Spring fever or what?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverRidgeMinis

Reaction score
We had a warm day this week (in the 50s) and the mares were acting goofy. Jumping on each other and

sort of acting like stallions. Two of the them were think are pregnant and should be 7 months along.

They were acting just as goofy as the maiden mares. I am worried they have slipped their foals.

The one mare was ultersound earlier and she was in foal for sure. The other mare is just huge and she

normally looks that way (right away) when she get pregnant. The stallion was in the next pasture but don't know if they really paying much attention to him. They sort of acted the same way the day before but the stallion wasn't out at all.

Anyone else in Kentucky, Ohio, or Indiana with horses with horses acting goofy on the few nice days we have had?

Freida

I'm in South Carolina and my mare who's due the first week of April took off like a fool and ran around like a goof ball today. They didn't get out yesterday due to the rain but man were they happy to get out today. My ancient one (he's around 40) ran today also. I think they are just enjoying the weather.

But if you seriously think they have slipped their foals, you might want to have them checked.

Karen

We had a warm day this week (in the 50s) and the mares were acting goofy. Jumping on each other and

sort of acting like stallions. ................

Freida
I'm no expert but a friend who been a breeder for 20+ years said that preg. mares will sometimes "mount" each other and it's no big deal. It has something to do with the hormones from the pregnancy.

After a month of below freezing temps here in Ohio - when it reached 40 last week, even I was jumping up and down........... :bgrin :aktion033:

Yes, we have some pregnant mares who have over the years mounted other mares - even late in their pregnancy.

Latest posts

Back