Stalls door size/stall size/stall ideas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
We are hoping to replace our full sized stalls doors with cute little mini doors...anyone have them? did you build them or buy them? Id love to get some ideas and pics are always helpful! Thanks everyone!

Edit* & what size are your mini stalls?

Last edited by a moderator:
When the entire barn was set up for the minis, I used the 54"x48" stall hates with yokes. Openings were small enough to keep adult mini hoofs from ping through. I placed a 1x6 or 1x8 across the bottom to keep shavings from spilling into the aisle them mounted the gate so it was directly above the edge of the board. The foaling stalls had a heavy duty tarp laced around the bottom of the gate, see pic two. If you are wondering if the tarp portion has held up, well, it has been a few years now, and I redid the barn, enlarged two of the stalls for two big horses, raised the gates for them and the tarp is still in excellent condition, and holding up to a full size horse. If I didn't have foals at the time, I would have no need for the tarp portion, it was a precaution to prevent any leg injuries.

Edited to add, my mini stalls in that barn were 10x10, when I sold out and rearranged the barn, I changed it around and now have 2-10x20 stalls for the big guys with an aisle entrance and a front sliding stall door entrance, , and 2- 10x10s with the aisle entrance for the two minis. My other small barn is now used for hay, feed, and changed the 2 10x10s into a workshop and tool shed for my hubby. But had two ten by ten stalls, one seven by twelve, and two six by twelves, the smaller stalls were for single minis at night, but I did not use them for foaling.

http://forgetmenotminis.com/fun_pics/IMAG067A.JPG

http://forgetmenotminis.com/fun_pics/IMAG066A.JPG

We have two run-in sheds (both with tack rooms) for our "barns". One stall is 12x12 and one is 12x10. My husband put in a center post (6x6 I think) in the opening then hung three long boards (1x8? 2x8?) to divide each stall. He built dutch doors on the 12x12 shed, with the lower door being approximately 34" high. The other building is situated in such a way that wouldn't allow us to do the same (doors that would be left open, allowing free access, would block pathways). I opted to buy 4' gates like these: http://www.tractorsupply.com/galvanized-mesh-gate-4-ft--3602908. This has worked really well for us.

The stalls are 6x12 or 6x10, depending on the building. This gives each horse plenty of room to move around, do what they need do and even lie down with ease/comfort. We originally on had the 12x12 building and that first winter we had 3 blizzards (09/10). We would put two in each stall and they did fine for when they had to be stalled for extended times. During the worst of the storms, we'd close both top and bottom doors. It kept things really comfortable in there.

I would go for the most size you possibly can- the bigger the better IMO. Even though I do have four six X six stalls I always have ended up using them as two six X twelve, even for the show horses, and they are internal stalls, with free access over the walls, so they seem much bigger. Because my stalls are all cut down BH stalls I have some pretty odd sizes, but I kept the foaling stall, which is roughly 15X 20 unsectioned as I do like a big stall for foaling. So- go for as much room as you can and I am sure what you end up with will be fine!

I bought a nylon stall guard to put across my chicken house door to keep the horses out. My 32" tried to go under. The 36" tried to go over, and the 34" tries to go through. None were successful. It is adjustable for width. So, it's just a thought...

This picture shows my 32", looking into the chicken pen.

www.cassphoto.com/stallguard.jpg

Wow thats a nice chicken pen Marsha!

I have 4 big horses, a miniature horse, and 4 big stalls, so I use the area between two of the stalls that is where I store stuff/give the horses bathes for Éowyn. I cleared the area out and for a door I use plastic play pen fencing stuff (
b5319d4d122ef02f2811cd8a45f27a78.image.300x214.jpg
) and then put a bucket full of rocks in front of the gates on each side so she can't go through. She hasn't tried to go over and I think its too tall for her too.

Good luck! =)

Here are the stall gates I built. The width is custom to fit the open, so all 4 are slightly different and I think the height was 40" (I'd have to measure to be sure), my mares are mostly 36-38".

mini barn - inside east - sept 2.jpg

mini barn - inside west - sept 2.jpg

Pics were taken before I added the latches.

Edited to add, I found out last summer that new foals can slip through when trying to get to momma, only happened twice.
default_doh.gif
default_whistling.gif

in our 1 barn we have 6 stalls (3 10x10, 3 7x10,1 8x8) here are pics of each you can see the 8x8 in the background of the 3rd picture which is 1 of our foaling stalls
9230622020.jpg
9230622021.jpg
9230622023.jpg
then our 2nd barn has 6 10x10 stalls all are 4' gates see below
DSCF0005_zpsb77b0894.jpg
DSCF0004-1_zps7343b7e8.jpg
our 3rd barn is only 2 stalls and then storage for carts etc hay grain we bought this barn when we thought we were only going to have 2 miniatures the rest of our horses then were full size and we boarded full size horses back then.I don't have inside stall pics but it has 2 stalls and a little lean too hall area all of our doors are 4 foot. We also use our barn hallway as run ins incase the horses want to get out of the sun or wind during the day when they are out. They are all in at night.Our barns are set up great for us 1 large barn on each side of the house and the small one behind the house
june102010landscapeshotsoffarm001_zps437f1bee.jpg

It always is such fun to see everyones barns/stalls!
default_yes.gif
We built our barn this past summer for the arrival of our filly Misty. It is a 1 stall 10x12 with storage area for hay, feed, tack etc.... but we ended up getting Misty's stablemate Josie too!! She is a little dwarf born 1 month before Misty. When they come in at night they share the stall and have plenty of room to move about and lay down. During the day they are out in the field area but can go in their stall side or under the roof if the weather is bad.

]IMG_2961.JPGIMG_2963.JPGIMG_2968.JPGIMG_2969.JPGIMG_2970.jpgIMG_2972.JPGIMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2960.JPG

I bought a nylon stall guard to put across my chicken house door to keep the horses out. My 32" tried to go under. The 36" tried to go over, and the 34" tries to go through. None were successful. It is adjustable for width. So, it's just a thought...

This picture shows my 32", looking into the chicken pen.

www.cassphoto.com/stallguard.jpg
When we had just Bentley, we had a stall guard like that, but he spooked and he broke the clasps
default_sad.png
unfortunate since i really liked it LOL ;)

My husband built a 30 inch half door that goes to Divas 8x12 stall. I have a 4x8 area out side her stall where I can store hay. The door is just high enough that she can peek over it but can't jump out .

I own 7 minis.

Inside my barn I have 2 birthing stalls. (1 9x12 & 1 8x8)

HOWEVER, everyone lives outside in 4 sided lean-toos.

Both stallions have a 6x8 lean-too

1 mare pasture has a 6x8 lean-too

and main mare drylot has a 8x16 mini barn/run-in.

BUT my lean-toos more then less look like mini barns or glorafied dog houses.

All of them including the bigger one is movable by flatebed so NO permits needed to build them.

100_2825.jpg

100_2830.jpg

We really like having 12 x 12 stalls for many reasons..... Perfect for foaling and for a horse that has to be stuck inside because it's injured or sick. We also have a couple of full sized and they are okay in them too....... Lowering the gate so your mini can see out is good......40 inches high sounds about right.

I don't have any pics to post but will upload them later. I had someone put 6x6 posts put in the ground, total size of my "barn" is 12x30 which includes 2 12x12 stalls and a tack/feed room. A friend of mine helped put the siding on as I had just closed it off temporarily with osb boards for the last winter. While we were at it he enlarged my tack room so now I have 52 hay bales in there
default_smile.png

(30 more in the garage - its never big enough LOl)

He built a mini back door (at my request) so she can enter her pasture which is in the middle of the big pasture. I went pretty high on the front door as I have a big gelding. They can touch noses but she can't rear up or look over. Which is good when I'm riding because she goes crazy if I leave the riding arena with him and she can't see him, but if she's in the stall she "thinks" we're still around so she's quietly nibbling on her hay
default_smile.png

I preferred building my own vs getting a prefab one, less expensive, I can adjust things and fix something as needed and with the posts in the ground it's not going anywhere.

We have the double doors. To keep rain/wind out, the top door is closed and they can go in underneath the top door. If more ventilation is needed, both doors can be left open.

After Nicky's eye injury, he was trying to remove his eye cup on protruding edges, so we screwed stall mats on the walls--so they're kind of like horse rubber rooms. The inside doors have bars on the top, similar to Eagle Ring Farm's second photo. Nicky's next trick was to rear up and place his front hooves on the door edge to see where I was going whenever I left the barn. I was afraid he'd get a leg caught between the bars, so we cut pieces of stall mats, drilled holes in them and used zip ties to attach the mat pieces to the bars. The mat pieces prevent him from placing a hoof on the wooden edge but only extend up about another foot, so one still gets the ventilation effect of the bars.

The only comment I have on some of the other designs pictured here: Some of them seem kind of low to me.

On the first night we owned Coco, I locked her in the stall, but since it was a hot evening, I left the top door open for ventilation. I didn't know they could jump that high, especially with very little room to get a run at it. That's how she got herself pregnant... hopped right over that door (see photo with red arrow.)

001.jpg

To put it in perspective, this is how tall the lower door is compared to her (kinda' blurry, sorry.)

002.jpg

I haven't seen stall gates like this mentioned, but I have seen these used for minis and they work great. We have a number of them which we take to long shows so the minis can see out and have better ventilation.

stall gates 2011-07-18%2018_09_42.jpg

I bought these on Craigs List from a race horse trainer. Great price. :eek:)

I haven't seen stall gates like this mentioned, but I have seen these used for minis and they work great. We have a number of them which we take to long shows so the minis can see out and have better ventilation.

View attachment 14581

I bought these on Craigs List from a race horse trainer. Great price. :eek:)
Charlotte,

I could have used that, mounted upside down, for my chicken house. Chickens go in and out but horses stay out! Very cool!

Wonderful ideas everyone! Nice setups! Thank you all for sharing <3

Latest posts

Back