Spunky Mini- snow?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtominis

Reaction score
It snowed for the first time last night, and when I went to go see Teddy he was absolutely insane! He started prancing with his tail straight up like an arabian as soon as I got him out of his pasture, galloping around me in circles and rearing up when I tried to calm him down or pull on the lead. Any ideas how I can work with him in the winter while he's acting like this?

Ha!!! This is pretty common in my experience with the very first snowfall of the year. I took videos today of our weanlings going nuts and then the mares acting insane, including the one that is 7 months pregnant!! They were all bucking up a storm in their pasture. And there were only a few flakes of snow in the air - nothing on the ground! I would say make sure he gets turnout to run off the extra steam, but I think he should calm down as winter progresses. Oh, and take photos/videos! And you might need to "remind" him that when he is on the lead, that kind of behavior isn't tolerated. We got the weanling's halters off in a hurry, but they behaved fine while being led to their turnout.

the one time it snowed here in Texas a year or two ago, Bentley went nuts! He didnt know what to do with himself! He acted like a kid seeing his first snow LOL! But, I agree with Targetsmom, the behavior on the lead isnt tolerated, but in the pasture its fine!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back