Still Not Shed out......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennie_07

Reaction score
My 3 year old gelding has not shed out his winter coat all the way, I have brushed and brushed, but his belly still is fuzzy. Should I be concernd, could it be a vitamen deficiency?

I am getting worried because the last couple of years all my other mini and him have both shed out fine by now.

Thanks,

Jennie

We had several that didn't shed out completely. It has to do with our uncertain spring weather, they are just holding their winter coats longer. Now that it's gotten warm, we clipped their bellies and flanks just to get rid of the fuzzy stuff. They'll all be completely shed out in July!

I have one like this also (no way will she let me body clip her) and I'm in CA. The other one is not shed out all the way either but she never has a heavy coat so it doesn't look so thick and uncomfortable.

Kind of weird.

Liz V.

Thanks, I was unsure and it dident say any thing in any of my books!

thanks again,

Jennie

I had one horse who did not shed at all, so I just clipped her last weekend. She is MUCH happier now!!! :aktion033:

Liz R.

Horses aren't the only ones not shedding out... NONE of my Mother's animals (5 cats and one huge dog) had completely shed as little as a week ago. We just jit over 100 degrees here, though- no wonder they were all inside!

I will take the time to remind though, that non-shedding in big horses can be a sign of Cushings Disease- though it's usually seen in older horses, I've read about a few younger ones who end up with Cushings. Minis seem to have more problems shedding out, though- so it's bound to be alot harder to tell. I wouldn't worry much, since it seems like all the animals are doing it- and he did shed most of it. As I recall, Cushings horses flat out don't shed the winter coat... or shed very precious little of it.

Latest posts

Back