Stifle Problems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, stifle problems are hereditary. Rather, not so much "stifle problems" themselves, but for sure the poor stifle conformation that leads to stifle problems--yes, certainly that poor conformation is hereditary.

As to whether it comes from the mare or the stallion or both--it can come from either, or both. The foal can inherit a poor stifle from one parent--someone might breed a mare with a weak stifle to a stallion with a strong stifle in hopes that the foal will take after the sire. However, the foal can just as easily take after the mare, and have her weak stifle (though yes, the foal could get lucky & take after its sire, and have a good stifle.) And of course if you breed weak stifle to weak stifle, chances are much better that the resulting foal will have poor stifle conformation.

More people need to educate themselves as to what makes a stifle strong or weak, and take a serious look at their breeding stock, and weed out those with poor stifle conformation. Too many people convince themselves that stifle problems are just growth issues, or injury related, and just continue to breed for poor stifles.

. Too many people convince themselves that stifle problems are just growth issues, or injury related, and just continue to breed for poor stifles.
Couldnt agree with you more!

How do you tell if the stallion/mare have stifle issues? They both look normal to me. The foal was born ok, but after time has passed, now his stifles lock. He can unlock them when he trots in the pasture, but when he slows down to a walk they lock up on him.

Horses that are too straight in the stifle will tend to have more issues than those which do not... but that is not always the case as I suspect the conformation of the actual joint inside might have something to do with it in some cases.

If you posted pictures of the sire and dam (and felt comfortable with our critiques) we might be able to tell you if either parent appears to be straight in the stifle?

You have gotten some good information so far.

Andrea

My smallest mare has stifle problems. At the walk she walks very stiff legged, she's only had one side lock up on her once. At the trot and canter and gallop, no problems. The breeder said he's not had anyother foals out of these parent have problems. I'm not sure if that's actually true, but my mare is 3 and is still havving prblems. I've done everything that vet said to do as far as the exercising goes. I will not breed her as I don't want another foal to end up like her. She's on joint supplements.

Christy

We have a filly with this problem also she would be a really nice show horse, but she cannot be locked in a stall as she will definately be stiff. We give her selenium, doesn't really seem to help though we have also given joint supplements. What is the best supplement to give them for this problem. We are not going to breed her either. I was told that her Grand-dam and great-grand-dam had this problem we used an outside stallion to breed, b/c the mare is the mother of my stallion and the other stallion was only a yearling. One foal from the breeding had a problem another foal with a different dam didn't.

Latest posts

Back