STIFLE UPDATE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeniemac

Reaction score
A while back I posted for some help on a weanling that come up with a stifle problem over night.

I want to thank everyone for their imput and suggestions. They were all good but nothing helped.

So after weighing in all the information and suggestions I decided to strip him of all his food for 36 hours except hay and then started a basic grain with no vitimans or suplements. Dropping his protien content to 10% and adding free choice minierals and some liquid vit. with his beet pulp.

I am excited to say that he is running bucking, and being a perfect weanling again. The problem dissappeared as fast as it appeared.

I don't know what it really was but he is showing no signs of any stifle problems at this point. It has been 3 weeks. My farrier said it might be the show food I had him on was to high in protein and he was growing faster than his legaments could catch up with.

I'll go with that...

So I guess I am saying is be careful on your feeding program what works for the majority of some doesn't work for others. I should have known all of this as I have been in the horse buisness for 30 years and never had this happen before.

There is always one that will teach you something or remind you to pay attention to what you are doing.

Again thanks for all your all help.

Jean, I'm glad you brought this up again. And very glad to hear your problem is resolving itself with a change in diet.

I have a friend who has 3 unrelated weanling fillies and all developed stifle problems. After visiting with her regarding diet, she was feeding a pelleted grain mix almost free choice. Throwing the balance of protein, vitamins and minerals way off. She has now changed the fillies to an appropriate diet and hopefully, the results will be the same as you have found.

Not all physical problems are caused by bad genes. Many are man made. We just need to be more aware of issues that 'killing them with kindness' can cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
aktion033.gif
That is wonderful news
aktion033.gif
well done

Latest posts

Back