Stallion breeding contracts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
I am in need of making a breeding contract but not sure how it should be written. I know what I want in it but not sure how to make it sound professional. Can I see some of your breeding contracts to see how you have it set up and written?

Thanks so much,

Alisha

This is a breeding contract between Aztec Stables LLC, sole breeder of My Country Charly, a brown Appendix Quarter Horse stallion, registration number X0584422, and ____________________________, owner/leasee with breeding rights (circle one) of the mare ____________________________, registered with the __________________________ breed association, registry number _________________, according to the following terms and conditions and appropriate payment.

I Mare Requirements:

The mare owner certifies that the mare is healthy and disease free. She is reproductively sound and under the care of a qualified equine veterinarian with reproductive experience. She is under the age of 15 if this is her maiden breeding. The mare has not been bred or exposed to another stallion in the two cycles preceding breeding to My Country Charly. If she has, she has had/will have at least two doses of a synthetic prostaglandin. A full copy of the mare’s registration papers (if applicable), annual negative EIA test, and a letter from the mare’s veterinarian stating that the vet has examined the mare recently and certifies she is healthy and reproductively sound has been received by the stallion owner before semen is shipped. If the mare is leased, a permission letter from the owner is required. The mare MAY NOT be bred to any other stallion until she is confirmed open, and the stallion owner notified. Breeding to, or being exposed to, another stallion voids any and all live foal guarantees. Breeding Certificates will be issued when all fees are paid in full. Mares intending to qualify as Kentucky Bred must be registered with the AQHA, be bred in the state of Kentucky, and foal in the state of Kentucky.

II Stallion Statements:

My Country Charly is healthy and reproductively sound, and his semen is known to be motile and fertile. He has foals on the ground, with no known abortions. His semen is always evaluated before shipping/freezing/breeding, and a record of the evaluation are included with each dose. He has a current negative EIA test, as well as full vaccinations. He is EVA negative and vaccinated (12/2007), and has no known sexually transmitted diseases. He is registered as an Appendix with the American Quarter Horse Association, and his foals out of registered QH mares are eligible for registration with the AQHA. Charly is AQHA Incentive Fund Nominated for the 2008-breeding/2009-foaling year.

III Stud Fees:

All Fees are due IN FULL before semen is released, and are nonrefundable. $250 out of the Stud Fee is the Booking Fee, and is payable upon signing this contract. Any additional fees will be billed to the mare owner as they are incurred on their behalf. A Kentucky 6% sales tax is included in all prices. My Country Charly’s semen is available in three forms:

1) Frozen Semen: An industry standard dose of 800 million cells will be shipped in a breeding dose of four 0.5mL straws. Two cycles (two doses per cycle) are included in the stud fee of $550. Shipping and rental of a dry shipper is not included. Additional doses may be purchased at $100 per dose. It is IMPERITIVE that straws not warm above -120C. They must be stored in liquid nitrogen upon receipt. There is no refund for straws that were damaged or thawed accidentally. Unused straws may be returned for storage for a fee of 8.2¢ per straw per day. (Bulk rates available.) There will be no refunds issued on unused semen; the semen purchased and stored remains in the mare owner’s name.

2) Cooled Semen: An industry standard dose of 1000 million progressively motile cells will be shipped overnight for a breeding fee of $750. Two doses are included per shipment, if possible. All collection, shipping, etc fees are the responsibility of the mare owner. Fees for collection services and transport will be billed to the mare owner.

3) Fresh Semen: Fresh semen is available for local use. In addition to breeding/board fees, a stud fee of $750 applies. All stallion fees incurred on the mare owner’s behalf will be paid and billed to the mare owner.

IV Guarantee:

All breedings come with a live foal guarantee. In order to qualify for the live foal guarantee, the owner must:

1) Have their account with Aztec Stables paid in full.

2) Confirm the mare in foal at or around days 20 and 60. (Additional checks recommended at days 12, 35, 45, 90, and 120)

3) Take all due care to maintain the mare’s pregnancy, including Regumate or other therapeutic drugs as needed and directed by a veterinarian.

4) Be present at birth, or have a qualified foaling attendant present.

5) The foal must die before standing and nursing, or be unable to stand/nurse. If reasonable levels of care can allow the foal to live they MUST be taken. The foal cannot be allowed to die if there is a reasonable chance to save it.

6) If the mare dies at birth, all care must be taken to allow the foal to survive, ie nursemare or milk supplementation.

7) Notify the stallion owner within 24 hours of an abortion or death, and follow with documentation by the veterinarian who diagnosed the problem.

If the foal dies due to owner negligence, i.e. not being present at birth to avoid red bag or other avoidable dystocia, the guarantee is null and void. The following options are available for rebreeds that satisfy the above terms:

1) The mare may be rebred to My Country Charly for the normal shipping and collection fees.

2) Another mare owned by the same owner may be substituted if it satisfies the original requirements; the stallion owner approves her; and a full booking fee.

3) If not used, rebreed rights expire at the end of the calendar year the mare was expected to foal in unless medical reasons prohibit breeding, in which case the guarantee will extend an additional year. No refunds in any situation.

4) Breeding and rebred rights are nontransferable to another owner.

V “Upgrades”:

If the owner chooses to change the semen type, they may do so with the Stallion owner’s permission as long as their account is paid to date. The mare owner is responsible for the additional shipment/breeding fees normally required for the new semen type.

VI Limited Semen Supplies:

If there is a high demand on My Country Charly’s semen, it shall be distributed on a first come, first served program. If required, a M-W-F collection schedule will be implemented. Be sure to discuss this at time of signing. Mares will be shipped 1 dose if there is not enough semen for the standard two; no refunds apply.

VII Breeding:

The mare must be bred and managed by a qualified professional, ideally a veterinarian or breeding professional. The mare must be managed properly, with proper records which must be produced upon demand to the stallion owner. The collection and shipping fee is $300. Proper communication is essential to ensure timely shipping. The mare owner must give 24 hour notice to the stallion owner to arrange collection/shipping. A $50 late fee will be billed for same-day notification. Late notification may require counter-to-counter or delayed shipment. Such a delay is the sole responsibly of the mare owner, and in no way is the stallion owner liable. Standard shipping is overnight FedEx; counter-to-counter airline shipping is available in some situations for an additional $75 fee.

VIII Liability:

The mare owner assumes all liability in the breeding of their mare. In NO circumstances should the stallion owner, the collection facility, or any of the stallion owner’s agents be liable for any danger, infection, death, or injury to the mare, nor unavailability of semen. Should Charly die, all contracts are null and void, with no refunds to existing contracts.

IX Breaking of Contract:

Should the mare owner break the contract in any way or refuse payment they may be pursued by any legal means necessary to satisfy this contract. In the case of court proceedings, the stallion owner is entitled to payment for any and all legal fees related to the dispute. Inseminating another mare without the permission of the stallion owner is grounds for a second stud fee in addition to a $500 fine and voiding of all guarantees. Legal action may be taken, as well as withholding of registration papers for all foals until said fees are paid. All legal proceedings must be held in the county of Charly’s residency.

Type of Semen Requested: _________________________

Approximate Date of Breeding: ____/____/____ Doses (if frozen): ________

Name: _______________________________

Address: _______________________________

Phone: _______________________________

Signature: _______________________________ Date: ____/____/____

Ship-To Address: _______________________________

Phone: _______________________________

Stallion owner use: Payment received on: ____/____/____ First Shipment: ____/____/____

Approved on: ____/____/____ Second Shipment: ____/____/____

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!
default_smile.png

Alisha

Latest posts

Back