stallion behavior

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisco41

Reaction score
I am new to stallions. Not new to big horses. Have never wanted a stallion in the full size version but just recently got a mini stallion. He has a nice pedigree. great show record and has some nice babies on the ground. He is also the cutest most gorgeous lil thing..he bout hurts your eyes.

I have been trying to find a spot for him where he will be relatively quiet. He was hurt a few weeks ago ana his knee is swollen and gimpy. I would like to give it rest and cold tteartment. Here is the problem. He never stops. He prances and walks the fence. I put one mare in with him..he bred her and is now pacing the fence. He wants the other mares.

Also ihe has only been here 1 day..but I expect politeness. H eis a bit pushy, won;t stand and when i tried to file his front feet he rears.i would not let my little mares get away withth is behavior,.and certainly NOT my big girls. How much lee way do you cut for a stallion? if any. I am of th emindset that even stallions need to act like gentlemen,,,but is it too late to get mr Studly thinking the same thing? He has a show record..he must know how to stand politely?

In order to keep him quiet do you have a stall you could put him in for a few days? It would allow him to heal up. If not a stall maybe a small area away from you mares might do the trick as well. As to his behavior try to give him a couple of days to settle into his new home before messing with him much. He needs to aclimate to his new home as this can be stressful for them. Others might have different ideas but this has worked well for me. After he has his couple of days to settle in and you start doing things with him HE GETS NO LEEWAY WHATSOEVER. I expect our stallions to behave just as well as our mares/geldings if not better. While all horses vary in personality I have found at leat with our couple of stallions that if you give them an inch they tend to run much further with it then geldings and mares usually. He may be in miniature but he is the same as a full size stallion and can still be quite dangerous if allowed to misbehave. He will also sense if you are unsure or intimidated by him so try to have confidence when handling him. It might also not have been a wise idea to give him a mare if has just arrived and you have not established respect with him yet. I would have waited a couple of weeks before doing so. As to him being a show horse if he was showed halter and placed with a trainer he may not have a ton of handling. Some of the trainers don't like to mess with thier halter horses much so they have that "attitude" in the ring. Or he may have lots of handling and you just need work with him to earn his respect and demand that he be polite. Good luck with your boy.

OK, I hope I don't offend you, but any horse that is new to anyones farm should be quarenteened for at least three weeks. During this time, they get acclimated, and also if there is any illness it will show its self. Stallions even mini ones need to be taught that they are not the boss. You the human are at the top, the mares second, and he is at the bottom. Stallions also should be handled on a daily basis. I would recommend thaqt you put him in a stall, make sure he can see out of it, halter him daily and hand walk him, have the vet check his leg, do what is recommended, do not breed him to mares untill he understands the rules and is healthy. If necessary get professional help in training him, or he will walk all over you, without being taught how to behave. If he acts up in halter, snap it, bring him back to reality, you are his boss.

sorry for the second post, but this is bothering me, He might have hurt his leg to begin with by being put in with unreceptive mares, he must learn to respect mares and you. I would seriously recommend you have avet check his leg and not turn him out with other mares. Also watch out if you dont' stall him that he doesn't tear down the fence, as stallions only have one thing on their mind, and that is breeding. Yes, stallions can be eye candy, but must be taught manners as well, or gelded if they won't learn.

I do have a stall I could put him in but he would only pace in small circles which would be worse on his leg then walking a fence line. He seems to have calmed down a bit. I did some rearranging. He is still in with the first mare but he is close to the mare he knows( got both from same breeder) this seems to be working better.He is no longer pacing the fence and is settling down. I did not do quarentine. Sometimes when bringing in horses I do..esp if from an auction,,but in this case I did not.

I had added the mare thinking it would calm him last night. I had no idea they would breed. I didn't think she was in heat.

I did get his front feet trimmed. At least thats a start. I can't help but think long toes in front and unbalanced feet were adding to his discomfort from his knee injury.

I have an appointment Monday if he doesnt show soome improvement.

I am sure we wil be able to work through t his. He is actually a decent little guy. Just with an energy level I am unfamiliar with

Sedate him!

Get your Vet to prescribe you some diazepam (valium) and sedate him until he settles. Do not use anything like sedalin (acp) on a male either stallion or gelding, it can prolapse the penis and it is permanent

Sounds like he's coming around both with settling in and in starting to heal.

Each horse is different - but yes - even little stallions need to have politeness and manners. I have always followed the 3 second rule - he's really "naughty" or not following your rules, he gets "killed" for 3 seconds. Then I turn around and go on with whatever we were or are working on. I've learned that show ring training doesn't necessarily politeness/manners make. In fact, in too many cases, to me it seems like the manners aren't there at all and aren't even "known"!

Handle/school him the same way you do your mares. If he's rearing for hoof trimming, correct him and train him to stand and hold his hooves properly. If he's rearing for the fronts, I suspect he's not any better for his rear - just train him.

Our first stallion was a riding pony. He learned from the 1st week that I owned him, that when he was in "work mode", he was to ignore the girls - even if they ran up to him backwards and stuck their tails in his face! Years later, even after he'd gone to just a pasture breeding "pet" (the girls' had all outgrown him for riding, he wasn't being used for riding lessons, driving or regular pony rides), you could pull him out and work with him as long as you weren't using his "breeding chain" (see pp below). During his "work years" - he was a riding pony for 2 of our 3 daughters and went out on combined sex trail rides. Often he was the best mannered horse on the ride!! He was also used for 3 years for beginner riding lessons at a local barn - though usually he was the only one in the ring at the time depending on the level the kids were at. A good mind, consistent handling and work are what worked for him.

When you go to breed him - be consistent. I'd recommend developing a certain spot that you always go to to wash both of your horses and also use only one specific halter for breeding (for him). I didn't always have an extra halter for my breeding stallions - but they learned that if I brought out a certain chain (that I ran thru the halter rings and thru their mouths) - that it was breeding time. It gets to the point they get excited and "ready" when they see the chain coming - making it easier to wash and prepare them.

Our 2nd stallion took longer. He was a tough one to get settled. Our vet didn't recommend sedating him - but letting him run himself - and run he did. He refused to eat - and I spent many days, weeks - even months with him while he "stood" (constantly moving) tied and hand fed him. I despaired of ever having him "be a horse" - he was constantly screaming, constantly moving, pawing, rearing - even when tied or cross tied. I'm not sure when he finally started to settle. He'd been shown, he'd been started driving (I was a green driver and I sure wasn't going to try working him that way!!) and he was a blithering idiot when he arrived at our farm. I went to TX to pick him up and he was great - to load, to unload and play with at several places with my Dad (living in a special needs home) and haul home until we got to the farm with mares and ANOTHER STALLION... I even called the previous owner and asked what feed/hay she'd used for him and had it ordered in JUST FOR HIM to try to get him to eat. He went from beautifully round to a lean, mean running machine that was actually way too light and boney. To top it off, getting him to breed a mare was almost impossible - he was a shy breeder that was more concerned with everything else. None of the mares that I bred him to that first year settled (most of his semen ended up on the ground!). I decided to give him another year - to settle in, to learn the manners I was struggling to teach him (they don't learn if you can't even get their attention and he didn't give it easily). The 2nd year, he appeared to settle the one mare that I bred him to... But it was work to get her bred, let me tell you.

He and our original stallion got to the point where they "postured" and "played" running the fence lines off and on all day. They'd holler at each other, drive and herd "their mares", mark piles of manure at each end of their run. Never did get any real good pictures of either of them then - wish I had. Sometimes, much later, I would let one or the other into a pasture that put them next to each other - making sure that the fence was secure and that it was HOT. He finally seemed to accept that he was staying, that he had his own group of mares that weren't going to "the other one" and the manners finally started "sticking". I want to say it was the 3rd year before this occurred - so it took 2 solid years of dealing with his "crap". I am now ground driving him with one of the mares he's sired 3 foals with. They will work as a pair until I find a better match for either of them... Like our original stallion, he now understands and accepts that there is a "work mode", BUT it took years of work to get him to this point. It was a shocking surprise after handling him for a week with no other ponies/horses around. I wasn't prepared for the change in his personality and attitude.

As a teenager and as a young adult, I worked for several farms and ranches that had multiple stallions and never had what he became for a while. While he was only the 4th stallion I'd personally handled (2nd Shetland) on our farm, I didn't consider myself a complete beginner. He left me stunned and humbled! And then the work began to "bring him around". I'm glad that I gave him the chance! He's siring some really nice babies for us and is back to that original "nice" behavior he had when I first handled him, it took work to get there. In other situations and with some other people I know - he'd have either ended up dead, sold to some other
"poor soul" or gelded... Not sure that gelding would have worked with him at first, personally I don't think it would have made a difference right away.

Good luck with your boy.

Some stallions just pace and run all the time as long as they don't have any company. I would say that is normal stallion behavior. They instinctively wish to be with and protect mares at all times. I think it was the scott creek farm web site that wrote articles on giving your stallion a life. I have a difficulty keeping weight on my senior stallion because he has always been this way. But for the pushiness and disrespect, you need to make him behave, or at least reinforce those behaviors won't be tolerated. You can't let him think he owns you. I have only had one stallion whose behavior got out of control and I just gelded him. I have used valerian on spasmodic colic with success, perhaps you can try this on your boy, as a natural sedative.

I would like to put him in with my mares. But I am leary as there is a 6 week old baby on one of them, It is his baby that was born before he got here and I was assured he is safe with foals but am still scared for my baby He seems to have settled as long as he is very near them.

He isnt really a problem today. I hosed his knee and wrapped it after trimming his toes a little more. He still goes up when i do his feet, but it is not a big deal. I am confident in my ability to handle him. I am looking at him the way I look at any horse and if I wouldnt let my mares do it while i handle them..he is not allowede to do it either. That was my first instinct but felt the need to check.

He is a gorgeous doll baby. So happy he is here!

To answer question number one, how much leeway do you give a stallion? NONE. Manners are manners and I dont care if its a mare, gelding or stallion, there are 'rules'. Also, you will find with stallions that they are 'pushier' and you give them an inch, they will try to take a mile. I am speaking in a general term as some are very mild, but on the other end, some can be quite aggressive.

If you dont allow your mares that type of behavior, you should not be allowing him that type either. Nuf said.

It's spring, and he is wound up as all the mares are probably cycling. Not a great time to try to keep a nervous stallion quiet, lol You might try the herbal sedatives or 'quiet' pastes and see if that helps? Can you put him in a small stall and maybe put a bred mare next to him for company? Sounds like he is in a brand new place too, and has not even had a chance to develope a routine or settle in yet.

What kind of knee injury is it? What caused it? Was it merely a kick from a mare or did something else happen? Depending on what is going on, the excercise may help move the fluid out of there and I would not wrap it either. If it was a kick and nothing is broken or seriously damaged, he will be fine in a few days. Is he limping? Doesnt sound like it's enough to slow him down much.

I would start working on some manners and a routine with this guy before breeding.

Also, in regards to pasture breeding with a foal involved, I have always pastured my stallions with mares and mares with foals. Never had an incident. They have all accepted the foals to the point the foals would try to play with them- rearing up on the stallions and being naughty trying to get them to play. The stallions have always been very good about it. Granted, there probably are some stallions out there that cannot be pasture bred due to a nasty disposition, but then, I would consider also whether they are really what I would want to be breeding to as well.
default_yes.gif

Thank you for all the advise. It appeared he just wants to be with mares...as the one mare that turned out to be in heat was not enough to keep him relaxed. I put him out with the 2 mares and the foal and he is as happy as a clam. He is grazing and content to have some mares to be with. H ehas not been hyper in the least. Good boy!

I've worked with/ridden/driven Clyde stallions, QH stallions, various pony stallions, TB stallions and plenty of mini stallions...to answer your question they get NO leeway. They are expected to behave the same as geldings and mares. The stallions I've worked with you wouldn't even know they were a stallion unless you look.

Latest posts

Back