Starved minis in Mass

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Desiree, here in Arizona my bales of hay are over 100 pounds and each bale of bermuda costs at this time around $12 a bale, alfalfa weighs the same is is about $10 a bale. So, it depends on your hay weight, mine are 3 wire bales, not 2 wire so if I were to feed my mini's a half bale of hay a day, I would be arrested for killing them with kindness!!! One bale lasts one of my big horses a week.

That upsets me so much! She sound never be allowed to own any animals for the rest of her life. If anyone could PM me with what is going on or what is going to happen to these minis please do.

Dee

I would gladly take in one or two. I have 3 here now, and am home all the time. Poor babies need to learn what love is
wub.gif
And I have plenty to go around. I'm in Southern Maine so transport wouldn't be a problem.

Lee

I can help too. We have a mini trailer that can transport up to 6. So I can help with transport.

I'm in Maine. A trip to Mass would be a hop, skip, and a jump.

I can also take a mini or two.

Hello, first of all I'd like to extend my sincere thanks to all that have offered assistance. Cindy Moss also send her thanks and appreciation to those mini people who have offered transportation and homes for these 30 some minis that are in need.

I'll summerise what has happened and what will be coming. On Friday, the judge, because he could not find any law that would allow him to confiscate the minis before the people are convicted of wrong doing, has allowed the minis to remain with the owners. Appx 20 of the minis have been moved by the owners to other homes. Cindy and her group do not know where they are. Eight minis remain on the farm. There will be a pretrial hearling on Aug 12th for the owners.

Here is Cindys last update.-------------------------

Today was very short and to the point, and I will spare all of you the melodrama and histrionics. The judge grows increasingly impatient (putting it nicely) with Mr. Arnowitz' antics and disrespect. Maria Kelleghan appeared for the first time, and the two were formally arraigned. Pre-trial hearing was set for August 12.

In the meantime, the fate of the horses remains in the hands of the people who have been criminally charged with starving and abusing and neglecting them. There seems to be absolutely nothing we or the state of Massachusetts can do about it. Does this make any sense? Is it logical or just or humane? No. But it appears to be the law of the land. And just where does the MSPCA fit into all of this? Just what is their function, if not to act in a case like this one?

We are not giving up, and we will continue to keep this case in front of the public, and in the hearts and minds of the equine community.

We would like to make another plea for an attorney to come forward to offer assistance. There are a couple of issues remaining that would benefit from legal advice. If you are out there, and can give us a few hours of your time and expertise, our rescue committee and the horses we are fighting for would be very grateful.

Thank you once again for your support. I promise to stay in touch and keep you updated as this case moves through the courts.

Cindy Moses

President and Rescue Committee Chair

Northeast Miniature Horse Club

CMHR has offered a matching donation of $500 towards hiring a lawyer if they cannot find one to donate their time.

I will keep you all apprised of any up dates and again thank all who have offered support, homes and transportation.

Ginny StP

--------------------

Located in beautiful, Berryville

This is just horrible! Until alot of state and local laws are changed these poor animals will suffer. I hear this happening in state after state! I think we need to ban together and give it our all to change this law..if there is food/water on the premises...nothing can be done! This has happened up here to, the women has been jailed 3 times, kicked out of counties, all for animal abuse, but yet today...she still owns animals. My heart just goes ot to these poor animals. I will see what I can do to muster up some donations(money) for this and Kay if there is anything else you need help with let me know. Corinne

I saw something like that on animal planet once and the lady claimed that they were just old. Yet there teeth showed they were only about 2-3 years old. That makes me want to puke. It hurts to think that my coco could have went to a home like that if i had not got him. Now i just want more so i can make sure they dont go to a home like that.

smlotsocats said:
Desiree, here in Arizona my bales of hay are over 100 pounds and each bale of bermuda costs at this time around $12 a bale, alfalfa weighs the same is is about $10 a bale.  So, it depends on your hay weight, mine are 3 wire bales, not 2 wire so if I were to feed my mini's a half bale of hay a day, I would be arrested for killing them with kindness!!! One bale lasts one of my big horses a week.
421382[/snapback]

ok sorry, our bales are quite small.. i can pick one up buy my self!! (and i'm weak!)
rolleyes.gif
sorry for my rudeness

Latest posts

Back