Standard poodle questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCaseFamily00

Reaction score
We had to put our wonderful doberman to sleep last week and I said I would not get another big dog. We lost her and our dane to cancer,different types
default_no.gif
. We have a poodle who I love,I'v always had one. My moms cousin stopped by today and her ex has a standard poodle who is in need of a new home,along with a standard poodle/ giant snauzer cross. Do standards have about the same dispostion? I'm gonna try to get more info but it has to be quick. The owners is many states away and is coming in the next couple days. I know there was a discussion here awhile back but I couldn't find it. He is I believe 4,papers,not fixed,name is Max. Any thoughts would be appreciated
default_saludando.gif

Hello,

I have never owned a Standard poodle (or any poodle for that matter) but I have been a vet tech for almost three years and we have quite a few standard poodles that come into the clinic. Every Standard I have every met has been a joy to work with, we have never had any standards that we had to muzzle or had to watch for any attitude problems. Can't say for the bred as a whole but the limited experience I have had with them they seem like really sweet dogs. Good luck in your search and I am so sorry for the lose of your other two big dogs. I have had Dane's for years and it is always hard to lose one of them.

Josh

I don't really know much about Standard Poodles other than they are beautiful! With our dogs, we have been able to bond much closer to the ones we raise from puppies, vs. the ones we have taken in when they are older. We love them all, but there's a different, closer type of bond from what we've experienced in case that is useful information. Good luck and I am sorry about your doberman. I know how bad it hurts to loose a dog.

I really like Standard Poodles!!! I have heard nothing but good things about them....easy to train, laid back, great farm dogs, and the list could go on.

~kathryn

Im very sorry to hear about your Doberman. We lost 1 to cancer a couple years ago....it still hurts like it happened yesterday. I have never owned a standard poodle but I have met many....all being wonderful animals with such personalities!! I think you would have lots of fun with one. Let us know what you decide, good luck, heidi

I amso sorry to hear about your dog, it sure hurts to lose one of our furkids. We have 3 standard poodles. Two of which are puppies right now and only 3 months old. I have a friend who raised Spoos and was showing at the AKC shows, she moved from Germany to the states with her dogs. I fell in LOVE with the calm temperment they had over my toy poodle, who was more nippy and yappy. I personally think the spoo has a disposition all his very own over the toy and miniature sizes. They seem more human-like in so many ways. (hope you know what I meanby that..
default_rolleyes.gif
) Our adult (a intact male) is so calm and such a sweetheart. Our puppies seem to have the same personality as he does. They train so easy, compared to other breeds,because of there high rate of intelligence. (which is the reason they are used as circus dogs as well) Our male is 3 yrs old. We have gone to many nursing homes and hospitals and everyone falls in love with him and his easy ways. I think the discussion you are referring to was over my dogs. I used the word ROYAL, as denoting a ex-large standard poodle, and someone on this board had a fit about it, even tho she dont own a standard. If there is anything I can help you with just email me. [email protected]

Im so sorry to hear about your dog, and I think its great your trying to help this dog, heres a site I found doing a quick google search...

Poodle

I'm so sorry about your Dobie. It's so hard to loose them. Now, I've never owned a Standard, but I'm a groomer and have groomed many! I've also worked with them in obedience class and they are fantastic dogs! If you can afford to pay the groomer for a Standard, I say go for it! Let us know what you decide and pictures if you keep him!!! Of course the first thing I'd do is neuter him!

I called moms cousin and she's going to see if her ex has left OKlahoma yet if not he'll bring Max with him.He'll be back again in 2 weeks. I told her I want him to meet our family to make sure he likes everyone before I commit. I was a little worried because he's not fixed and my small poodle is a fixed male. My groomer charges $28.00 for my poodle,what does a standard usually go for? Thanks fo the input
default_saludando.gif

default_saludando.gif
I was a groomer for a vet years ago, so I groom my own poodles now. But, I do know a few groomers and they charge anywhere from $40.00(just a shave down or puppy clip) to $125..00 (with about $60.00 being the avg)it depends upon the clip, for a standard. That includes ears, nails and glands. With 3 spoos...I am so glad I can groom my own.
default_smile.png
(but now I seem to be clipping other friends dogs as well...
default_unsure.png
default_wink.png
) I just bought my DIL (they also have a 12 week old spoo pup) a really good book on learning to clip, its called poodle Clipping and Grooming by Shirlee Kalstone, if your not going to be exceptionally fussy about the cut..you might want to look into this book and try it yourself. Clipping your own can save you mega $$ in the end, and its really not that hard, and its the perfect bonding time with your furkid.
default_wub.png
Hope things work out for you. There are fantastic dogs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck! I've had great luck with bonding with older pets that I've adopted. They become my "babies" just like the babies I've raised. Does take a little longer, though.

default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
Cant wait to hear if everything works out. If you do keep him, I belong to a few really good Spoo forums, you would be welcome to join. I agree, older pets need a good loving home just as much as a new puppy, most make fantastic pets,(and of course the big plus side...no chewing stage and housebroken
default_smile.png
) and remember Spoos live to a good old age compared to alot of breeds. My sisters spoo is 17 yrs old, and doing great. I can also send you some really good informative sites if you would like.

As a ex dog grooming shop employee I can say the only thing bad about Standard Poodles is doing a show clip (although thankfully that was not my job) doing a puppy cut now that I could do well ok kinda I only got to practice on other employees dogs lol

I have never met one I didnt like and in fact if I were going to get another large dog I would seriously consider one

I would definitely have another standard poodle. Other than the grooming they are a wonderful dog.

Arlene

Latest posts

Back