Stallion Agression Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My stallion is a sweet, well mannered gentlemen. Up until now, we have not had any issues. Just this spring (and I might have a hunch) he started charging at my geldings and attacking them through the fence. He is much smaller than them- he's 31" and they're both 41"- but it's causing stress on all three of them. But once he got in with them and was chasing them around, even though they bucked and pinned him to the ground, he got right back up and continued his little Napoleon act. I have wire no climb horse fencing with a strand of electric tape going along the top that separates him and the geldings and he doesn't seemed fazed by it. I know I should separate them, but when I do he becomes very aggressive towards the mares. Currently I have him fenced in his own paddock away from the mares and geldings, but I do not want him there full term as it does not have full access to fresh water so I have to haul it with my bad back.

My hunch is he looks at the geldings as opponents because all of our mares are in heat, he has bred every one of the mares. I know he is protective over them, but showing aggression towards them as well? My question is, when should I allow him out? (the mares and geldings will both be in their own pens).

Is my little man just angry at the world? LOL

It could be that he is worried that the geldings are going to get "his" girls, I would suggest you find a way to put him out so he doesn't see them and I also suggest you start him on a course of GastroGard cos ulcers are very common in these situations.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Renee - your geldings need to be removed completely out of the way. Not only is he considering them opposition, he will also be 'angry' with the mares and be trying to 'bully' them into having eyes for him only! He is simply following normal stallion instincts, so get those geldings moved as far away as possible, well out of both sight and earshot, before you put him back with his girls.
default_yes.gif

He is showing aggression to the mares because he doesnt want them by the other males. Stallions dont know another male horse is gelded and no threat- they just know it's another male. If you can put the geldings on the other side of the property, he will not fret so much and feel so threatened by other males in the area of his girls.

if you see him behaving like this again try running at him clapping your hands above your head yelling 'ha'. I tried this with my mare who was kicking and biting all the others in site when it was feed time. She's very well behaved now, her ears dont even go back now coz she knows I'll make her move. She is a mare tho, might not be effective with a testosterone filled stallion lol.

Back