity it moved back and they put pressure on their own back to level and raise their tails. Also when they do come forward, their shoulder is already rocked back so they tend to come up higher and remain cleaner at the base of their neck.

Of course, it is often taken to far or some horses just do not benefit from it. Some horses have such small rear ends and shallow hips that it only makes that worse. My biggest problem with it is what it can do to a horses proportions. When a horse is stretched they will appear longer and their legs shorter, one of the base flaws that we work so hard to fix.

Breeds shown stretched often want to accentuate a flat top line as well as make the horse appear more uphill (withers higher than the croup). Minis come in such varied types that some look better square, and others stretched. AMHR rules say you can show a horse either way, to its best advantage.

I like to stretch mine, but I have had a judge or two ask me to square my horse up to see them that way. So the judge can dictate as well occasionally.

In AMHA, they should be shown more square, as that is what the rule book prefers.

...and then there are those horses that just do it.

I began showing Mingus because he was a natural showoff -- this is a horse who will set up when someone comes into our drieway. He began parking out all on his own accord, and while he still tends to overdo it, to an extent it suits him, so I've always aimed at getting him to do it in moderation.

I think James may be right that some of thi comes from how we ask them to stretch and hook their necks. While I never encouraged Mingus to park out, I did work with him on giving beautiful neck. Of course, for all of that he still seems to think putting his ears back makes him look cool, so "good ears" is a continual project.

Latest posts

Back