Stabling show horses at home?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farina

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Do you stable your show horses at home? Or are they running in a dry lot with shelter?

I just can't decide if I put them all in stable or let them play and run outside. These are all mares and foals (ASPC and Mini) in the age range couple of weeks to 5 y-o. They won't do any harm to another one hoods, blankets, so no problems from here.

I have mine loose but really have no choice. If I had it my way I would stall mine like during feeding times and in the day and at least give them a turn out at night to avoid sun damage. Also mine would have outside runs no 10x10 stalls. I still feel like even show horses need some interaction with other horses too keep them happy.

Show horses do well in any situation.

Usually best if they can eat their meals by themselves though so you can monitor their weight.

My place is nothing fancy, just a barn my dad built, some fence, a couple paddocks and a few run in sheds. This is the setup that works for me..

Most of my stalls have a small paddock attached to them, so the horse can be inside or outside if they like. Most of the stall connected paddocks are just 3 12x12 roundpen pannels put together. But it gives the pony the chance to be inside or outside. I do have a door that I can open or close, so if the weather is to aweful or if we have a bunch of rain/snow, I can close them inside. I've found it works best if you can have them in the barn, or atleast by themselves to personalize the feeding. I have two larger pastures/drylots (mild pasture) that I turn everyone out on a couple times a week for part of the day.

Its also easier that way as I normally keep the stallions and show horses tails up, and they get pretty good at taking down each others tails...

Thank you all for your answers, we bring every one of them to her own stable for feeding time. But your answers gave me a heads up for turning them out and let them play.

Latest posts

Back